Puzzle #7

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When you need to take a break from #6, you can work on #7 for relaxation. :)

This is a word finder puzzle. There are 30 words hidden in the scrambled letters in the attached pdf file. The target words are all at least 3 letters long.

There is a common theme for all these words. Once you find a few likely words, you should get an idea of the theme. It is possible that there might be some random words in the grid, so if you find a valid English word that does not fit the overall theme, you probably should ignore it and keep looking.

Words might be horizontal, vertical, or diagonal and they might be forward or backward. All words are singular.

Here are the rules:
1. Print the scrambled letters in the attached file and look for the 30 words.
2. Make a numbered list (1-30) of all the words you find and put them in alphabetical order.
3. Send your entry to iap.puzzles@gmail.com and put Puzzle #7 in the Subject field and include your user name in the message
4. Your numbered, alphabetical list may be sent either as a Word, Text, Excel, or pdf attachment or in-line with your email message. I will let you know if I have difficulty opening any attachments.
5. This contest will close at noon CST on Monday, Feb 18.
6. Get all 30 words correct and you will earn 1 point.

Let me know if you have any questions.

As always, banter is encouraged, but please do not post any of the actual words or strong hints.

PLEASE BE SURE TO ALPHABETIZE YOUR LISTS. That will help make it easier for me to check your words against the master list.

Good luck,
Edgar

Attachments

• Puzzle7.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Well...i sent a list of 30 words but i'm second-guessing at least 2!! I think i'm over-thinking trying to think like Edgar thinks i think!! Been a fun ride so far. I'll go back to Puzzle 6 after church--it's going to take religion to put a dent in that one!!
earl

Chief TomaToe

This may or may not be answerable by Edgar, but I do have a question about the rules of this wordsearch. Namely, can two separate words share two consecutive letters? I found a word that I believe fits in the theme of the wordsearch, but it uses the two last letters of another word.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This may or may not be answerable by Edgar, but I do have a question about the rules of this wordsearch. Namely, can two separate words share two consecutive letters? I found a word that I believe fits in the theme of the wordsearch, but it uses the two last letters of another word.

I didn't check the grid to see exactly what word overlaps there are, but i did use the "maximize overlaps" setting, so I suppose such circumstances are possible. Not saying if that circumstance does or does not exist in this puzzle though.

1080Wayne

Last minute entry. Could only find 29. made up the last word :)

Suspect most of us did that . Several possible reasons .
1) As an engineer , Edgar may be a bit challenged at counting in anything other than binary .

2) There are lots of trees which none of us are aware of , but Edgar may be .

3) Many trees have several different common names , and Edgar may have chosen one that is not so common .

4) His use of the words `probably should ignore` when he talked about the possibility of encountering other English words implies that there was some intention to deceive us . Several of them relate to trees or properties thereof . That said , there was one which I felt was most appropriate , given the source of the tree list . I`m sure Edgar will have a good answer , some Monday .

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Last minute entry. Could only find 29. made up the last word :)

Suspect most of us did that . Several possible reasons .
1) As an engineer , Edgar may be a bit challenged at counting in anything other than binary .

2) There are lots of trees which none of us are aware of , but Edgar may be .

3) Many trees have several different common names , and Edgar may have chosen one that is not so common .

4) His use of the words `probably should ignore` when he talked about the possibility of encountering other English words implies that there was some intention to deceive us . Several of them relate to trees or properties thereof . That said , there was one which I felt was most appropriate , given the source of the tree list . I`m sure Edgar will have a good answer , some Monday .

I've never heard of a Pen Tree, but that's the word i used for #30 :) Figured since it was a pen Forum, Pen would work

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #7 Results

This one turned out to be a little more difficult than I expected, so I decided to award 2 points if you got all 30 words correct and 1 point if you got at least 25 correct. We had a total of 15 entries - 2 people earned 2 points and 8 people earned 1 point.

The words that I was looking for are:
ACACIA ALMOND ALMUG ALOE APPLE ASH BALSAM BROOM CAROB CEDAR CINNAMON CYPRESS DATE EBONY ELM FIG FIR MULBERRY MYRTLE OAK OLIVE PALM PINE POMEGRANATE POPLAR SHITTIM SYCAMORE TEREBINTH THORN WILLOW

The theme was "Trees that are mentioned in the Bible" or "Trees of the Holy Land". I did not ask you to state the theme, but I did suggest that it would probably be helpful if you could figure it out.

Some notes on my scoring decisions:
1. I did not accept random words like LEASH, NEW, PEN, etc that were clearly not trees - biblical or otherwise.

2. I did not accept BALM because it is an ointment, not a tree. Although it comes from the BALSAM tree, I don't believe there are any biblical references to a Balm Tree.

3. Even though it was an unintended random word, I did accept OIL because some versions of the bible do refer to an Oil Tree. Some scholars believe this refers to the Olive tree, but others are not convinced of that.

4. I did not accept tree names like BALSA, GUM, YEW, etc. because I do not believe they are mentioned in the Bible, nor are they native to the Holy Land. If you can convince me otherwise, I will reconsider.

5. If you submitted more than 30 words, I only considered the first 30 in your list. That is all that I asked for and it would not have been fair to consider more than 30 from some without giving everyone an opportunity to submit a larger list.

There are many versions of the Bible, and I am certainly not familiar with them all. If you used one or more words that were not on my acceptable list, and if you believe that it is mentioned as a tree in some version, please let me know the version and verse where it can be found and I will gladly reconsider your entry.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

More4dan

Balsa, Gum and Yew are in the Bible.

I’m sure of it.

It’s what the three Wise men brought when Jesus was born í*½í¸‚.

It's common knowledge that if they were "Wise Men" the had to be turners and really good ones no doubt. Their presents for the king of kings couldn't come in a plain old box. I'm sure they were segmented turned boxes of precious imported wood from far off lands, like Balsa, Gum, and Yew.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom