PSI Dog Click and Wooden N Whimsies Paw Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Hey Folks:

Made this for my wife. It actually has more of a black background.
Seems like a well-made kit. The clicker has some plastic in it, but works well (so far). The folks at WW sure make it easy to turn these inlay blanks.

Gluboost finish.

Attachments

• Dog Pen A.jpg
    Dog Pen A.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 329
  • Dog Pen B.jpg
    Dog Pen B.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 323
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice looking pen, Tony ... as you say, WNW makes it quite easy to complete their laser-cut inlay blanks.

Keep an eye on the pen clip function as the clip is used and let me know if you observe any issue.

TonyL

Thank you. The click is similar to the vertex. I just received my order of PSI Dura Clicks. I am looking forward to the comparison. The Dog pen appears to have a clip that is welded/cast in place. I hope that means no rotation.

Thanks folks!

SMBOYD

I have made several. There are problems, however.
1) The WW light wood blank Can be somewhat "rough" in my experience, in that the wood is not very dense and scoring while turning can be a problem leading in turn to finishing problems.

2) The click components are not at all robust or durable. If you drop one, the plastic click mechanism will either break or unscrew. This leads to disassembly. Dissembling the pen can be difficult as it is with any click pen. The clip is easily broken off and the decorated portions of the finial are very likely to be marred in the process.

Has anyone had success in gluing the click mechanism together, i. e. epoxy or Loctate on the threads ?

TonyL

So far I have been lucky with the one that I made. I have two more two make. The one above is used by my wife - she about 100 pounds, so not right tough pens (or chairs LOL). She does have two dogs to contend with when she tries to do any thing at the table. So far, her pen is fine (and it has been dropped, but only front table height onto hardwoods).

I did use a lot of CA to practically stabilize the blank though. What you say about the threads doesn't surprise.

I just returned from NY to visit family. Four years ago, I made my BIL a vertex click. My BIL does crossword puzzles everyday (in fact he works for a publisher of Xword puzzles. I was shocked to see that pen still working fine. Again, I could take or leave those clicker mechanisms.

WarEagle90

Quite nice, Tony, but I hope my wife doesn't see it. She'll have to have one or ten and I'm sure I can't match your quality. Thanks for sharing. Wait a minute, isn't there some special tool you need to make those pens, say a 12" disc sander or a new set of carbide tools? Yeah, I think so, let me go get her and show her that fine puppy pen!!

Top Bottom