Quality pen kit recommendations for a noob?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ndep

Hello, I have turned a few pens and am not happy with the quality of the pen kits I purchased (Spartan and Vertex). There's too much plastic for my liking and the click mechanism has neither a good tactile feel nor a strong click sound.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what specific kits are made out of quality materials and have well designed components/action.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@ndep

It would seem that you might have been shopping at PSI . . .

Try looking at ..... www.BereaHardwoods.com ..... Berea has a long-standing reputation for style and quality .... probably in the medium price range.

Also, if you have patience and determination, do some browsing at .... www.dayacom.com.tw
It's unlikely you will buy from this site .... their Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) is prohibitive, but some US vendors sell some of their products,
notably .... www.ExoticBlanks.com .... and a few others.

You don't say what your budget allows you to buy, nor do you say what your penmaking objectives are ..... selling ?, personal collecting ?, family gifts ?

If you disclose your objectives, I am sure there are folks here who can advise on which kits might appeal to you.

You want strong sound in a clicker ? . Hmmmm .... don't know what to say to that. . . I am just the opposite ..... prefer quiet reliability.
You can get that from the new "Berea Super Button Click" pen kit .... I'd say give it a try .... it is one of my favorite kits now that I've made a few.

Feel free to start a "Conversation" with me if you want to pick my brains, but I'd suggest you talk to as many as you can.

However, we would all need more info about your objectives, please.

BTW ..... Warm welcome to IAP !!! ... :D :D

its_virgil

As mentioned, the Super Button Click from Berea uses the best click mechanism used for kit pens: the Schmidt SKM 88

The SKM 88 is also used in a few PSI kits. It is an excellent click mechanism but also a quiet one. Not sure the click sound relates to quality. Maybe we are conditioned to the click sound from all of the freebie ballpoints we have used over the yrs.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Charlie_W

The Zen from Craft Supplies USA is another solid pen.....rollerball, one piece blank, magnetic -postable cap
You might also look at the Statesman pens.

Top Bottom