Planer Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, I've got a Dewalt 745 planer and the rollers have stopped feeding the stock through. It just goes through normal then will stop then start moving again and so on. It's not the length of the board or the depth of the cut because I was taking 1/32. They seem to be fine when I look underneath with no board. I've got two working theories: maybe they are less grippy since it's so cold (35-40 in an unjnsulated garage). Or maybe the blades are dull and providing too much resistance. Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it? Is it possible for the rollers to wear out. The planer is maybe 3-4 years old and I don't use it all that much. Certainly not enough that I would think it reasonable for the rollers to be worn. Any help would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey Eric. In my experience it might be the feed rollers. I had a Delta that every so often needed some cleaning on the rollers. I just used acetone and it worked pretty well. I'm sure others will be able to provide you with more info than what I've shared here. Good luck!

EricRN

Hey Eric. In my experience it might be the feed rollers. I had a Delta that every so often needed some cleaning on the rollers. I just used acetone and it worked pretty well. I'm sure others will be able to provide you with more info than what I've shared here. Good luck!
Thanks. I blew the rollers out with compressed air but I will give acetone a try!

Roly

I have a very old planer and over time I have found that to fix this problem in it was to clean the bottom plate and give it a coat of lubricant. Sylvox or something similar. Comes in tobacco tin size container and only the least amount is needed. I'll have a look at the name when I go down the shed.

jttheclockman

Before we start, the rubber on many tools such as planners is subject to cold hardness and the lack gripping ability so that is out there. You could take a heat gun and blow hot air on tool before start planning and see if that starts pulling. If so you found a problem. but the cleaning thing and blade change could also be necessary. As with all planners there are certain things that need to be looked at before diving too far into whys. In order the blade may need to sharpened or replaced, second the rollers need cleaning, and third the bed needs cleaning a waxed. These all help maintain the roller feeding. If you are planning lots of resinous woods the rollers as well as the bed and knives will build dirt and grime. So start there. Clean the bed and put a good coat of wax on. I love minwax butchers wax for table tops and things like this. Rollers should be cleaned with Naptha, mineral spirits or acetone. Some rollers will get spongy and soft if they react with the product you are using. Now you are just wiping on and right off so should be fine. You can test on end of roller before committing. If it gets soft then do not use. Blades are self explanatory Dull blades are always problems. Rollers need more cleaning than what people realize.

Now if all these things are done and still having problems. other things to consider. First is dust collection. You need good dust collection because if dust keeps building on board it will hinder grip and if large piece are falling on board it prevents the entire roller to grip the board and thus stutters. All the above things will cause hesitation or random starts and stops of feeding.

But what is getting to me is your statement in that you said the rollers stopped feeding. So I am assuming they just do not grab at all or make any attempt to grab board. Then that is a whole other set of problems but easily checked. The chain for the rollers could be slipping for various reasons. The tension spring is loose or broken, the key on one of the sprockets has snapped (maybe because too big of a bite) or knots in wood. or sprockets have become loose. You need to take the side cover off and take a close look. That is a very good planner.

rherrell

I have that same planer and when the boards start sticking I wax the bed with Johnsons paste wax, that fixes it. I've had it for 15 years and never had a problem with the rollers.

EricRN

Thanks all. I'll try wiping down the rollers and waxing the bed and see if that fixes it

Curly

I would suggest using the acetone as last resort for cleaning the rollers. It breaks down the rubber. Start with more benign household cleaners before heading towards acetone.

greenacres2

Rick Harrell has my vote. Keeping my bed waxed is routine maintenance on my 735. Dull blades was reason #2, but a Byrd Helical head cured that. The rollers don't exert a lot of downforce so the 735 (and my 733 before) really need a slick bed.

Mike

I found that wiping the rollers down with dawn dish soap and water makes them softer again. Works on many different things that need rubber softened uo. I think it just takes off dust and cleans away dried out rubber. And as Rick said, good old Johnson's paste wax on the bed works wonders. I just waxed my lathe bed with it a few days ago. What a difference in ease of moving the tail stock.

Mike

Top Bottom