Questions about rosewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bad

Last week my wife went up to Edmonton to visit family. While there she went to a hardwood specialty shop that we had heard about. She picked up three pieces of wood for me without knowing anything about wood. Yeah, I know it was a gamble but I like to gamble, LOL. Two of them were rosewood. One of them, Brazilian Rosewood, the guy at the store told her was extremely rare. Not sure about that as I've found several sources for it on the internet. The other one I Googled but couldn't find any reference to. He called it Khampai Rosewood. Has anyone heard of this? The third piece is Mun Ebony. I'm happy with the wood she chose for me and the price she paid. I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about these woods or has any comments. As soon as I replace the blade on my band saw I'll be cutting it up into pen blanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
The Mun Ebony could have come from Laos. It can crack if it was not dry when you bought. If the ends are waxed, be careful, it may be wet and cracking along the darker grain lines is not uncommon.

Russianwolf

Rarity is usually used to describe woods that are scarce on commercial levels. You won't find companies making Brazilian Rosewood furniture any longer as they used to do. Pieces of the zie that used to be available are now few and far between. Small pieces, like what we use, aren't too hard to find.

On the other, I'.m thinking the guy was trying to sell you Khamphi Rosewood. Google that.

bad

Rarity is usually used to describe woods that are scarce on commercial levels. You won't find companies making Brazilian Rosewood furniture any longer as they used to do. Pieces of the zie that used to be available are now few and far between. Small pieces, like what we use, aren't too hard to find.

On the other, I'.m thinking the guy was trying to sell you Khamphi Rosewood. Google that.

Mike, Khamphi Rosewood is exactly what it is. Thanks I appreciate the help.

Top Bottom