popping the curly maple grain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justholler

Still confused as to the best method for noticeable "pop"....and I think the all over colored dyes are just not for me. I want the classic curl to be dark and the rest natural. What I'm showing here went through several phases and I essentially got it back down to a little BLO and some transtint vintage maple dye. Its ok. I know the end grain soaks up so much that you get a dark "ring around the collar" look.
Any suggestions? I just would rather the pen be darker I think?

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 600
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Aniline dye in a medium brown (like a honey maple) and lightly sanding to increase the contrast works. Film coatings will bring out the light reflection for apparent depth.

plantman

If you want a little darker look, apply walnut stain and than wipe off as much as you can. This will give you a deep honey color and pop the grain. Jim S

elkhorn

Richard, I used to make muzzleloaders and made the stocks from curly and tiger maple. The "old time" way of getting a warm, reddish-brown finish that makes the curl/tiger stripes pop out, is a solution called "Aquafortis." One of the sources is a place called "Muzzleloader Builder's Supply (Muzzleloader Builder's Supply Home Page).

I first saw this used in the gunsmith's shop at Williamsburg, VA and it will just blow you away. If you need more info or want to discuss, please PM me.

Good luck.

Top Bottom