Quick Skew question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

handplane

Since I have no local turners to ask, I'll ask here.

Do these shavings look like what I should be getting using a skew? They are very thin and just roll off the wood. They look like they came out of a fine tuned hand plane. This is maple that I am using for one of the challenge pens. The PR I turned came off the blank looking like fine hair. I'm still trying to figure the skew out but I think I'm on the right track.

Bryant

Attachments

• P1100157.JPG
    P1100157.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Since I have no local turners to ask, I'll ask here.

Do these shavings look like what I should be getting using a skew? This is maple that I am using for one of the challenge pens. The PR I turned came off the blank looking like fine hair. I'm still trying to figure the skew out but I think I'm on the right track.

Bryant
Here is what you DO NOT want!! BE carefull always. I had this experience the other night when I got distracted for a split second. :beat-up: I forgot to mention, you are looking good as to your original question.

Attachments

• peacock explosiona.jpg
    peacock explosiona.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What you are getting is a good start!!!

From the appearance, I would suggest moving the skew more rapidly from side to side and taking a finer cut. It appears you are cutting a little too deep, causing you to get your ribbons too tight.

If you have to have a problem, this is a GOOD one--don't change the angle you are using to approach the cut, IT looks great.

handplane

Thanks. I know it feels right. When I've used a skew in the past it never seemed to do what I wanted it to do. This time I made sure it was real sharp and started light and tried to ride the bevel all the time. It's very easy to tell when I'm getting to aggressive as it starts to chatter and leave a rough surface.

Hunter-27--all I can say is ouch! I've had my share of things like this happen and I try to be careful all the time. It only takes a second.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you get chatter, consider two things:
1) move your tool rest closer
2) check the pressure being exerted by your tailstock. Mine slips a little on the ways, thus loosening the grip, I have to turn it about half a turn tighter occasionally--otherwise I get the "Chatters"--- vibration.

handplane

I have the same issue with the tailstock. As for the tool rest, I ordered a new short one from rherrel today. It should get her in the next month or so (USPS is inconsistent at best here).

Fred

Bryant, I'm glad to see you getting acceptable results from using your skew. Once you master it I believe that you will find that this tool is a time saver since it will give you a far better surface and thus allow you to omit several grades of sandpaper. The skew is quite often the first tool I start off a project with.

Keep working with it and always keep it scary sharp. :biggrin:

Top Bottom