Question about multi color pours

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Tell me of I am wrong please.
I want to pour 2 or more colors so am I supposed to mix them in the cups and then wait until they start to gel then pour them into the mold in different patterns and slowly so they don't completely mix together? Single colors I understand just a little confusion on multi colors.
Thanks
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I do it by time. If you wait until it starts to gel... you will trap air.
Bubbles make for a bad cast.
I have a chart that includes temp., humidity, and even the colors that indicate to me when to add the catalyst and when I start the pour. I don't use it anymore.

Last edited:

Brooks803

Tell me of I am wrong please.
I want to pour 2 or more colors so am I supposed to mix them in the cups and then wait until they start to gel then pour them into the mold in different patterns and slowly so they don't completely mix together? Single colors I understand just a little confusion on multi colors.
Thanks
Jerry

That's pretty much how I do mine. You do have to get your timing down though and pour just before they gel. You can get very different swirls by how you pour into the mold so it's fun to experiment! If you're still needed some help shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do for ya!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
That's one way to do it. But if it gets too thick, it isn't so easy to mix
without trapping air, as Dozer said. I'll pour one color in the mold and
hold the second in the cup till I feel it getting ready. Then I pour it down
the stick and gently swirl.
Sometimes I'll mix the two early for a different kind of swirl (less defined)
Mix in separate containers, but the main color is in a larger container. I
pour the second color onto the top of the main color in 'squiggles' and
then pour them into the mold.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you want well defined separation then mix and pour one color and let it start to gel. With Alumilite you let it go until you see the very first HINT of it starting to thicken. Then QUICKLY mix the other color and pour it in while "swirling" the first color. The first will kick over as you mix it and will form lumps and bumps. The fresh will flow around it. You end up with something like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• _MG_7363.jpg
    _MG_7363.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 249
Top Bottom