Problem with vibration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I am turning this for my granddaughter and I am having a bit of an issue with the vibration. I am not sure if it is something I am doing or the tools or the blank.

Attachments

• video-1608049851.mp4
    3.1 MB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I noticed a change in sound once you moved from the middle to the end. The Middle Vibrating: Mandrel bent, or too tight of tail stock, or too tight on the mandrel nut with minuscule un-square end, AND your tool sound seemed a tad/miniscule amount of not sharp enough. Slightly, even a minuscule amount of dullness will require the compensation of tiny bit more pressure to cut. THAT extra pressure can lead to vibration also. REAL sharp has a slightly different sound to it - for me. I swipe my tools 3 or 4 times or more on a hone or .3 micron sandpaper when/during turning. Oh the sweet feel and sound of a fresh sharp tool on wood or acrylic!

Edit in, A few will challenge this, but from my experience, and a few long time HSS tool users: HSS gets dull quick for sure, but I cannot get the "feel" and "sound" with carbide inserts that I get with continuously sharpened HSS tools. Carbide is sharp, but not as sharp as HSS can be done, IMO.

Last edited:

MPVic

I cannot tell for certain, but it appears you are using a mandrel saver. I tried one some time ago and it developed the same sound on your video. I no longer use these types of devices.

Madman1978

-I have no HSS tools - yet - I did sharpen the tip before I started this pen.
-I have to use the mandrel saver since I do not have anything different right now

I had issues with the 2 other pens last night and the tubes thus far have not been consistent in size.

I noticed a change in sound once you moved from the middle to the end. The Middle Vibrating: Mandrel bent, or too tight of tail stock, or too tight on the mandrel nut with minuscule un-square end, AND your tool sound seemed a tad/miniscule amount of not sharp enough. Slightly, even a minuscule amount of dullness will require the compensation of tiny bit more pressure to cut. THAT extra pressure can lead to vibration also. REAL sharp has a slightly different sound to it - for me. I swipe my tools 3 or 4 times or more on a hone or .3 micron sandpaper when/during turning. Oh the sweet feel and sound of a fresh sharp tool on wood or acrylic!

Edit in, A few will challenge this, but from my experience, and a few long time HSS tool users: HSS gets dull quick for sure, but I cannot get the "feel" and "sound" with carbide inserts that I get with continuously sharpened HSS tools. Carbide is sharp, but not as sharp as HSS can be done, IMO.

Bingo!!! Your tail stock is too tight. I have the exact same lathe and if you crank down too much on the tail stock it will vibrate. Just tighten it down enough to keep it turning when your cutting. Put your blank in place, crank down on the tail stock until you can't turn it anymore by hand. Turn on your lathe, try making a cut and if the blank spins crank the tail stock down a 1/4 turn. Keep doing the 1/4 turn method until the blank stops breaking loose. That should do it. I turn at times with less than an inch of the mandrel showing past the bushings and never had a problem using this method. Hank,@leehljp, is right on the mark with this one.

Top Bottom