Rainbow Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

Here's one from last night. Very curly maple dyed with food coloring. Colors are in the order of the color spectrum or ROY G BIV,
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet. This is the first time I've done this on so short a barrel. I usually do it on a one piece slimline.
e50cbeb92b899e2b0d11ae4f0cd4698f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very lovely pen ... and very interesting !!

I'd love to know how you did that ... for example, what fluid were the dyes in ? ... how do you prevent the colors crossing over into each other?

mick

Very lovely pen ... and very interesting !!

I'd love to know how you did that ... for example, what fluid were the dyes in ? ... how do you prevent the colors crossing over into each other?
Mal, it's just gel type food coloring. The trick is start with the lighter colors. Fold a small piece of paper towel until you have a thick pad and then use the edge of that to apply a "wet"yellow band as wide as you want orange, yellow and green to be, leaving enough room for the red at the end. Once that's on apply the red to the end and work it into the yellow making the orange. It should take up about 1/3 if the yellow. Apply the blue on the other side of the yellow and blend it into the yellow making the green. You should have the ROY G B part of the blank done. (I do a bit of blending with a dry paper towel too). Once you've got all that put a little more blue so it's wet and work some red into it making the indigo. If you've spaced it out right you'll have just enough room to add some more red at the end and get the violet. Then buff it with a dry towel. Once it dries I CA finish it.
I hope I've not got you to confused?
I practiced a lot when I first started making them. I've got lots of maple so I'd just turn a piece and apply the food coloring. If I didn't like it I turned it down some and started over. Any other questions feel free to ask, I've got no secrets. Give it a try and good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

egnald

That is a cool technique. I will have to try it sometime. I too have an abundance of nicely figured maple with tight grain patterns, birds eyes and chatoyance. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom