Polishing with toothpaste?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Anyone ever tried it? Seems the pumice is very fine but not sure how it measures to MM grits or the polishes on the market. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

goldendj

Somewhere there's a dental chart with the relative "grit" per toothpaste brand.

RunnerVince

Not to rock the boat....but why toothpaste?....the plastic polishes have to be cheaper.
Certainly would depend on the polishes. The Dr. Kirk's I use has four grits. The most abrasive comes in a 6 oz tin for $20 or a 1.5 oz tin for $7, and the other three only come in the 1.5 oz tins for $7 each. Whether I actually need all four is another question. When I compare a pen done with just the first grit vs. one done with all four, sometimes I can see a difference, sometimes I think I can see a difference, and sometimes I can't see a difference. Given that inconsistency, I think it's more likely I have some inconsistency in my process, so when my smaller tins run out, I'm going to try not replacing them and seeing if I'm still happy with my pens.

craig

Certainly would depend on the polishes. The Dr. Kirk's I use has four grits. The most abrasive comes in a 6 oz tin for $20 or a 1.5 oz tin for $7, and the other three only come in the 1.5 oz tins for $7 each. Whether I actually need all four is another question. When I compare a pen done with just the first grit vs. one done with all four, sometimes I can see a difference, sometimes I think I can see a difference, and sometimes I can't see a difference. Given that inconsistency, I think it's more likely I have some inconsistency in my process, so when my smaller tins run out, I'm going to try not replacing them and seeing if I'm still happy with my pens.
All I know is toothpaste will shine the heck out of a diamond ring

Top Bottom