Playing around with knots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

I like some other's the rest of members have been playing around with Celtic Knot's.

Two pen, one is a std Celtic knot on a dark brown blank, don't know type of wood. Inserts are from three different timbers,Paduak,Walnut and Wenge wrapped in Maple on. Celtic Twist hardware.

The other is done little differant. Cuts are at 120 degrees giving what is called Trinity Knot. ,Olive wood blank with Wenge and maple inserts. Knurl GT hardware.

All cuts were at 52 degrees, nerf of blade 1.101, insert equal l .990 glue with System Three Epoxy ( thanks. JT)

IMG_2985.jpg
IMG_2981.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice !!

Interested in that Trinity Knot .... will have to learn more about that !!

Thanks for showing !!

jttheclockman

Again glad to be of some help Charlie. Like the Trinity knot. This could become a thing quickly. Always did like the mixing of colored woods or acrylics Gives it a different look. Nice job and thanks for showing.

iamrohn

Very nice!! I really like the second one, the trinity knot. I tried a couple of them, albeit without much patience or attention... in my experience getting three 120 cuts with precision can be a challenge. I very much like your results!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Dieseldoc

Very very nice, both of them. Now not to nitpick, but... I'm assuming you typoed the sizes of kerf and infill, if not, please explain.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Ken:big typoOOOOOOOOOO

Checked kerf .1025 insert .925 Used System three T-88 Epoxy , cure for 24 hours before working blank.

Titebond translucent used in putting inset together, they used for several days before running them through the drum sander.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Another thing was the end grain on the insert's, thinking about using other material.

Last edited:

KenB259

Ken:big typoOOOOOOOOOO

Checked kerf .1025 insert .925 Used System three T-88 Epoxy , cure for 24 hours before working blank.

Titebond translucent used in putting inset together, they used for several days before running them through the drum sander.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Another thing was the end grain on the insert's, thinking about using other material.

Charlie , it just can't be, unless you have some weird magical voodoo stuff going on 🧐 Your infill can't be .925, that's just shy of an inch!!!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

tiggere

I'm curious as to the 52 degrees...where is that measured from? Bottom of sled to angled board?

From the 45 degree knots I have seen this one would be wider and it doesnt look that wide...

Reason I ask is I am getting ready to build my jig and all the vids I have seen are 30 to 45 degrees and the 45 degree looks to have very large loops where the 30 degree looked like really tight loops...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The knots looks excellent Charlie, and I give a 👍 for the trim rings - they add a very nice element.

Well done. 👏👏

Dieseldoc

Degree is from the blade angle. Sled run in the table saw slots which are parallel to the blade. Width of the insert is usually the same as the kerf of the saw blade when cutting blank not through. Went cutting blank off you can use what ever width of the insert that you want.
You are correct. the more degrees used in the cut will give you a longer knot.
Both pen's have the thickness of the insert, one looks larger because the diameter of the blank is different

KenB259

Degree is from the blade angle. Sled run in the table saw slots which are parallel to the blade. Width of the insert is usually the same as the kerf of the saw blade when cutting blank not through. Went cutting blank off you can use what ever width of the insert that you want.
You are correct. the more degrees used in the cut will give you a longer knot.
Both pen's have the thickness of the insert, one looks larger because the diameter of the blank is different

Oh Charlie , here we go again [emoji23]. The truth of the matter is. It doesn't matter if you cut partially through or all the way through, infill must match kerf.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

Yes we hacked the heck out of that one some time ago. We established the infill material must always match the kerf of the blade you are cutting width on whatever tool you choose when doing these knots.

jttheclockman

So it looks like I eat crow on this one. Going to try one out to see what happens.
Charlie you can give it a try for sure. But I did recently to prove the point in a recent thread where we discussed the numbering system as well as the kerf thing. Here is the thread and #83 post is where I show my results and what happens if you use a different sized infill. In that case I went larger. Good luck to you and hope you post results.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/celtic-knot-take-2.165544/page-3

Top Bottom