Purple Abalone on a Nouveau Sceptre Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

I made the blank with a single piece of purple tinted Abalone shell. I cast in LD for 24 hours at 50 psi. It's my third blank and second try with the abalone, the first was a failure. I thought it would match up well with a Chrome and Gold Nouveau Sceptre Twist kit. The single seam hides well under the clip. Comments, questions, and critiques are welcome.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice !!

So, Danny, the abalone that you use must be on a flexible sheet that you wrap around the brass tube ... is that right ?

More4dan

Very nice !!

So, Danny, the abalone that you use must be on a flexible sheet that you wrap around the brass tube ... is that right ?

It is the MicroFlex Abalone sheets from Mudhole.

http://www.mudhole.com/MicroFlex-Abalone-Shell-Inlay-Strips

They work like the video on the website. I used a heat gun to install the sheet on the tube. When it's hot it will bend but when it cools it will crack. This was on a 3/8" tube and worked well. I placed the tube between centers on the lathe and attached one end of the sheet. Applied heat with a heat gun until it became flexible and used a round piece of smooth plastic to rub the sheet against the tube. I did have to reheat a few times.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I wasn't sure how the blank would turn out, pardon the pun. I wasn't sure how the single seam would look. Only about half of the seam was even visible that hid easily behind the clip. The darker tinted Abalone was hard to photograph but it really is rich looking in person.

Danny

OZturner

Magnificent Pen Danny,
Excellent Abalone Blank, Beautifully Fitted, Cast and Finished
Thank you for the Source Information, I enjoyed their Video.
Congratulations, I am sure your LSU Friend will be Delighted.
Brian.

Talltim

Question for more4dan. I know I am dragging up an old thread but I had a question about the application of the Abalone.

Did you measure the tube and figure out the circumference and cut the abalone before you wrapped it? When you made the seam did you do a light overlap and then cut so it would match exactly?

Did you just us the adhesive back to fasten it to the tube or did you glue it?

how do you think the appearance is compared to a strip glued blank?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to sort things out to speed the learning curve.

Love the pen.

Last edited:

More4dan

Question for more4dan. I know I am dragging up an old thread but I had a question about the application of the Abalone.

Did you measure the tube and figure out the circumference and cut the abalone before you wrapped it? When you made the seam did you do a light overlap and then cut so it would match exactly?

Did you just us the adhesive back to fasten it to the tube or did you glue it?

how do you think the appearance is compared to a strip glued blank?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to sort things out to speed the learning curve.

Love the pen.

I wrapped the tube with painter's tape overlapping the tape. I then cut the tape along the overlap with an exacto knife. I used this cut tape and paced over the Abalone sheet. I cut the sheet with scissors to the tape. I then attached the sheet directly to the tube without any additional glue and without any trimming. I did paint the tube close to the Abalone color. About half the seam showed slightly only when holding at a single angle to the light and I was looking for it. It doesn't really show. Maybe I got lucky.

I like the look of both the strips and continuous sheet with the single seam. My initial plan was to cut strips but after this one I will likely do it this way for the rest of the Abalone sheet.

Hope this helps. Don't use a sharpie to color the edge though! If I had painted the edge I likely couldn't see the seam at all.

Danny

Last edited:

magpens

"Hope this helps. Don't use a sharpie to color the edge though! If I had painted the edge I likely couldn't see the seam at all.
Danny"
So, Danny, did you or did not not use a sharpie to color (paint) the edge ? Thanks.

More4dan

"Hope this helps. Don't use a sharpie to color the edge though! If I had painted the edge I likely couldn't see the seam at all.
Danny"
So, Danny, did you or did not not use a sharpie to color (paint) the edge ? Thanks.

Here is what happens with a Sharpie and Liquid Diamonds.

DO NOT USE A SHARPIE!

Unless you like the orange stripe look. It will hide the seam, just not in a good way.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 161

magpens

"Here is what happens with a Sharpie and Liquid Diamonds.
DO NOT USE A SHARPIE!
Unless you like the orange stripe look. It will hide the seam, just not in a good way.
Danny"
Hmmm ... thanks for showing ... point taken !!

Top Bottom