Proof of Concept

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bluwolf

bluwolf

This pen is a collaboration between Mike Redburn and myself. I had an idea for a pen design with aluminum and acrylic (gee, what a surprise). So I attempted to make the aluminum part myself. Long story short, that failed miserably.

I happened to mention the idea to Mike, showed him a sketch I had done of the design, and told him how it turned out. He told he could do it on his CNC mill. He didn't have to ask me twice. I gave him the basic dimensions and he ran with it. I made the dark acrylic barrels and took them to him when the aluminum part was done. Then he cast it in clear.

After it was done he brought it back to me and I turned it down and made a finial and nib for it. This is the end result. I've added a couple of pix of in process but I asked Mike to add a post with a few pix of the aluminum being machined on his CNC. I watched it being machined for a little while and found it very interesting.

Thanks to Mike for all the time he put into this. I'd also like to thank Capt. G for his willingness to share his casting knowledge with us as this was our first try at this. We've got ideas for future pens but just wanted to get this first one under our belts to see how it went.

Attachments

• mikemike.JPG
    mikemike.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 599
  • mikemike1.JPG
    mikemike1.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 432
  • mikemike5.JPG
    mikemike5.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 446
  • mikemike8.JPG
    mikemike8.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 413
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There IS NO stopping you guys. But then who would want to? This is just too amazing. Great idea Mike and, you guys work well together. Thanks for posting it!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We both had a couple of set backs and the pen evolved as we went. I have some pictures of it as we turned it on the cnc mill.
taig%252520mill%252520shot%2525201.JPG

taig%252520mill%252520shot%2525202.JPG

mike%252520roux%252520pen%2525202.JPG
mike%252520roux%252520pen%2525203.JPG

mike%252520roux%252520pen%2525204.JPG

mike%252520roux%252520pen%2525205.JPG

mikes%252520blank%2525205.JPG

All in all, it was a great project and both of us had to learn some new things to get it done.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

That is one the finest pens I've seen in a while. If you guys did this all before noon you could call it "Mike and Mike in the Morning". If your posting it though, that means it isn't entered in the Best of IAP Contest. Which means you must have something even better up your sleeve..............

workinforwood

That looks pretty sweet! Mike needs to come up here for a working vacation to play with my cnc. I got kinda similar stuff under way, just working through the struggles of learning how to do it. I made an awesome design but my computer died while extruding it. After my new computer comes in I will try and finish it so I can cut it out flat then I want to learn to wrap it. Trying to start with baby steps. Its super fun watching a cnc mill!

bluwolf

Did you ca once it was together? Just wondering if the sharp points will pop up or catch on clothing? Nice looking pen

Sorry, maybe the pix make it a little confusing. The aluminum is embedded in clear resin after being slipped over the acrylic blanks. So there's nothing to catch on. Mike R's picture of the cast blank might make it a little clearer.

cnirenberg

Mike,
Too cool. The pen came out terrific. I love the AL/Acrylic combo. As for the CNC mill work, Mike R you rock. Now I know whom to call with my crazy ideas. Fantastic job you guys.

bluwolf

Mike,
Too cool. The pen came out terrific. I love the AL/Acrylic combo. As for the CNC mill work, Mike R you rock. Now I know whom to call with my crazy ideas. Fantastic job you guys.

Cris, I've seen some of the other stuff Mike has been working on. Intricate doesn't begin to cover it. I'll bet your ideas aren't half as crazy as some of the stuff he's done.

SteveWatson

Awesome! I have yet to find the courage to try incorporating metal into my pens other than a few with copper flakes.

Top Bottom