Prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

An on-line exchange with Mark James led to this. We were discussing the upturn at the base of the nib in some of my more recent pens I showed on IAP, and I allowed as how I got the idea - though I realize it is not an original idea - from studying the sections on fine fountain pens. So, what not put a section on a ballpoint? It's about as useful as hip pockets on a pig, but why not? I had hoped the section would be dark, ebonized, but I had neither component for ebonizing on hand, so I tried a dark stain - FAIL. The prototype is shown in the included 2 photos. Would love to hear your comments.

DrD

Attachments

• BallPointNib1.jpg
    BallPointNib1.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 258
  • BallPointNib2.jpg
    BallPointNib2.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 257
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I still like the nib profile. I also agree that the color match is a bit off - but this is what a prototype is for, so I'd say mission accomplished.

I would suggest you consider a metal ring as a divider to give a visual separation between the two sections. I think the one below was copper. Just a thought.

IMG_3343.jpg

DrD

Great idea Mark, thanks. And thanks for the comments. That's a beautiful pen you've got there. I hate to sound like the ignorant hillbilly that I am, but do you do the copper divider, with it being so much harder than wood?

Don

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great idea Mark, thanks. And thanks for the comments. That's a beautiful pen you've got there. I hate to sound like the ignorant hillbilly that I am, but do you do the copper divider, with it being so much harder than wood?

Don

It was a thin sheet from - K & S Precision Metals, a hobby supply company. ( 5"x 7") I got from either Hobby Lobby or Ace Hardware. It is .016" thick. I drilled a hole for the tube - drill this before you cut it out as it is easier to clamp. Then cut out a small section and epoxied it onto the lower blank. I turned both sections at the same time, so there was pressure supporting the metal section. If you have not turned a closed end pen, put it on your bucket list, a very fun way to while away a few hrs.

I actually do not remember if I turned it with a carbide tool or HSS. This was a few years ago and I'm lucky if I remember what I had for dinner last night. But, I do not remember that it was difficult, I did several of this profile with copper and aluminum. Wifey snagged this one and it is still in use.

Have FUN!

1080Wayne

Well , I see that plain vanillla looks as curly as ever ! Were you hoping the section would be a uniformly dark solid colour, or did you want to preserve some appearance of curl ? Any dark brown or black paint should make it pretty uniform if that is what you want . Zero experience with ebonizing , but after finishing with any oil , my guess would be minimal retention of grain , similar to the effect of oil or CA on bog woods . We will look forward to seeing the results of your experiments .

Penchant 4

Love the lines of the prototype. Is there enough meat to sand through the mismatch of the section color, or does the stain perhaps go too deep?

Reactions: DrD

DrD

Well , I see that plain vanillla looks as curly as ever ! Were you hoping the section would be a uniformly dark solid colour, or did you want to preserve some appearance of curl ? Any dark brown or black paint should make it pretty uniform if that is what you want . Zero experience with ebonizing , but after finishing with any oil , my guess would be minimal retention of grain , similar to the effect of oil or CA on bog woods . We will look forward to seeing the results of your experiments .
I was hoping for a uniformly very dark result for the section. I'll have the ebonizing liquids ready by next week and will have another go at it. One of the liquids is a strong tannic acid solution, like very strong tea. The other is iron acetate which you can make by dissolving steel wool in white vinegar.

Don

Top Bottom