Has anyone tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

L32

Several Years ago a finishing expert in one of the Wood working Mags. was asked " If you only had one finish available to you what would it be". He stated without hesitation Poly mixed 50/50 with thinner. I tried it and have been very satisfied with it on my flat work. You wipe it on with a rag (very thin) and it dries very quickly and several coats (sand and wipe down between each) can be applied in an afternoon. has anyone heard of this or tried it on pens? It's very durable and quick ..for Poly.

ryannmphs

Yep, that's pretty much what I do for my pens. I have yet to master the CA finish, besides that, I really don't care for the appearance of CA finish (to much like plastic, but that's just me[:D])

With the poly, yes it takes longer than CA I just plan accordingly, I get very satisfactory results every time.

I use the Wipe on poly, and thin it with less than 25% thinner for the first 2 coats, then 2 "full" strenght coats.

Ryan

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The one thing I don't like about poly is that I find it yellows with age...
I can apply a spray on lacquer finish in less time on the lathe... the down side is that I have to let the lacquer cure for at least 5 days before I buff out the blanks and assemble the pens..
But I have found the lacquer to be a warmer looking finish without the plastic feel of poly...
I also use Enduro for my pens for the same reason... again you need to let the finish cure. The final finish on lacquer and Enduro far outshine any other finish, IN MY OPINION...

L32

Im not familiar with Enduro is this something thats sprayed out of a can? What type of lacquer do you use griz? Is it out of a can or gun.

EDIT... Just found my answer on another thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom