Using coins in blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Roly

Has anyone found a relatively simple way to bend a coin so that it may cast around a tube for a pen. I just cannot seem to find any information on this and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

Seamus Rooney sets the standard:

money nys.jpg
money kennedy.jpg

dogcatcher

You have to reduce the thickness of the coin. Next bend it around a steel rod the same diameter of the tube or whatever that you will be gluing it to. To thin the coin you can use a milling machine, using a handmade coin vise. Another option is to sand off one side until it the coin is thin enough to bend, you can do this using a sheet of sand paper on a perfectly flat surface. Several other ways to do that sanding, but they require absolutely accurate jigs so that the coin is always flat to the abrasive.

jttheclockman

Yes Seamus is the man when using coins in pens. He scrollsaws the design he wants and thins them but he will not tell you how. This is a trade secret of his so do not pressure him. He makes money from the blanks he makes. Now thinning a coin is what you need to do to make it easier to bend something like a watch dial. I have shown my method many times here. and is relatively easy. I use a flat plate with a block of wood attached to it or you could just use a block of wood chucked up with your favorite chuck. Like a 4 jaw chuck. Then with a forstner bit ( proper sized to coin being used) in a drill chuck in the tailstock. Drill a partial hole in block. You can make it just deep enough to give you the thickness needed to bend or go deeper. Then with a spindle gouge or carbide round cutter trim down. Metal will cut easily. It is varied metals in there. Just protect your lathe electronics from metal filings. Included a photo of my jig. By the way I use double sided tape to hold coin in jig.

IMGP0790.JPG
IMGP0804.JPG

PenPal

I wish to sustain the remarks re people who make money from what they develop to an art form,Seamus is indeed the man,generous of soul and a personal friend of mine. He has from time to time given hints if you take notice do assist. Kind regards and respect to all Peter.

Roly

I thank you all for your comment and will try some of the suggestion in the next few days. Then, if I can work out how I will post a picture.

Top Bottom