PROJECT X (catastrophic failure)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Well it happened. I think i need to stabalize the material first.

Attachments

• 1_project_x_blowout.JPG
    1_project_x_blowout.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 484
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I don't know if it is cholla cactus or not. The guy i got it from called it "walking stick" cactus. After googling it. and looking at google image, I don't think they are the same cacti. The walking stick is Cylindropuntia spinosior. The cholla info says: scientific names of the various species of Chollas, all cactus of the genus Opuntia.

So it is a different cactus alltogether. I really have confidence that if this material was stabalized first, then it would work.

Don, It is already cast in PR. I cleaned a piece of this cactus (which is WAYYYYYYYYY easier than messing with prickly pear) and cast it in a 3/4" PVC mold. Then i turned it. This blank was SOOO close to final size. I was taking one more cut (always the story right?) and then it was sanding time. Maybe it's finally time for me to learn how to use the ever so elusive skew. I don't think it would have blown out with a proper skew cut. I am so afraid of that tool it isn't funny. whew.. getting nervous just typing about it.

DurocShark

Yeah, the skew probably would have saved your bacon there.

I was thinking worthless wood style... Mix a bright color and fill that blowout.

RAdams

Banned
OH YEAH IT'S DON'S BIRTHDAY! Savarooney!!! good call. That would be a good opportunity for me to do a worthless cast, and plugged tube cast all in one! Thank you Sir! excellent idea!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a cholla pen I did back in August of 2006. Cholla is a pretty generic name for this type of cactus. Another name for the walkingstick cactus is Cane Cholla so I would guess yours is considered a cholla, whatever that means!

Choya1.jpg

Fred

I have a piece of wood that my parrot walks on and it looks exactly like the wood Curtis used for his pen. Maybe some of this stuff could be found in the better pet stores near by?? Just an idea.

I believe you blow out may be glue failure oriented> A skew would have been nice to do your finish turning with. It has it's own learning cure, but one secret is to always have the edge "scary sharp" ... it also will cut down sanding time if used properly.

Keep at your idea and post additional pictures of your results.

BTW, GET A SKEW!!!

RAdams

Banned
Thanks Fred. I thought i had good glue coverage. Normally i use a Q tip to get glue all over the inside of the blank, but didn't do it on this one. Guess that is a pretty important step!

BTW. I have a really nice skew, Just don't much know how to use it.

ldb2000

Ron , check out Ed Davidson's (Yoyospin) videos in the library . Check out the way he uses the skew . It's not hard to learn how to use it , it just takes practice . Once you learn how you'll wonder what all the fuss was about .

jason_r

If you can find the chip:

Turn it undersized and get a resin saver mold.

Worthless wood cast it w/ Alumilite CC.

If you can't find the chip, leave it big, pick a color, then
WW cast it and turn back down.

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
Yeah, i wold love to watch the tutorial videos, but i have a little problem there. I live in the sticks, and can only get dialup. For a 2 minute video, it takes about 3 hours of download time.

anyway, thanks for the ideas guys. I will just have to learn this tool the way i learned the others. Cut with it till i get it.

glycerine

Well, don't lose all hope on it. You can always part it off and do something segmented. I've screwed up a few on the ends and had to part off and add something else and they ended up looking better than I think they would have in the first place...

W3DRM

Yeah, i wold love to watch the tutorial videos, but i have a little problem there. I live in the sticks, and can only get dialup. For a 2 minute video, it takes about 3 hours of download time.

anyway, thanks for the ideas guys. I will just have to learn this tool the way i learned the others. Cut with it till i get it.

Ron - sent you a PM...

As to using a skew, I started turning pens a couple years ago and used a skew on every one of them (without any problems at all!) - then I found out that they were difficult to use. Funny thing, I didn't think about until I was told they told me it was easy to screw up a blank. I think it's mostly in one's head that they "might have a problem" using a skew. Or, maybe I've just been lucky. I always take a light cut with my skew and use it to finish off my turnings after initial cuts with a gouge.

RAdams

Banned
thanks for the heads up! I am starting to mess with it some. I sent you a reply in the PM.

Top Bottom