Preasure Pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

I bought a 2.25 gallon shop fox from Amazon. It works fine for what I'm doing, but it does have a problem, It's rated for 45 lbs, but the relief valve pops at about 28 lbs. Very frustrating. Not sure if it's the relief valve or a bad reading on the pressure indicator. Either way, me no likey:mad:. I'll be upgrading soon already.

Justturnin

I just picked up my 2nd pressure pot. My first po5t only went to 50psi. As my needs grew and my materials became more complex I realized that was not enough. I just picked up an 80psi pot of ebay. It was a steal and I waited patiently for it to come around. Many use the HF pot now-a-days. I am not sure of the specs on them. I have read in posts that the instructions say 80psi but the pot itself says 50psi. My only recommendation would be 80psi max at the very least. If you have a little to spend check out Ebay there are several Binks pots on there that are rated at 80psi.

nava1uni

You really do not need more then the 28 pounds pressure to cast. Be careful it is very dangerous to go much higher then 45 lbs. unless you have a professional, heavy duty pot.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
You really do not need more then the 28 pounds pressure to cast. Be careful it is very dangerous to go much higher then 45 lbs. unless you have a professional, heavy duty pot.

I have to respectfully disagree, Cindy. It depends on what type of casting you are doing and what resin you are using. Alumilite recommends 40 psi and if you are doing any embedding with complex materials, higher pressure sure does do a better job.

Stugots

Letting off the pressure

I have just finished my pressure pot based on "stevers" design and I have one question which might be a bit dumb on my part. How do I relieve the pressure in the pot once I'm finished doing what I want?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

lorbay

If you did it the same as his design then you have a shut off valve. Once you disconnect ou fill hose release the pressure slowly by the shut off valve.

Lin.

Stugots

If you mean the ball valves I've tried that and it will not release any pressure. All I can manage is to turn the regulator knob counter clockwise and then the pressure will slowly start to release.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ditch the regulator. You do not need it. When you attach your hose, you watch the gauge and when it get to your desired pressure, you cut the valve off. Presto, you are now your own regulator and much less likely to leak or fail! Don't over complicate it!

All 4 of my pots have a gauge and pop-off valve on one inlet and a ball valve with hose connections on the other. Nothing more.

Stugots

Ditch the regulator. You do not need it. When you attach your hose, you watch the gauge and when it get to your desired pressure, you cut the valve off. Presto, you are now your own regulator and much less likely to leak or fail! Don't over complicate it!

All 4 of my pots have a gauge and pop-off valve on one inlet and a ball valve with hose connections on the other. Nothing more.

Never thought about doing it like that. Thanks I will look into it.

PenMan1

That's the same configuration I use, too. After you nearly remove your head from your shoulders with a pot explosion, you want the fewest number of mechanical devices as possible:)

My pots also use a small, cheap pancake compressor for filling. With the little "Husky" pancake compressor, I can fill my pots but it takes awhile. This makes it even more difficult to go over the working pressure of the pots.

With the big 220 v / large vertical tank compressor you can get into dangerous situations in just seconds.

Top Bottom