Micromesh help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I have been sanding through 400 grit sanding strips followed by the entire set of 9 micromesh pads.

I think I read somewhere on this site that the first two pads could or should be skipped as they are rougher than 400 grit sanding strips.

Please respond and thanks for your knowledge!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

Great. One one blank after 500 grit sandpaper I skipped the 1500 and all was well.

Thanks

PS I am riding to Mammoth, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon tomorrow and Thursday!

MarkD

Great. One one blank after 500 grit sandpaper I skipped the 1500 and all was well.

Thanks

PS I am riding to Mammoth, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon tomorrow and Thursday!

Someday I'll come out and ride it with you! Enjoy and keep the shiny side up!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mark,
I have a chart from a micromesh package the shows that
1500 MM = 400
1800 MM = 600
2400 MM is about 900
Interesting - to the touch the first two pads of micro mesh just don't feel as rough as the 600 grit aluminum oxide paper strips. Also when I use them they don't seem to remove as much wood.

Mr Vic

Dry sand 150 (if needed) , 240, 320, 400, 600. Then after applying CA finish I run the Micromesh paper or pads (wet) from 1500 to 12000. Some of the pad kist include 300 and 800...I rarely use them..

Sylvanite

Interesting - to the touch the first two pads of micro mesh just don't feel as rough as the 600 grit aluminum oxide paper strips. Also when I use them they don't seem to remove as much wood.
Cutting speed and scratch pattern are not necessarily related. Although finer grits usually remove less wood than coarser grits, that is not always the case. Scratch pattern (grit) is primarily related to grain size, but aggressiveness also depends on the grain material, sharpness, and coating (if any).

For example, I have some 320g silicon carbide paper that is noticeably more aggressive than another 240g aluminum oxide paper. It cuts quicker even though it has a finer scratch pattern.

Regards,
Eric

plano_harry

I have often wondered if I am backing up a step. I was thinking 1500 Micromesh was equivalent to a 1500 wet/dry paper. I am using 400 and 600 abranet before starting with the 1500. Is that not progression?:confused:

Cutting speed and scratch pattern are not necessarily related. Although finer grits usually remove less wood than coarser grits, that is not always the case. Scratch pattern (grit) is primarily related to grain size, but aggressiveness also depends on the grain material, sharpness, and coating (if any).

For example, I have some 320g silicon carbide paper that is noticeably more aggressive than another 240g aluminum oxide paper. It cuts quicker even though it has a finer scratch pattern.

Regards,
Eric

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Regards,
Eric
I guess I've always known that because I've always preferred some papers over others even though the grit was the same. I just never gave it any thought.

Top Bottom