Planning Stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Here is a list of the contests that ran last year (minus liar club and trash talk), along with the names of the people who ran them.
  1. Trivia Contest – Bruce (fiferb) and Rob (rjwolfe3)
  2. Modified Pen Contest – Butch (lbd2000)
  3. Beginner Pen Contest – Butch (lbd2000)
  4. Beautiful Pen Contest – Butch (lbd2000)
  5. Freestyle Pen Contest – Landon (Hunter-27)
  6. Ugly Pen Contest – Scott
  7. Featured Pen Contest – Cav (wdcav1952)
  8. Skin Game – Dawn (PR_Princess) and Stephen (Skiprat)
  9. Best Article – Keith (VisExp)
I have sent PMs to these members (except for Keith and Cav) to see if they want to run the same contests again. I've asked Tom to do Best Article and either I or a yet to be determined volunteer will run the Featured Pen Poll.

Last year there was some interest expressed in a Wood Identification Contest and Gary Madroe said he would run it. I PM'd him to see if he is still willing to do that.

Landon has come up with a Crossword Puzzle themed contest. Prizes would be awarded to the first to finish and to the winner of a drawing of names of those who completed the puzzle correctly.

Curtis – You mentioned that you would run the Photo Contest, "if we want it back". I'm not sure what you meant by that. Is this the same as the Featured Pen contest or something different. Are you still interested in doing it?

What do you think about a Valentines Day themed pen contest?

Chris (Displaced Canadian) and James (Phunky_2003) offered to help. PMs sent.

I know that Andrew has piles of prizes and Ed will handle the distribution.

Based on the feedback from last year's bash, I'd like to post pictures of the winning pens in the announcement of winner post for the various pen making contests and the Featured Pen Contest. I'd like to post contest rules ASAP in a centralized thread and I'd like to keep all polls in a single Birthday Bash sub-forum. Comments??

That's about enough for tonight. I have a football game to watch...........GO BUCKS!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Also, although it may be the Freestyle pen contest, please schedule a "no holds barred, make whatever you want and you keep your pen" contest.

This brings out the best penmakers (including Butch) and gives the whole membership (including me) something to admire and wish they could do!!!

Dawn will find a volunteer, if that becomes a problem, to handle this contest.

IF Landon's contest requires relinquishing the pen, then these need to be two separate contests. IF not, the "stars" will compete in his contest, I presume.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Modified contest - is that the one people were talking about which involved a complicated set of instructions, (i.e. create a green blank with a white distal line arcing toward a square, cut in half, etc.) and we see which one matches the original the best?

Anything that requires people to start planning, constructing, turning, and finishing a blank in a week or less is going to be a lot of work, and thus will have low participation unless the contests are announced WELL in advance. If we're planning on having pen constructing contests, it might be nice to announce the rules and dates in advance to allow purchase and preparation by the particpants.

As well, the skin game takes a lot of preparation - are we thinking of doing that, or was it a one-time shot? Ed and Dawn will have to chime in on that one, as I believe they cast the skins last year. Is there an easier permutation that we could substitute if skins are going to be hard to find/cast by the end of the month? Perhaps a guess the wood (given clues) game?

Our bounty of prizes thus far is less than in the past, but we'll have members to fill out the holes - I'm going to ask for that very soon, once my vendors have all responded, so I don't miss any in the influx...

We may have to trim some of the constructing contests if there's going to be too much overlap...it's a short month, after all! :)

Andrew

mbroberg

Landon and I had some discussion about the Freestyle Contest last night. Landon likes the idea of the pen donation and said he had feedback from others who liked it also but acknowledged the, "issues" the rule created. I would prefer a "let the creativity flow with no strings attached" contest (which is how I will be running the PITH next year, I learned my lesson :tongue:).

One suggestion I made was to make the donation aspect of the contest voluntary on the part of the winner. Ed's idea of two seperate contests is a good one. Landon wanted some discussin on the contest rules so I assume he will be weighing in here shortly.

Butch has not gotten back with me yet regarding the other pen making contests. Neither Rob, Bruce, Chris or Curtis have either but it's only been less than 24 hours since I sent PMs.

Now, back to work before I get a nasty-gram from our IT guys:eek:.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
IF Landon's contest requires relinquishing the pen, then these need to be two separate contests. IF not, the "stars" will compete in his contest, I presume.

I and many liked the idea, you and many obviously did not. I have NO intention of including any MANDATORY donations this year if I do the contest again. One of the greatest complaints was that some spent so much time(a couple told me almost a year) building their freestyle entry, they just could not part with it. I can certainly understand that and do not want that to be an issue. I do however feel strongly about the fact that the pen should not be allowed to have been worked on for that long. The Bash is held in February, I think the pen should be built within that month. Concepts and ideas are absolutely ok to have been thought about and maybe even trial attempts made but I feel the final entry should be comprised during the bash not before. No one should feel cheated by only having a month as it will be the same for everyone. I have a few ideas on how to help limit the time frame so no one can "cheat". I will reserve comment on those ideas until a later date if this is what decision comes into being. As far as the decision to play or not, I have said along, life is about choices no one makes you do or not do anything. Each has the choice to do as they wish as far as participating goes. Some will, some will not, that is a fact. I love this site and want to cause no one any personal emotional harm so I will try my best to play to all, but at the same time I will not "cave in" on all my ideas for making the contest my own and putting a part of myself into it. WE certainly can have more than one freesyle category(prize dependant) if that is what most would like to see. Let the gates of discussion open. Please keep it polite this year. We do not need any of the "nastygrams" like were sent last year. :wink:

Landon

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"I and many liked the idea, you and many obviously did not."

Landon,

I won't be in the contest, no matter what. I have stayed out of all competitions and declared myself ineligible for prizes since I joined the "bash team". So, personally, I have no ax to grind.

We (Dawn and I) have been very active for many years. So, we have quite a few IAP member friends who phone us regularly. Last year, Dawn heard from many who had planned pens for gifts for others (wives, good friends, etc) that they were planning to make and enter into the contest in February before gifting them. They did not know the rules for the "open pen contest" were going to change.

So, let's be clear---ED doesn't want a THING.

Friends of Ed and Dawn who happen to be exceptional pen artists expressed an opinion that I am passing along to this committee. I am further offering Dawn's service to find a "volunteer" to run it, if needed.

It was NOT my intention to rain on your parade or criticize your choices. So, discuss.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I will be happy to do the photo contest. The year before last I held one and it was one of the most popular contests and most liked according to comments after the fact. I was supposed to do one last year but my real life's drama got in the way. It is basically a contest for the best photos in different categories. Photos can not be taken until the start of the contest. There was a category for freestyle with unlimited editing, best use of the IAP logo, best marketing photo, etc.

One suggestion that I have made in the past...prioritize the contests and award prizes based on their value to what you consider the higher priority contest. In years past, some of the prizes given for the daily trivia contest exceeded the value of some of the first place prizes in the more serious contests.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
"I and many liked the idea, you and many obviously did not."

Landon,

I won't be in the contest, no matter what. I have stayed out of all competitions and declared myself ineligible for prizes since I joined the "bash team". So, personally, I have no ax to grind.

We (Dawn and I) have been very active for many years. So, we have quite a few IAP member friends who phone us regularly. Last year, Dawn heard from many who had planned pens for gifts for others (wives, good friends, etc) that they were planning to make and enter into the contest in February before gifting them. They did not know the rules for the "open pen contest" were going to change.

So, let's be clear---ED doesn't want a THING.

Friends of Ed and Dawn who happen to be exceptional pen artists expressed an opinion that I am passing along to this committee. I am further offering Dawn's service to find a "volunteer" to run it, if needed.

It was NOT my intention to rain on your parade or criticize your choices. So, discuss.
I did not feel that way at all, I only referred my post to YOU and Others as you in your own words were the one who was "passing along to this committee"the opinions of "Friends of Ed and Dawn who happen to be exceptional pen artists ". I'm sure not all, but some, of these exceptional pen artists passed their concern along to me last year directly as well. :wink: Hey it was a new idea for everyone, some liked, some not so much, and now we move on to a new year. If the majority think I'm an idiot and should just keep quiet, I will. Well ok, I wouldn't even if that were the case but it is a nice thought. :eek::biggrin: For the record, I also withdrew from all contests for the same reason. Keep on coming with the suggestions and I'll try to incorporate them. The fewer suggestions there are means the more I will come up with and that my friends, is a real scary thought.

P.S. I agree whole heartedly with Curtis about the prize allocation.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

I believe the "Featured Pen Contest" that Cav handled should be continued. This is, I hope, the contest that takes the "front page' pens and has voting for the best pen of the year. So, mostly it is "cut and paste" work.

If we need a volunteer to run it, I will see whose arm I can twist. These pen contests are truly the "meat" of the bash, so if we need additional chairpersons, I'd be happy to help "draft volunteers".

The skin contest was probably a "one-time event". Hank Lee had sent a number of skins from Japan to make the contest more challenging. Most of them created casting challenges that we could not overcome in the time frame (we got them late in January and most had "issues" for casting). So, many were never part of the contest. I don't think "Joe member" knew the difference, but it wasn't as spectacular as the original plan.

So, an "identify the wood" which was used the prior year, may be a better "guessing game". Perhaps we should contact Mad Dog Burls to lead this. They have been a sponsor every year, I believe--they may be happy to get the exposure.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike,

I believe the "Featured Pen Contest" that Cav handled should be continued. This is, I hope, the contest that takes the "front page' pens and has voting for the best pen of the year. So, mostly it is "cut and paste" work.

So, an "identify the wood" which was used the prior year, may be a better "guessing game". Perhaps we should contact Mad Dog Burls to lead this. They have been a sponsor every year, I believe--they may be happy to get the exposure.
Both are GREAT ideas.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree as well on the prize issue.

Last year was the first year I asked Andrew to find out the "prize value" from the donor. Then when it was time to allocate prizes, every first place prize had a value of $100 (according to the donor and I agreed with nearly all). The second places were about $60-75, from there it was more difficult.

Of course we had to allocate the prizes January 30 and 31 (a Saturday and Sunday). Not all the companies had committed, so a couple of prizes were not "up to snuff" with the rest of the contests.

So, if you know any donors who will give $100 prizes BEFORE January 29, that will help. It appears we will have 5-6 pen contests and the photo contest. Also, of course, the "better prizes" are reserved for Jeff's drawing and "un-raffle" (to please PayPal).

So, in total, it would be nice to have 10--$100 prizes.
Last year PSI had one, but they have been bashed pretty thoroughly on the forum, CSUSA was criticized for their donation last year---where will Andrew FIND these prizes???

So, I will do what I did last year, again. On that Saturday and Sunday, I will list the prizes in decreasing dollar value, most expensive first (after the "un-raffle" prizes are removed), then assign the nicest prize to Landon's contest (since I perceive it as the most prestigious), and move down from there. If the Liar's contest runs again, it is likely to have the same lower quality prizes as last year, unless this group wants it done differently or by someone else.

Either is fine, just let me know.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In rereading the contests, Ugly pen gets kind of slighted as well. I am VERY open to re-prioritizing if some have a different top to bottom alignment.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I agree the freestyle will be considered a "big" contest and deserves a nice prize allocation. The crossword puzzle contest I made up is relatively simple but different so should be fun. I don't think it will require a "major" prize. I personally think just a couple sets of nice blanks would cover both of the places I wanted to award. I think the other building contest should be well taking care of as well. The Ugly pen contest might be ok to receive a toned down prize quality.(As I recall it needed many prizes to cover all the categories) I don't personally feel they need to be "top of the line" prizes there, but the contest is popular and may require the most quanity of different prizes. The photo contest will not interest some but the ones that do will take it serious and are very talented artists and should be awarded accordingly. Even those who don't care to join it are usually still excited to follow it and enjoy it very much. The Trivia is also a big contest as far as participation goes but it does not neccessarily need the most effort put into it to play. I would think most winners would be happy with a box of blanks, some kits, or something along those lines.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
some of the prizes given for the daily trivia contest exceeded the value of some of the first place prizes in the more serious contests.

Sorry, I had not read this prior to now.

That is true, Curtis. The reason was those prizes in the trivia nearly ALL came in in February. We went into the bash with 10 of the 28 days covered for the daily prize. (NONE of these prizes had a value over $35) Also one of the major contests (don't remember which one, but Butch ran it and was MOST helpful) had the prize changed a couple times during the month as better options arrived.

This is another reason my "last years notes" mentioned a deadline for prizes. As a PRACTICAL MATTER, I understand we need to take what we get when the sponsor decides to say yes.

But that CAN make the distribution look skewed.
For the record, this is also why Exotics doesn't say what we will give in total. Last year, we added about $200 of prizes to fill in where needed.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tell ya what I'm gonna do!!!!

The last week, I will put a poll in this forum, allowing everyone to rank the contests. The one that gets the highest point count will get the top dollar value prize, and right down the line.

That way, we have "allocation by committee" I am 100% in favor of democracy!!!!

(And it makes that Saturday MUCH easier)

Bear in mind I can only assign the prizes that are COMMITTED on that Saturday, January 28 (I think)!!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't be giving out $100 prizes yet, Ed, or we'll have to start combining them all together! :)

I don't have any response from PSI, CSUSA, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc...many of the companies have been given bad raps lately, so it's no wonder...

I'll keep trying, though!

Andrew

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Also a concept that we used last year:

The skins game needed a "Grand Prize" and plaques had been suggested. (The weekly prize was the blanks the winner had identified) So, in the eleventh hour, late in February, after Dawn & Cav sent several emails to the original "volunteer" that went without reply, Charlie (NewLondon88) made the plaques in about three days.

No one was the wiser.

Charlie probably won't be available this year, but the IDEA is good!!! Perhaps we can use it for some of the contests. But make certain to have "plaque in hand", not just a promise.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
We had berea give some very large donations in the past, but I didn't think that was wise, considering the stigma attached to their name around here! :)

Egg On My Face Edit: Apparently I had sent out an email to them a while back, as I just got a response in my inbox...I must have been in a different world when I sent that one out, because I really don't remember it...(just going through my contact list, I guess)

Andrew

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew,

In the past few years I have gained an incredible respect for the way you get prizes!!!

I'm sure you do better than I could with a small army!!

Keep it up.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator

) So, in the eleventh hour, late in February, after Dawn & Cav sent several emails to the original "volunteer" that went without reply, Charlie (NewLondon88) made the plaques in about three days.

Hey now, I was the one who originally suggested plaques for some of the big contests. It was bantered around on the bash forum and I offered to make them and have them laser engraved. I know at one point I was contacted about them AND replied that all I needed was artwork and a count but never heard any more. Are you referring to me in the post above or was there an additional volunteer?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

) So, in the eleventh hour, late in February, after Dawn & Cav sent several emails to the original "volunteer" that went without reply, Charlie (NewLondon88) made the plaques in about three days.

Hey now, I was the one who originally suggested plaques for some of the big contests. It was bantered around on the bash forum and I offered to make them and have them laser engraved. I know at one point I was contacted about them AND replied that all I needed was artwork and a count but never heard any more. Are you referring to me in the post above or was there an additional volunteer?
I don't know anything about last years plan but I think it would be a great idea this year. I'm about as artistic as a hippo is pretty so someone else needs to get with you(Curtis) to work this out but I appreciate you being willing to help, I just have no skills to help design them.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Landon,

I think you may have mis-read some of this. I am NOT offering to do any plaques now or ever in the future and will not be participating in this in any way.

I don't know anything about last years plan but I think it would be a great idea this year. I'm about as artistic as a hippo is pretty so someone else needs to get with you(Curtis) to work this out but I appreciate you being willing to help, I just have no skills to help design them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If plaques are appropriate we will locate them and Exotics can, quietly purchase them, as we did last year. The only folks who knew, until now, were Dawn, Cav, Charlie and me.

So, let the conversation continue.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We used them last year for the "front page" winners (Dawn and Cav ran it, don't remember the name).

We figured the plaque with "Quarterly winner" would find a place on a wall and be remembered longer than a gift certificate.

Now, if the number of "high end" prizes is going to dwindle, do you think a plaque is of "equal value" or will motivate participation in a contest, like a gift certificate

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Of course not everyone will agree but after competing in various things, the prize money is gone rather quickly, but the plaques and trophies will remain to tell the kids and/or grandkids all about what it was for.

mbroberg

Here is what we have so far:

1. Trivia Contest – Volunteer(s) needed. (I'll try to draft Chris and James – see below)
  2. Modified Pen Contest – Butch (lbd2000)
  3. Beginner Pen Contest – Butch (lbd2000)
  4. Beautiful Pen Contest – Butch (lbd2000)
  5. Freestyle Pen Contest – Landon (Hunter-27) – I think, Landon?
  6. Ugly Pen Contest – Scott
  7. Featured Pen Contest – Mike (mbroberg)
  8. Best Article – Tom (TomW)​
  9. Crossword Challenge – Landon (Hunter27)​
  10. Photo Contest – Curtis (MesquiteMan)​
I believe the Skins Game should be discontinued. Both Dawn and Stephen said they would help out in what ever way they can. Based on Ed's comments about the skins coming from Hank Lee, etc., I am not a caster (yet) so I have no practical experience in the process. I do know that it takes time to aquire skins, it takes time to make a QUALITY casted blank (has anyone ever seen any substandard work from Dawn? Ed you are not allowed to answer that.). The feedback was not overwhelming positive or negative. I think it is probably a lot of work that is, for the most part, under appriciated. That is my .02.​

Gary Madroe has not responded to my PM about a Wood Identification Contest. Is Gary Madroe the owner of Mad Dog Burls. If not, could someone contact Mad Dog Burls for me and ask if they would be willing to run a Wood Identification Contest?​

Additional volumteers:​

• Chris (Displaced Canadian)
  • James (Phunky_2003)​
  • Stephen (Skiprat)​
  • Dawn (PR_Princess)​
Neil told me that last year Jerry Sambrook and Charlie (NewLondon88) were involved in Bash planning. Should I contact them this year?​

I would like to have the rules to all pen making contests will be announced on February 1st. It would be nice if a "Grand Opening Birthday Bash Announcement", which contains all the rules and pertenant information about the Birthday Bash and all activities could be posted early morning on the 1st. I think the obvious one to post it would be Jeff. Perhaps it could be all written out before hand. All jeff would have to do is cut, paste and post.​

Jeff / Curtis – May I have a calender created that I can use to schedule the events? Once completed, it could be visible to the membership.​

mbroberg

Late Breaking News.......'

James (Phunkey_2003) has confirmed he will do the Trivia Contest. i suspect Chris will be willing also, but he hasn't responded yet.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I have contacted Bad Dog Burls as part of my prize drive, but have not yet received a response in terms of a prize donation.

That being the case, I doubt they'd be willing to take over a contest, as they haven't signed up to donate anything..

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have contacted Bad Dog Burls as part of my prize drive, but have not yet received a response in terms of a prize donation.

That being the case, I doubt they'd be willing to take over a contest, as they haven't signed up to donate anything..

Do you mind if I ask them about this? Jerry Sambrook is a good friend of theirs and mine, may be able to "make it happen".

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Yes, I have the 2011 Freestyle in the works. If anyone has any opinions, ideas, or concerns, but do not want them to become public, feel free to PM me about it and we can go from there. If anyone wants to call rather than type it out, PM me for my cell # or give me yours and we can chat. The crossword contest is ready pending pasting in the exact dates, times and prize allocation.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Freestyle duscussion--continued:

I'm leaning on the side of not worrying about timelines/guidles
I have some ideas bouncing around in my head (lots of space to roam in there) about the donate or not options. I'm working on a "choice" program as far as donations go

Should we start each contest its own thread to keep from having to scroll through the "stuff" to find the points you are looking for? On this I vote yes but wont do so unless Ya'll agree.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe each contest having it's own thread would be good---keep discussions compartmentalized.

But, I'll "go with the flow".

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
We're at 4 pages for this one already - I think specific questions are easier to answer, esp. if htey have their own thread...

And for some reason, this thread doesn't ever come up in my 'new posts'...I'd like to see if it's just this thread, or all of the Bday Bash forum..

Andrew

Top Bottom