Question for John U

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Are Alumilite transparent blanks usually softer than the opaque blanks? I was working with a blank today that seemed unusually soft, after drilling the cap I noticed it was pliable. I drilled all my pen parts out and the real issue came when I went to turn the body the material was so soft it stripped the threads while turning. The blank had quite a bit of transparency with white streaks. I guess my question is, was this the transparency or was there not enough hardener when the blank was cast? Has anyone else had a soft blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Are Alumilite transparent blanks usually softer than the opaque blanks? I was working with a blank today that seemed unusually soft, after drilling the cap I noticed it was pliable. I drilled all my pen parts out and the real issue came when I went to turn the body the material was so soft it stripped the threads while turning. The blank had quite a bit of transparency with white streaks. I guess my question is, was this the transparency or was there not enough hardener when the blank was cast? Has anyone else had a soft blank?
I'm no JohnU but based on your description, it sounds like the blank didn't cure correctly. Whether that is due to not enough hardener, weather, old batch, etc., I don't know.

I've worked with various resins, mostly epoxy, to recognize what you're talking about. Did you cast the blank?

JohnU

With so many resin brands and types out there, it might be hard to pinpoint exactly what went wrong. PR will get soft under heat when working, epoxy can be soft or pliable when not fully cores, and urethane with White streaks in clear resin usually mean it's under mixed so the ratio of A/B could be off resulting in improperly cured resin. White streaked around the outer edge could also be humidity on the mold walls, but too much moisture would create a foam looking substance in the resin. I'm really hoping this wasn't one of my blanks…? I'd like to think I would have caught that in the quality control process.

Hippie3180

I purchased a lot of blanks from someone letting go of some excess. I bought them for much less than new blanks and there were quite a few probably 40ish. This was one in the bunch, it was partly transparent. I'm not sure how long this person had these before i got them, he's also in the Houston area where it's super humid and hot.

I mostly wonder if it was shorted on hardener?

Hippie3180

With so many resin brands and types out there, it might be hard to pinpoint exactly what went wrong. PR will get soft under heat when working, epoxy can be soft or pliable when not fully cores, and urethane with White streaks in clear resin usually mean it's under mixed so the ratio of A/B could be off resulting in improperly cured resin. White streaked around the outer edge could also be humidity on the mold walls, but too much moisture would create a foam looking substance in the resin. I'm really hoping this wasn't one of my blanks…? I'd like to think I would have caught that in the quality control process.
Oh no! It wasn't one of yours at all. I bought a lot of blanks from Simone letting go of excess for practice blanks. There are all kinds, some opaque some demonstrator blanks. This one was overall a peachy transparent with intentional white streaks, but it seemed unusually soft when I squared it up. Upon trying to turn things went off the rails when threads were stripped.I was just wondering what the issue could've been and know you have lots of experience in this area. I don't think it was a curing issue, this person had them in his shop for awhile.

JohnU

Ok, 😓. Sorry to hear about the issue. It might be a different type of resin that won't hold threads as well as urethane resin.

Kenny Durrant

Well John I guess you're now the official Alumilite spokes person on the IAP. I'm sure Curtis thanks you as well. Ha Ha. That's one of the things I like about this group. There's enough diversity among us to get good advice. Also maybe Alumilite should give you a check every now and then!!!

JohnU

Well John I guess you're now the official Alumilite spokes person on the IAP. I'm sure Curtis thanks you as well. Ha Ha. That's one of the things I like about this group. There's enough diversity among us to get good advice. Also maybe Alumilite should give you a check every now and then!!!
I've never claimed to be an expert at anything but I can definitely tell you what doesn't work. I've had plenty of that practice over the years. Lol.

Kenny Durrant

I've never claimed to be an expert at anything but I can definitely tell you what doesn't work. I've had plenty of that practice over the years. Lol.
I understand that. When someone asks me if I can "Teach" them I always reply I can tell you more of what not to do than what to do. That's probably true for most people out there.

ZanderPommo

John, if someone was pushed into a vat of alumilite and feathers you would literally be the first person subpoenaed by a court to testify as an expert witness.

You don't have to claim to be an expert. I speak for IAP and by the power vested in me without their consent I hereby nominate you as the foremost expert on clear alumilite resin casting.

Don't like it? Well, get over it.

Top Bottom