PSI Bolt Action 30 cal kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I need some help with the PSI Bolt Action 30 cal bullet pen. It says in the instructions to make sure the bolt action on the cap is tight and there's a very small screw inside the cap that you're supposed to tighten. I've tightened the screw to the point that if I tighten it anymore I might snap the screw head off. This is my first one of these and when I put the parts together in my hand it seems the spring has enough tension on the bolt to keep it tight. How tight do I need to get this screw? Is this screw just there to allow for a right hand vs. left hand user so that you can turn the clip by loosening it? Thanks for any help offered.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

You should remove this screw and bolt lever and add some thread locker on both screw and bolt lever.

WriteON

Quote "Is this screw just there to allow for a right hand vs. left hand user so that you can turn the clip by loosening it?" .

YES!! and yes do not over tighten. (May I suggest not to remove or use thread locker)

Last edited:
You should remove this screw and bolt lever and add some thread locker on both screw and bolt lever.
Quote "Is this screw just there to allow for a right hand vs. left hand user so that you can turn the clip by loosening it?" .

YES!! and yes do not over tighten. (May I suggest not to remove or use thread locker)

Thanks for the info and help on this. I appreciate it and now I can put the pen together without worry.

WriteON

Thanks for the info and help on this. I appreciate it and now I can put the pen together without worry.
30 cal Bolts are my favorite pen/kit. You might want to try a mini bolt also. Another bonus is you can turn 2 blanks at a time. Have fun. You'll love these. Start saving for more!! Please post picture when done.

Woodchipper

My grandson and I are doing some pens for our wildlife agency outing this coming weekend. Our second pen was a bolt action. Got it almost done and my grandson remarked the bolt didn't look like a bolt action. I commented if I turned the bolt the other way, it would interfere with the clip. Out of the mouth of babes- "Pop-Pop, you can move the clip. How? Pop-Pop, read the instructions (something I don't always do as this has become an inside joke) and take off the end of the cap." I did...moved the clip to the other position and it works. BTW, he is 12 and does most of the blank turning, sanding and finishing by himself. We have two more pens to finish. Will try to post some photos as I have to give him a ton of credit.

RProctor

That screw is not my favorite, you need a #1 phillips for it in my experience. For me the screw isn't the hard part its turning the clip into the other slot and getting it seated (I am left handed so had to do it for mine).

Woodchipper

I have a set of small screwdrivers; the Phillips fits fine. I just have to be careful not to over-tighten the screw. The bolt only turns one way. Again, the grandson strikes again!

WriteON

Be creative with the 30cal kits. I made this tri combo for a friend/neighbor......by request it is hanging on a wall in his living room.

Attachments

• F597064E-11E3-443A-823B-667CC5A56222.jpeg
    F597064E-11E3-443A-823B-667CC5A56222.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 113

magpens

I make quite a few of the 30 Cal Bolt Actions and have never given any attention to that screw. . All have worked fine.

This was my favorite PSI kit until the Duraclick EDC and the Everyday Classic came along quite recently.

magpens

@WriteON

30 cal Bolts are my favorite pen/kit. You might want to try a mini bolt also. Another bonus is you can turn 2 blanks at a time. Have fun. You'll love these. Start saving for more!! Please post picture when done.

I have never tried the mini .... have been put off by the refill required for it.

What is it about the mini that you like ?

WriteON

@WriteON

I have never tried the mini .... have been put off by the refill required for it.

What is it about the mini that you like ?
I tend to give to women as it's a good pocketbook pen. I explain it's good for taking a phone # or short note. I gave one to a woman that owns a gun shop. She never saw anything like it. She loved it. Agree the refill is not long term.
Also it's a good compact pocket pen.... I don't carry a pen but if I do I like the Mini.

Last edited:
Top Bottom