Probably been done, but I'm pleased

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbthbt

jbthbt

I bet that there are already several pens like this on these very forums, but I was so pleased with the finished product I felt I had to share. I collect old hymnals and Bibles, and I had duplicates of a youth hymnal from the 20's. One in particular had absolutely no binding left, and was just begging to be used in a piece of art, so I obliged.

The page was already in a bad state of disrepair, so I carefully tore it to get the layout I wanted, and then glued it directly to the tube. After everything was in place I began the very long process of building up a CA coating. I used a combination of thin, medium, and thick glue in both on-lathe and off-lathe applications to achieve the textured look I wanted. When I had sufficient coverage (over 100 applications) I turned down the ends to finished size, did a little rough cutting and sanding to prevent sharp edges, and then took it through my normal finishing steps.

Attachments

• IMG_0207 (2).jpg
    IMG_0207 (2).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0208 (2).jpg
    IMG_0208 (2).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 270
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

That's pretty cool, but just curious, any reason why you didn't simply cast it in clear resin? May have been cheaper than the 100+ coats of CA.

Looks very unique and intersting.

jbthbt

Mainly because it was the first one I had tried. I've since cast some in CA and then simply used a dremel to add the texture. I'm always so nervous on a first because inevitably I will be putting on the final coat of finish and it will explode. It's really a trade-off for me though because I prefer the look of the built up CA since it adds depth to the texture, but the resin is definitely cheaper and easier.

Papa mark

That is a great looking pen and I don't think there has ever been a better subject for a pen. I can already see many ideas forming in our members heads.

jbostian

Very cool pen. I did something similar for my sisters birthday. I used the sheet music from a Beetles song though.

Jamie

jbthbt

I've kind of run with this idea. I've copied pages out of some old Bibles I have (some dating back to the middle of the 19th century) as well as using the map and graphics out of the front of a 1903 copy of treasure island. I can't make myself tear into some of the more valuable books I have (personal value that is) but a copy with a little work and tea staining gives the same result.

Top Bottom