Quality Control

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

George883

I've started to notice quality control issues with pen kits from a specific supplier; parts missing or threads stripped and etc. - frustrating. Today a transmission was too small to screw onto the male threads and another kit would only work when I put two springs in. Just venting and thanks for listening.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

What you bring up seems to be happening more and more; fortunately there are some really decent folks selling the kits, and most of them go out of their way to make things right - though not all.

George883

What you bring up seems to be happening more and more; fortunately there are some really decent folks selling the kits, and most of them go out of their way to make things right - though not all.
You're right, their customer service is pretty good. I just have to wait about a week to 10 days for the replacement parts.

Dr_N

I've had this issue some with PSI. When I have contacted them, they have been very responsive and sent replacement parts pretty quickly.

The one time I had this issue with exotic blanks, I received a call from Ed the same day and the replacement parts were here within days. Another reason I order from EB as much as I can!

DrD

Yeah, now that's another point. I don't think 7 to 10 days for replacement parts is good customer service. I recently had a factory defect with a Mistral. I called Chad at Turners Warehouse, emailed him a pic of the defect, and literally within 2 business days received a replacement - now that's customer service. On the other hand, another vendor I used to do business with takes 1 or more emails, a phone call or 2, and maybe within 2 to 3 weeks, I MIGHT get what was damaged or missing, and it's their kits that are prone to have missing parts.

turncrazy43

I stick with the vendors from IAP. They give good service and stand behind their products. They are usually less expensive than the big names. I would not switch for a dollar or two to someone that I don't know. Just saying.

I've had good luck with PSI and never had a problem when it comes to defective parts, which has only happened twice and the kits came from a different vendor selling PSI parts. They have always been quick to replace the part and I normally get it within a couple of days even if I bought the kits from a different vendor than PSI. And more importantly, they return emails and phone calls in a quick and timely response. Can't say that about some vendors. I won't do business with Pen Kits Mall due to the fact that it seems if you don't order something from them every two weeks they shut off your account. I've had some issues with other vendors and just decided that the headache wasn't worth the trouble. So I stick with just a couple even if they are a bit more expensive.

George883

I've had good luck with PSI and never had a problem when it comes to defective parts, which has only happened twice and the kits came from a different vendor selling PSI parts. They have always been quick to replace the part and I normally get it within a couple of days even if I bought the kits from a different vendor than PSI. And more importantly, they return emails and phone calls in a quick and timely response. Can't say that about some vendors. I won't do business with Pen Kits Mall due to the fact that it seems if you don't order something from them every two weeks they shut off your account. I've had some issues with other vendors and just decided that the headache wasn't worth the trouble. So I stick with just a couple even if they are a bit more expensive.
I've had good luck with them as well. Thanks.

DrD

We had mentioned customer service as a part of quality in this thread. I'll share an experience which touches on product quality and customer service. It started yesterday. I am still unpacking my pen turning stuff which was packed up 6 or so years ago for a relocation which led to 6 subsequent work related moves. The pen stuff never got unpacked until a few months back - and is still not completely done.

When Berea Hardwoods introduced the Streamline 7mm pen, and the Streamline Round Top 7mm pen, I bought packages of 10 each for each plating they had for each pen - this was a walk-in purchase.

Fast forward to today, and I find the cap/finial in 2 kits is missing: I in Titanium Gold and the other in Black Titanium. BHW responded back saying these 2 parts are not available. I asked to send the kits back then for a refund. They would only allow that if I had a receipt.

Now I refer you back to the afore mentioned 7 moves (original +6 subsequent). I don't save receipts anyway. They are quibbling over 2 cap finials which could not possibly cost them a buck apiece!

Hell will definitely freeze over before I ever buy anything else from Berea Hardwoods! Not over an inexpensive part, but their attitude.

So endeth the rant.

DrD

George883

We had mentioned customer service as a part of quality in this thread. I'll share an experience which touches on product quality and customer service. It started yesterday. I am still unpacking my pen turning stuff which was packed up 6 or so years ago for a relocation which led to 6 subsequent work related moves. The pen stuff never got unpacked until a few months back - and is still not completely done.

When Berea Hardwoods introduced the Streamline 7mm pen, and the Streamline Round Top 7mm pen, I bought packages of 10 each for each plating they had for each pen - this was a walk-in purchase.

Fast forward to today, and I find the cap/finial in 2 kits is missing: I in Titanium Gold and the other in Black Titanium. BHW responded back saying these 2 parts are not available. I asked to send the kits back then for a refund. They would only allow that if I had a receipt.

Now I refer you back to the afore mentioned 7 moves (original +6 subsequent). I don't save receipts anyway. They are quibbling over 2 cap finials which could not possibly cost them a buck apiece!

Hell will definitely freeze over before I ever buy anything else from Berea Hardwoods! Not over an inexpensive part, but their attitude.

So endeth the rant.

DrD
Sorry to hear that.

zig613

Perhaps it is just me but, asking for a receipt re a refund for a purchase that was made 6 years ago I don't think is unreasonable. Just saying... IMHO.

Wade

Last edited:

zig613

Do you save all your receipts?
No I don't however, I don't know of any vendors that I deal with that would provide a refund with or without a receipt after 6 years. This is just my opinion... nothing else.

Wade

Last edited:
Top Bottom