Pump Dispensers for resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I thought I would cut down on waste by using a pump bottle to dispense my PR. I bought a few pump bottles and some extra pump heads from US Plastics, they arrived Friday. I got around to looking at them, Yep the pump would not go on the gallon can, so I had to pour the resin into the gallon jug for the pump. Well, the pump which is supposed to be a 1 ounce pump doesn't pump 1 ounce. It pumps less, then the durn thing just keeps dripping, and dripping... I would pull the pump head but there isn't a cap to go on the bottle.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? How did you deal with it other than throwing away the pump & bottle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Draken

I don't see the pump working for very long. The resin will eventually harden when exposed to air, just takes much longer without any catalyst. Sooner or later the pump will get gummed up and not function any more. Neat idea, but I don't think you'll have much long term luck with it. :(

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I would be happy if I could just have less mess to deal with than pouring a few ounces of resin into a mixing cup every so often.

Instead of a pump, could I just transfer the contents of my gallon can of PR to a few platic squeeze bottles? If so what kind of plastic would I use (what number would be in the triangle on the bottom)?

jcollazo

I bought several of the pumps from TAP plastics and they work fine but after each use (session)vthey just gum up. At $2.85 each it's not a cost effective way of transferring the resin. I did buy a box of snow cone cups and after cutting off the bottom they make great single use funnels.

As far as use plastic squeeze bottles... the best would be #1 polyethylene. However, even those will melt if you store the resin for more than a day.

Modelmaker

I would like to suggest the dispenser bottles from Alumilite.
I tried searching for them on their site, but they changed thier site and I can't find them now. IIRC they are about $1 each and hold a quart, I usually buy a dozen at a time because I get the resins in 5 gallon buckets
I'm sure if you call them up and ask them, they'll have them

PaulDoug

I purchased some fro Raka Epoxy off the internet when I ordered epoxy and harderner from them for a boat I'm making a career of working on. They have worked geat foe a couple years. You micht check them out and see what they have.

Draken

Try pouring with the opening at the top and see if that doesn't cut down on some of the mess. The pour is much more easily controlled in this fashion. If you are already doing that, then please describe the mess/waste problems you are having so we can better assist you.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
The problem I've had is that it is difficult to make a clean pour of a few ounces out of a one gallon can. Unlike a milk jug, the opening is some distance from the edge, so some of the resin ends up collecting on the top of the can between the spout and the raised edge of the lip. Also it is a bit harder to control the pour, so I end with anywhere between a few drops to half an ounce spilled on the floor.

My current solution is to go outside an put the cup on the road and pour there. That way any spill ends up outside, well away from my garage shop.

I was hoping to get some 16 to 32 ounce bottles as an intermediate stage. Those size bottles are easier to manage for small pours when I want to make a few blanks using a Gadget mold.

I will check out the links provided and see what I can find. I am guessing that Polypropelyne is the way to go as the molds that are recommended in many of the writeups are made of that material.

I got tired of fighting the resin on the top of the can. That is why I looked at the pumps. It's a pity I didn't save my money.

I put parchement paper down on my work table. Parchment paper is siliconised, so your cookies don't stick when you bake on it, so I figured why not, plus no wax to accidentaly get in your resins. Throw it away when done and roll out some more when you need it.

el_d

I use 2 inch masking tape and tape an "extension" to the threads of the gallon can.
Before I pour I make sure the tape is nice and tight on the threads so nothing leaks out the bottom. I can also kinda shape the spout if I need to. After Im done I use a papper towel to wipe down the top and throw away the used tape. It has worked great for me so far.[8D]

terrymiller

If you are looking for plastic bottles try the ones from sally's beauty supply. I use them for my acetone/plexiglass finish I have some over two years old and no signs of wear.

ldb2000

I simply punch a hole with a nail into the seal plug in the can so only a small stream pours out at a time , it makes it much easier to pour it without a mess

follow3

Hey All,

I tried the pump idea only to have them get gummed up. I also tried the squeeze bottle idea and they melted. I finally had an idea that I tried recently and it is working great. It makes storing, pouring and using my resin MUCH easier!!! Here is what I am now using:

200841955355_Pens%20001.jpg

This container came from BJ's Wholesale club. It holds 2.34 gallons and is made of HDPE. That's the same thing the cutting boards are made from I beleive, so there should be no problem with the resin "melting" the plastic.

200841955559_Pens%20002.jpg

It has a convenient push button dispencer just like a water cooler. I just put the container on the edge of my work bench and hold my cup under the spout and pour. It seals up nice and tight. So far I have used it to dispence resin for 4 pours and have not dropped, leaked or lost 1 drop! The spout unscrews, so if it gets clogged up like the pumps did, I should be able to clean it up with acetone. Also, the opening where the spout is installed is just the right size for the spout from the 1 gallon cans of Silmar 41 to fit into to transfer from the can to the plastic container.

So far the only problem I have had with this system is getting the bottle cleaned after the soap is all gone. It just keeps making bubbles!!!:D

This has been one of the best helpers I have stumbled onto for my resin casting activities. I couldn't wait to share it with Y'all.
Give it a try. Another idea, if you can't find this type of container... a 1 or 2 gallon plastic gas can like you use for your lawn mower. They are made of HDPE and have a nice long spout for pouring.

Good luck,
Steve

That is a good idea. I have an ALL jug about half empty now. I wonder how many washes of clothes it would take to empty it???? Course I think I would get yelled at even more than usual for doing 10 loads of laundry in one day.

I pulled the pump and sent it to the trash. The jug is presently sealed with a 1 ounce measure.

jcollazo

Originally posted by follow3
This has been one of the best helpers I have stumbled onto for my resin casting activities. I couldn't wait to share it with Y'all.
Give it a try. Another idea, if you can't find this type of container... a 1 or 2 gallon plastic gas can like you use for your lawn mower. They are made of HDPE and have a nice long spout for pouring.

Give that man a cigar!!!:)

And as it usually happens, I threw 2 of those containers away last weekend:(

It's time to go scrounging. Thanks for the tip.

PaulDoug

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher

That is a good idea. I have an ALL jug about half empty now. I wonder how many washes of clothes it would take to empty it???? Course I think I would get yelled at even more than usual for doing 10 loads of laundry in one day.

I pulled the pump and sent it to the trash. The jug is presently sealed with a 1 ounce measure.

Pour the soap into something else and get on with the jug... My wife is wondering why I finally started bringing my clothes to the laundry room like she has always requested and even doing my own laundry;). :D

bitshird

Originally posted by 1TJTurner

That is a great idea! I hope my wife does not expect me to continue doing the laundry after I get my soap Jug! LOL![:I][}:)];)
I'm with you, My wife walked in to school a few weeks ago and found out I actually did know how to use a mop, and this was on a Machine shop floor, I explained to her that it was a completely different procedure,

duh.gif

I'm not real sure she bought it, but thats my story and I'm sticking to it [B)][B)][:eek:)]

Top Bottom