Powermattic PM 2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Does anyone have the Powematic PM 2014?

if so can you measure the distance from the bottom of the tool post to the top of the rest and respond with the height please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Happy thanksgiving

I'm working with Rick Herrell on a possible adapter that would work with the PM 2014 and a 5/8 tool post. I'll let you know how it works out if you still have your 5/8 tool posts.

SteveG

I have a PM 2014, and will offer this observation: heavier lathes (I realize this is an over-grown Midi we are talking about, but a VERY MUCH over-grown one at that) are designed and built at a consistent level across the entire machine. So a 1" tool post is appropriate for the design capabilities of this particular lathe. With that in mind, when I transitioned from the Delta midi (â…ť" TP) I considered all my options WRT the tool post, and decided to go with the design criteria of my new 2014. So I acquired all the new tool rests I expected to need. Some are Teknatool modular, so those only needed the upgraded 1" post. That said, I intend to do much heavier turning than the thousand-plus pens turned on my previous lathes. The bed extension allows for a 20" swing: I plan to utilize that capability.

This opinion is provided at minimal cost, so take it for whatever you value its worth. ;)

RobS

@SteveG sound advice and makes sense when you are turning heavy stuff. I did order new 1" tool posts and matching rest for the beefier turning I plan on doing.

Additionally in my case I have quite a few custom tool rests specifically for pen turning and kitless projects. So I wanted a cost effective way to continue to use them.

RobS

New 5/8" to 1" adapter arrived.
Still waiting on the pm 2014 to arrive.

Attachments

• 8949B851-5ABE-407D-9AAC-152B19318349.jpeg
    8949B851-5ABE-407D-9AAC-152B19318349.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 122

RobS

The new powermattic pm 2014 arrived.
I dropped in the adapter I designed built by @rherrell and look at that perfect fit. Thanks so much Rick!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2A02EA38-F702-4981-B877-3AC169DFCEB6.jpeg
    2A02EA38-F702-4981-B877-3AC169DFCEB6.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 125
  • A62E79D8-0F8E-46B4-9B9E-7808C594AD2E.jpeg
    A62E79D8-0F8E-46B4-9B9E-7808C594AD2E.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 62210DE4-2865-4B62-B48E-C1B3782E9811.jpeg
    62210DE4-2865-4B62-B48E-C1B3782E9811.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 151

TG Design

Rob, I have been looking at the PM 2014 for my next lathe. Please let us know what you think about it. Could you please measure the footprint (just the base on your machinist surface) the description said 52" total, I assume that counts the motor. I may not need to make a new turning station. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

RobS

Rob, I have been looking at the PM 2014 for my next lathe. Please let us know what you think about it. Could you please measure the footprint (just the base on your machinist surface) the description said 52" total, I assume that counts the motor. I may not need to make a new turning station. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
base depth ~11.5"
base width ~32.5" + motor overhang on left side 8.5" (you can slide it to the right, but that will decrease your center point distance)
height from base to center line is ~ 14.5"

Important Note:
You can not plug it into a gfci outlet, it will trip due to the phase inverter. I was successful in plugging it into an outlet that has a gfci/afci 20 amp breaker that I use for my metal lathe. I called Powermatic, and the recommended that I not use GFCI outlet plugs, or outlets that are daisy chained to a gfci outlet due to the inverter. The tech on the phone, was still a little leery about using the gfci/afci breaker. I will swap out to a standard plug, and I understand the ramifications of possible electrocution due to water. So I think I'll go with a single plug outlet option.

The cons:
I'm used to the Jet 1221vs pulley system which is crazy fast for swapping back and forth, this one is much tighter, we will see how it works out.
i'm also used to the large wheel on the jet on the motor side, for threading. I think I will have to get used to power threading on this baby

The pros
The tail stock is a proper heavy duty design, love it. The engagement in the bed gap from the tail stock is double that on my Jet. There is 0 play, which is a big win! The tail stock also lock up easily with the handle. Always felt like my Jet could have used a little more legnth.
It comes apart in 3 places, the heaviest is the motor. I was able to set it up, without problem. That is removing the tool rest, tailstock and motor. Placing the base, then adding everything on one at a time.
It just radiates this sense of mass and gravity.
The motor control is on a wired magnetic remote, so you can put it where you want it.
That is all I got for now. I powered it up to 900 rpm, sounded fantastic.

Hope to turn this weekend. However, I have to use adapters for my chucks, waiting on supernova chucks that are on back order.
I also already bought a direct 1-1/4-8 Beall ER32 collet, I did this to reduce the tolerance stack up when using an adapter, which is critical when doing kitless or ring work.

Merry Christmas

RobS

All right team, been using the PM 2014, unfortunately, I got a bum pulley belt that was too short. Powermatic sent out a new one. The belt change is a little more detailed than normal. So below is a set of instructions I wrote to swap out the belt, hopefully it is worthy of the library.

*****Note, for some reason, the standard set screws and screws, use metric hex keys. Before someone gives me a tongue lashing, please know I checked the screws with my thread gauge, and even tried regular standard screws to confirm. Very strange. Also 4 set screws should have been nylon per the manual and they are not. If you have this situation I would swap them out for the correct screws/set screws. Else you will mar the spindle, which will make sensor collar removal more difficult in the future.*****

I love the pm 2014, now that the belt is the correct length, changing between pulley settings is much easier.
The tail stock lock up is just fantastic, no more throwing my back out like I did on my old lathe.
Also, the control system holds the motor speed, regardless of your pulley settings, so if you dial in 300RPM in high, it will hold 300RPM while sanding and not bog down.
The ACME screw in the tail stock is also smooth!!!

Attachments

• powermatic pm 2014 lathe belt replacement(1).pdf
    857.8 KB · Views: 208
Top Bottom