Planning Stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
from the prizes thread comes this:

Arioux - Alfred - TWO prizes:
One Box of blanks
One collection of Russ Fairfield DVDs to be given to a beginner or creative penturning contest:
(Quote: 5 DVD's and i would like to offer it to the winner in a category that reflect either creativity or if you have a categorie for newbies. Maybe a "Russ Fairfield" inspired pen contest based on a slimline (just a tough), i leave to you and the admin crew to choose in wich contest you want to give it away. Again, i take care of the shipping.)

I'd like direction on this one, since I consider this prize virtually priceless as time goes on.

Should we work on a new contest, based on the slimline and name it after Russ???

JEFF, PLEASE give your opinion on this,

OR what?

Thanks!!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Sorry, Ed - that just came in today so I haven't had time to email you on that one yet...I wanted to make sure that you saw that part of it..

Maybe we can retool the beginner contest to be the 'Russ Fairfield Slimline Challenge" in commemoration of his contributions to the concept of the slimline as a creative medium?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
On this one, Andrew, I really want to wait for Jeff.

I will do whatever he wants, but the decision could long outlive me.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I believe we should have a contest to honor Russ, but I'd like to think a bit about it before we decide how to proceed. I think basing it on the slimline, and judging based on some of the things Russ felt were most important (finish, grain choice, proportion, etc.) would be appropriate. I'd also like the prize(s) to be somewhat special and "distinguished". In other words, I don't want a bunch of boxes of random blanks. (Pacific Yew would be good though -- on of his favorite woods) Ideally I'd like to offer one of Russ's pens or a segmented bowl as a prize, but Scott is investigating the possibility of obtaining any of those items.

Please send me your thoughts on this via PM

from the prizes thread comes this:

Arioux - Alfred - TWO prizes:
One Box of blanks
One collection of Russ Fairfield DVDs to be given to a beginner or creative penturning contest:
(Quote: 5 DVD's and i would like to offer it to the winner in a category that reflect either creativity or if you have a categorie for newbies. Maybe a "Russ Fairfield" inspired pen contest based on a slimline (just a tough), i leave to you and the admin crew to choose in wich contest you want to give it away. Again, i take care of the shipping.)

I'd like direction on this one, since I consider this prize virtually priceless as time goes on.

Should we work on a new contest, based on the slimline and name it after Russ???

JEFF, PLEASE give your opinion on this,

OR what?

Thanks!!

Scott

Hi Everybody! I am here! Took me long enough. It looks like you all have everything done already! ;-) A few comments if I may:

If a calendar showing what contests are happening when has not been done yet, we should do this soon. Timing is almost as important as the rules.

I think we should definitely have a Russ Fairfield contest. A Slimline challenge would be appropriate. Mrs Fairfield is trying to round up some pens Russ made, which Jeff has offered to purchase for the IAP. If nobody else has jumped in to run this contest, I would be willing to co-host it with one or two others. I would also be happy to be out of it and let somebody else handle it!!! I only say that because I may have to be gone a week or so sometime in February, and I don't want to jeopardize the contest because of it. But with a couple of other people helping it would be no problem.

The ugly pen contest. I actually requested to do this one again! I'll start a thread just for that contest soon, and put up last year's rules so we can critique them.

Was there a choice to drop the trash talking contest? If so, I approve. That was a hard one to run last year. If you want another contest that would be light-hearted and non-serious, may I suggest something like a Smurf-pen contest, or a non-traditional element contest. I like these non-serious contests so I would be glad to come up with something and run it, but I'd also be willing to share the "foolishness" with somebody else so they could run it. Or just leave well-enough alone, and just stick with the ugly pen contest?

Landon, one thing I've learned is that you can't please anyone (much-less everyone!). For a freestyle contest, choose to do what you want to do, try to anticipate problems, and then just go with it. There will always be detractors, but it is your contest. I don't think there is anything wrong with specifying that the pen be made during the duration of the contest, and you might want to have some interesting specification involved for the entries so that a qualifying pen is unlikely to have been made before knowing the rules. But really, do what you want.

That's it for now. I'll go start that Ugly thread soon!

Scott.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hi Everybody! I am here! Took me long enough. It looks like you all have everything done already! ;-) A few comments if I may:

If a calendar showing what contests are happening when has not been done yet, we should do this soon. Timing is almost as important as the rules.

I think we should definitely have a Russ Fairfield contest. A Slimline challenge would be appropriate. Mrs Fairfield is trying to round up some pens Russ made, which Jeff has offered to purchase for the IAP. If nobody else has jumped in to run this contest, I would be willing to co-host it with one or two others. I would also be happy to be out of it and let somebody else handle it!!! I only say that because I may have to be gone a week or so sometime in February, and I don't want to jeopardize the contest because of it. But with a couple of other people helping it would be no problem.

The ugly pen contest. I actually requested to do this one again! I'll start a thread just for that contest soon, and put up last year's rules so we can critique them.

Was there a choice to drop the trash talking contest? If so, I approve. That was a hard one to run last year. If you want another contest that would be light-hearted and non-serious, may I suggest something like a Smurf-pen contest, or a non-traditional element contest. I like these non-serious contests so I would be glad to come up with something and run it, but I'd also be willing to share the "foolishness" with somebody else so they could run it. Or just leave well-enough alone, and just stick with the ugly pen contest?

Landon, one thing I've learned is that you can't please anyone (much-less everyone!). For a freestyle contest, choose to do what you want to do, try to anticipate problems, and then just go with it. There will always be detractors, but it is your contest. I don't think there is anything wrong with specifying that the pen be made during the duration of the contest, and you might want to have some interesting specification involved for the entries so that a qualifying pen is unlikely to have been made before knowing the rules. But really, do what you want.

That's it for now. I'll go start that Ugly thread soon!

Scott.
Thanks Scott, I don't know if anyone "decided" anything about the trash talking. Given some of the threads lately that were not really all that great because someone took something out of context, I'd say lets not promote it even in a contest format desighned to bring out the "off the wall" comments. Just my $.02.

I posted a possible change to last years freestyle rules in the other thread and it has been 20 hours without comment so I guess it is either a good change or so horrible no one wants to even acknowledge it.:wink: If there are objection that want considered, now would be the time to bring them up in the other thread as I want to finalize a plan soon.

Landon

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Scott, I think the light hearted contests are what makes the bash fun. If you have a great idea for another one, I think that sounds great!

Let's hear your ideas Scott - it sounds fun. I'd run one myself, but there's a good chance I'll be in Cuba for a small chunk of the Bash! - stealth gloat!! :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
CUBA!!!! What self-respecting American goes to CUBA...

Wait, you're Canadian---but isn't that North AMERICA???

Oh, I'm sooooooooo confused.

Have a nice trip!!!!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I plan on making out a schedule of events this weekend (I hope) All of the contests should porbably be in the Public Birthday Bash Thread. All Rules should be posted at the first of the months or, since the first is on a Tuesday, maybe they should be posted on January 29th. COMMENTS?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I think as soon as there is a schedule, the rules for each can be posted so everyone knows. The schedule will tell them when and what, the rules will tell them the how to. Sooner the rules and schedule go out, the better folks can plan the events they will participate in. Some contests really need no planning but others do. My $.02.

mbroberg

Scheduling & Other Items

Here is a tentative calendar of events. Nothing on this calendar is in concrete. In fact, I just threw stuff in there to give us a starting point. Many assumptions on my part were included in this tentative schedule and I may be way out in left field with some of them. Please feel free to TELL ME when you want your contests to start and end. As long as there are no serious log jams, I'll schedule your events as you see fit.

This calendar sucks. :mad: Does anyone know of another format or style calendar I could use to make it look a little more professional? If so, please tell!

I still need to know if anyone has made contact with Bad-Dog Burls ( Mad-Dog? Sad- Dog, Rad-Dog, I don't know :confused:) about a Wood Identification contest.

Curtis, given your recent, unexpected visit to the hospital, which undoubtedly threw you behind in other areas of your life,:eek: are you still able to run the Photo Contest? If not, I'll try to persuade (i.e. beg :tongue:) the Princess and/or the Rat to do it.

Jeff, let me know if you want to use my paypal for the purchase of the mugs or if you have something else already worked out.

When the time comes to kick this party off I'd like all the contests and related threads to be run out of the public Birthday Pash thread. This includes all associated polls.

I also think it would be a good idea to have pictures of the wining pens for the various pen contests posted along with the announcement of the winner and prize awarded. Ed, I don't envision this to be too much problem. Do you have any concerns about it?

Attachments

• 2001 Birthday Bash.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 107

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
You are right about the calendar format. :mad::wink: Wish I had a better one but I'll bet some of the more computer advanced folks can come up with one. The time lines look pretty good, a few things might need worded slightly different:confused:(maybe). I do think this needs posted sooner than later so thanks for getting it started.

mbroberg

I've posted pictures of all those prizes that have pictures attached in the prize thread - I've asked many of them for pictures, and those that are going to get them have a note attached to their prize listing in the prize thread.

Andrew,
I don't understand what you are saying, it doesn't make sense to me. :confused: Sorry.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, Mike.

I meant to say that all the pictures that I have for the prizes are posted in the prize thread. Some people have notes beside their name in the prize thread indicating that a photo is in progress, and the rest have no photos for their prizes thus far.

ldb2000

Hi everyone . I just got Mike's invitation to the bash planning group and I'm in with any of the pen contests I'm needed with .
The Beautiful pen contest and the Beginners pen contest went very smoothly last year and had very good participation and there were no problems except for choosing from all the fantastic entries , so I think these will remain the same with the same rules .
The Modified pen contest last year was using a Cigar pen and went off with minimal complaints and had good participation and could be run this year as well or if you prefer could be changed to a Modified slimline in honor of Russ Fairfield . I will need some direction on which way to go .
I will need 3 prizes for each contest , same as last year , so thats 9 prizes total . I figure 3 nice prizes for the 3 first place winners and 6 average prizes for 2nd and 3rd places .

mbroberg

I like the idea of a "Russ Fairfield Tribute - Modified Slim" Contest. I believe the idea should receive the blessing of Mrs. Fairfield before it is announced. maybe Jeff can take care of that since he has already been in contact with her once. If approved it should be a annual event.

What are the chances of awarding a 5-set of Russ Fairfield DVDs to the first place winner?

Scott

Mrs. Fairfield is aware of the contest, and is thrilled! The video set would be a great gift for this contest!

Scott.

Scott

Hi Everybody!

Isn't it about time we get a calendar set up? We need to plan what time during the month many of the contests will take place. Also, I forgot to ask about a Liar's Club Contest. No big deal, it's just that we've had it before and I hadn't heard mention of one this year. No need for an extra contest really, I was just wondering.

Scott.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hi Everybody!

Isn't it about time we get a calendar set up? We need to plan what time during the month many of the contests will take place. Also, I forgot to ask about a Liar's Club Contest. No big deal, it's just that we've had it before and I hadn't heard mention of one this year. No need for an extra contest really, I was just wondering.

Scott.
Still not the best format but I took Mikes and changed it to be a bit easier to read. Need someone more computer wise than me.

Attachments

• calendar.doc
    191 KB · Views: 102

mbroberg

Thanks Landon. That is better than what i did. I was going to just make a text document, but I think yours looks OK!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike,

Are you going to make a blanket post to announce all contests or are we to start our own threads. I assume we will start our own threads but wanted to be sure. I know you put together that schedule and I re-did it a bit but I was hoping to see a finalized version confirming everyone is satisfied with the schedule and making sure exactly what we have so nothing gets missed or any other bad stuff.

mbroberg

To all........

I am going to make a blanket post to announce all the contests but each contest organizer will start their own thread in the Public Bash Forum that Jeff created. I will be spending some time this weekend (probably start tomorrow evening) polishing the schedule, writing an announcement, etc. I want to get some basic information about the contests out this weekend, just so people can get excited and know what to espect. I will not be mentioning much about prizes, other than there will be some. I leave that honor to the people who earned it, Andrew and Ed.

Scott

Mike!

Do you want a Liar's Club Contest? We never decided on that. We had one last year and the year before. It is fun and is easy to run. I could do it starting when we close the Ugly Pen Contest.

As for the Ugly Pen Contest, on the schedule you have it set up to have a "Poll" which I assume would take the place of the judging. I am good either way, or we could even do it both ways - a poll for a category or two and judging for the others. Do you have a preference? I don't really care. A poll would save me from having to round up judges and inflicting the Uglies on them! Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Scott.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I don't need the honour, Mike...feel free to announce prizes without stepping on my toes!

I'm not the type to toot my own horn, after all - and I have the easy job! :)
Ditto!!
Announce to your heart's content.

I will work on assigning prizes and let the contest chairmen announce the prizes for their contests, as we did last year.

mbroberg

Mike!

Do you want a Liar's Club Contest? We never decided on that. We had one last year and the year before. It is fun and is easy to run. I could do it starting when we close the Ugly Pen Contest.

As for the Ugly Pen Contest, on the schedule you have it set up to have a "Poll" which I assume would take the place of the judging. I am good either way, or we could even do it both ways - a poll for a category or two and judging for the others. Do you have a preference? I don't really care. A poll would save me from having to round up judges and inflicting the Uglies on them! Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Scott.

Scott,

No Liars Club or Trash Talking this year. Neither has anything to do with pen making, some people just can't, "play nice", and therewas too much unsolicited trash talking and BS posted last year to last for a long time. I'd rather not give people an IAP sanctioned opportunity to push the envelope.

As far as judging your contest goes, you tell me. The same goes for all contest organizers. I just posted that schedule to give us a starting point and to give the membership something to anticipate. None of it is in stone. Tell me how you want to do it and I will make the change.

Mike

Top Bottom