Platanus burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

IMG_20220330_205253.jpg
IMG_20220330_204916.jpg
IMG_20220331_103729.jpg

I found a nice piece of platanus wood (a tree that looks similar to the maple) and managed to cut a few pieces. The humidity is about 14% and i can't wait to turn it; shall i put it in the oven? Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Mike, if you can't wait to turn a bit of that lovely timber, cut yourself a couple of blanks and give them 10 or 15 seconds every couple of minurtes in a microwave until they are dry.

Alan

PatrickR

Interesting stuff. The ray flecked pieces remind me of Sycamore but the other looks like oak burl with the spaghetti figure. I had to look up the name to find out it is in the same family as Sycamore here in the USA. Not much like our maple trees.

MedWoodWorx

Interesting stuff. The ray flecked pieces remind me of Sycamore but the other looks like oak burl with the spaghetti figure. I had to look up the name to find out it is in the same family as Sycamore here in the USA. Not much like our maple trees.
I see, well the name is platanus orientalis and the leaves look like the maple's,maybe it is not in the same family just a coincidence.

SteveG

Once the wood is cut into pen blank size, it will dry fairly rapidly. So you might consider patience, vs the possibility of a fail when trying to rush things. In any case, cutting slightly oversize is a good idea, to allow for wood movement as it dries. If you are saying the moisture content (humidity?) is 14%, that is well on the way to being fully dry. When I lived in Hawaii, 12%~13% was the equilibrium MC for most wood, as it was a fairly high humidity environment. YMMV. If allowing to air dry, it is best tested by periodically accurately weighing the piece. When you detect no more weight change over time, the wood is at equilibrium MC.

Beautiful wood!

MedWoodWorx

i took a piece with me, since i have no bandsaw, to have it cut. However i forgot it in the car for a couple of days and presto: humidity down to 8ish % :) i don't know if that counts as a method but it worked

Top Bottom