Pricing my pens to friends and co-workers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

As I said in another unrelated thread, I have friends and co-workers who want me to make pens for them. Rather than giving them some arbitrary price for different pens what I have been doing is giving them the PSI book and a print out of a vendor who makes laser blanks. They pay for the blank, kit and shipping and I charge $40 or $50 for making the pen. Is that a workable system?

I'm thinking it would be a little different for people I don't know. Still haven't figured that out. Any suggestions are welcome.

Andy

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Ask 10 people how to price pens and you will end up with 15 answers. If the system you describe works for you, and you are comfortable with it then why change it? When friend or family member asks me for a pen I give it to them at or below cost. Along with the pen I give them a stack of business cards, instruct them to not tell anyone what they paid for the pen and encourage them to show the pen around to their friends and co-workers. I've gotten quite a few orders that way.

gtriever

My "Family Discount" is usually free if it's for them, or at my cost if they want it as a gift for someone. Friends usually get 10 - 15% off the retail price, although sometimes I give one to close friends at no cost. Those are filled from whatever I have on hand. If it's a Commissioned pen, dollars change hands... and Business cards always go out with the pens.

ramaroodle

Thanks.

I guess I'm wondering how to come up with that "retail" price. I should have limited that to co-workers and retail customers. I usually allow friends to take advantage of me and sell for a few bucks over my cost or just give them away. There is a local frame shop that sells handmade woodworking products and she wants me to supply her with pens and jewelry boxes. I'm thinking that I should just batch price them (cheap, affordable and expensive) rather than trying to arrive at a different price for each pen.

Last edited:

thewishman

As I said in another unrelated thread, I have friends and co-workers who want me to make pens for them. Rather than giving them some arbitrary price for different pens what I have been doing is giving them the PSI book and a print out of a vendor who makes laser blanks. They pay for the blank, kit and shipping and I charge $40 or $50 for making the pen. Is that a workable system?

I'm thinking it would be a little different for people I don't know. Still haven't figured that out. Any suggestions are welcome.

Andy
Sounds good to me! Keep on, keepin' on.:smile:

ramaroodle

Cost divided by 0.6 is usually a good place to start for "everday" pens. Tweak as needed according to how much commission is wanted by the frame shop, or how much "Artistry" you've added (segmenting, etc.)
Excellent! That's the kind of baseline I was looking for. A $45 kit and blank and shipping would sell for $75-$80.

Top Bottom