Popping out cabachon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

How do folks pop out the cabachon on the jr gent IIs? I tried popping it out with a pen press and pen disassembly tool. No luck. Tried popping it out with a push bar and a hammer with the finial in a vise. No luck. Tried drilling out the center thinking it might relieve some pressure (like removing rivets). Still in there. I'm at a loss.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

What has most consistently worked for me is drilling with a bit about the size of the cabochon tenon from the inside of the cap (held in a clamp).

hokie

I drilled mine out and didn't have too much of a problem. As long as the bit is slightly larger than the diameter of the finial tenon, it should just pop out.

EricRN

I drilled mine out and didn't have too much of a problem. As long as the bit is slightly larger than the diameter of the finial tenon, it should just pop out.
Seems like maybe I didn't use a big enough but. I used just smaller than the tenon. I'll try a larger bit.

keithbyrd

Drill a hole in a small block of wood just a hair larger that the clip end cap cabochon (finial). Using a drill press and a steel rod, place the cap over the hole with the final down, align it under the steel rod and push out with the drill press.

EricRN

Drill a hole in a small block of wood just a hair larger that the clip end cap cabochon (finial). Using a drill press and a steel rod, place the cap over the hole with the final down, align it under the steel rod and push out with the drill press.
Thanks. Issue was I was using too small a drill bit. Used a bigger one and it popped out. I like the idea of drilling a hole in a block of wood to hold it. Better than putting it in a vice. Less chance of messing up the finish or bending it.

Mr Vic

Thanks. Issue was I was using too small a drill bit. Used a bigger one and it popped out. I like the idea of drilling a hole in a block of wood to hold it. Better than putting it in a vice. Less chance of messing up the finish or bending it.
I use a block oh UHMW plastic. Doesn't compress like wood will and doesn't compress or crack.

magpens

@EricRN
So, please tell me ....

what size drill bit finally worked ? . I may want to do this in future.

Also, did you drill right through the cabachon ?

Top Bottom