Quality Foot Switches ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Any one have a very good experience with a particular make and model? I want the on/off type (not the moment design). Looking for one for my table saw and one possibly for my lathe. I know where to find them; i just don't know which one to get. I have a good budget.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I was going to PM you about this but it is way too important.

I am going to hand it to you Tony. I have not answered posts here in quite awhile and did not have any intentions to again today. I came here to check on a PM I received and while I was here I thought I would catch up on what has been happening. You made me do it.

Then I read this post.

TONY and I say this with all respect because we have talked before via PM but I wanted all others to read it. Because I know there will be people here giving you makes and models. Those type switches are made for certain tools such as scrollsaws, air carvers and the like. By no means and I repeat 10000000 times do not and never do put any means of foot switches on any piece of machinery such as a tablesaw or lathe, planer, router, shaper, or others tools as the list goes on, that turns on the tool. Just think of the safety or lack of, aspect of what you are asking. You are accidently working on the saw or the lathe with your hands near a spinning object and you accindently step on that switch. We would be reading another injury report such as the bandsaw finger almost.

Please understand all aspects of any tool you are using and the respect that is needed when using said tools. Do not be lazy!!!!!!! Now if you want to add a oversized stop button then that is great but nothing but manufacturers switch to turn the tool on and off. Besides those switches can't handle the amperage of large machines.

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TonyL

Thank you very much John. I am actually looking for an oversize stop button so that don't have to reach across myself or let go of my work (on the table saw) to shut it off.

I am actually thinking of adding the off-switch to make tool operation safer. I didn't know there was such a thing as a foot off-only switch.

Thank you again! :)

Curly

John I believe the switches he is referring to are the guarded industrial switches, not the cheap ones sold by most woodworking catalogue outfits for hobbyists. For some machines like a drill press they can be useful because you don't need to let go of the work to turn the drill press on/off. You just take your toe off and the machine stops. Industrial switches range in price from about $50 to $500=. I can see having one on a saw to turn it on and off but would still have an emergency switch to slap or knee it off. I wouldn't use one on a lathe since we change position as we turn and finding it again quickly without looking ain't such a hot idea. A machine that you remain stationary maybe. A machine where you are moving around no. The safety considerations of each machine need to be carefully considered.

TEMCo Foot Switch CN0005 - 2x Heavy Duty Aluminum With Guard Electric NONC Dual Pedal Twin

Foot Switches Overview

Looks like I was wrong about the type of switch and reasoning behind it. Information still is valid under the right situations.

Last edited:

TonyL

I just want an off switch near my foot. I thought that was something out there :)

randyrls

Tony; You may be interested in a safety switch like this one. It has a large OFF paddle and a small inset ON switch. I have these on my power tools. I also added "kill" switches to all my power tools a long time ago after my table saw spontaneously turned on while I was reaching over the blade to pick up a cut-off.

TonyL

Thank you. I will probably get this and install near my knee. What does your kill switch look like and what is the difference please?

jttheclockman

Tony; You may be interested in a safety switch like this one. It has a large OFF paddle and a small inset ON switch. I have these on my power tools. I also added "kill" switches to all my power tools a long time ago after my table saw spontaneously turned on while I was reaching over the blade to pick up a cut-off.

Tony

Randy has the right idea when it comes to off switches. These are the type most home woodworkers use. They can be activated by your knee. No stumbling to find one with your foot as you kick it or such. Never use a remote switch either on a power tool such as described. Dust collectors are fine because you are not constantly touching it and they are usually in another room. But here again when cleaning or servicing, unplug or have a safety off switch near by. Woodcraft sells them as well. Most any place you buy power tools will have those.

Like I mentioned those type foot switches are mainly used on scrollsaws because you are constanly threading a blade if doing fret work. They are very convient then. Same thing if hand carving with a dremel or Fordom tool. One other factor if you use one of those foot switches on a scrollsaw or carving tool never buy a variable speed one. ( never use a sewing mchine foot switch on a variable speed tool.) You will burn the motor out on the tool. I always use a momentary foot switch on those tools because just taking the foot off. the switch stops the tool and you do not have to double click.

Good luck.

PS

I just read your other posting in this thread. I hate to tell you I do not like what you are saying. Stopping a tablesaw with material in contact with the blade is an absolutely no-no again. Yes there may come that rare occassion because of something gone wrong, thus the extra stop button. Unless your saw is utmost properly tuned and you have no runout in the arbor or things, you are opening yourself up for kickback. This is why you never back a piece out when the blade is spinning unless you are using a jig that has the material locked down and even then there is that chance. Please understand and respect the tools you are using. There are plenty of books out there that can help.

Work safe and have fun and enjoy woodworking.

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

I added a paddle to my table saw with a small hinge, plywood paddle with a hole for my finger to start the saw, and a square piece of wood attached to it so when I bump the paddle with me knee the square piece of wood hits my off switch. It is so convenient to use.

Top Bottom