Questions, Questions, Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdat

Hope I'm not asking to many questions that have been asked before, I am trying to look thru the archives, but maybe not using the right search terms yet.[:I] Given that finishing can take quite awhile, how many people utilize multiple mandrels to store partially finished pens on? Gee, be a shame if I had to buy additional tools. :D Can you remove pens that are still "drying" and then replace them on the lathe to buff, or add additional coats of finish?

stilgar

As a lazy technique, I use old metal hangers to put partially finished pens. You have to be careful in removing the pen from the mandrels but it works if you are careful. You also have to make sure they do not fall off.

Of course, my wife was not too pleased with me cutting up some of her "old" clothes hangers [:D]. I did offer to tape them back together with Duct tape but she refused my generous offer.

dubdrvrkev

I use 4 mandrels, 5th is in the mail. But I know a few people make "finishing mandrels" out of 1/4-20 threaded rod and turn conical bushings out of scrap to keep barrels seperated and snug. Then just take a board and drill some 1/4" holes to stand them up in. I think Dario had a thread on here with pics of his set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom