Pith 2009 photos go here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I received my Pen from Kyle today. With Christmas at full steam their is no way my wife is going to let me get out the photo stuff but Kyle said he took a picture before mailing it. hopefully he will see this and post a picture of the Jr. Gent rollerball he made me. Not only is the Gent, and it's little brother my very favorite pen. I know from the little bit of conversation Kyle and I have had in the past few weeks. This was no casual effort on his part to make. It will always be treasured not only as a favored pen style. But for the heart and spirit that went into it. The material is a burl with Acrylic filled voids. not an easy material to work with. Thank you Kyle for a pen that anyone would be proud to call their own. Your work is beautiful.

Manny

Hans has had a busy weekend , and I already had some photos of his pen . So , I told him I could post them for him . This is an aluminum pen , with the blanks coming from Johnnycnc . It is a Rhodium/Blk.Ti Jr. Statesman II Rollerball . I had it powder coated red , then sanded and polished on the lathe . I sent it with a leather case from Lou (DCbluesman)
It was great swapping with Hans !

I love the colored powder coating idea.

I have some aluminum stock from Johnny as well. I got to try that!

Manny

timcbs

Rosewood Blank

Hey Guys,

This was my first time doing the Pen Exchange and I had a blast, my partner Chris AKA- stolicky sent me 7 blanks along with my Pen, Thank You very much, one of the was a Bolivian Rosewood, I have been looking for a Rosewood blank to make for a friend and everyone I find is too dark, the one Chris sent was perfect.

Here a picture of the pen I made with the blank.

Attachments

• Rosewood Pen.jpg
    Rosewood Pen.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 271

stolicky

Hey Guys,

Here is the pen I made for my exchange, how he likes it, I had a hard time making the closed end, hidden clip out of acrylic, most of the time I do it out of wood and it took me 3 blanks before I got this one right...

Tim Hill

By the way I do like it. I'm not sure how I missed this post. I even remember seeing the blank, and was like, "hey, that's the same blank Tim used on my pen." (duh.)

Hey Guys,

This was my first time doing the Pen Exchange and I had a blast, my partner Chris AKA- stolicky sent me 7 blanks along with my Pen, Thank You very much, one of the was a Bolivian Rosewood, I have been looking for a Rosewood blank to make for a friend and everyone I find is too dark, the one Chris sent was perfect.

Here a picture of the pen I made with the blank.

Your welcome. I'm glad it came out nice. I haven't had a chance to turn any of it. What did you use as a finish on the rosewood? I know some oils can darken it.

Oh, something strange happened today. I came home today to a second box from Tim. Apparently, he forgot to include "packing material" ;) in the box that had the pen in it, so he decided I should have it anyway. Thank you, you really didn't have to send me anything else....

timcbs

Hi Chris,

For the finished I used 8 coats of CA and then polished to 12000 with Micro-Mesh and then Renaissance Wax Polish.

No problem about the blanks I have way over 100 in stock and don't mind sharing....

dntrost

I got these two beautiful PITH pens from Dion (dtrost) - the Sierra one given to me by the New Danville people. They are both so beautiful! And its the first fountain pen JUST FOR ME! I love it so much!

I feel bad that I don't have a picture of the one I sent Dion. Sure hopes he can post one. Thank you so very much.

Glad you liked them I will get a picture of the pen you gave me today!!!!!!:biggrin:

Fishrule

Thanks Daniel for the kind words. You're so right about the two materials reacting differently to turning and sanding. I struggled mightily to bring them both to the same level of sheen without scratches. Unfortunately, I didn't succeed completely, but came reasonably close.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• web-PITH-Pen-2009.jpg
    web-PITH-Pen-2009.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 212
  • web-PITH-Pen-2009---2.jpg
    web-PITH-Pen-2009---2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 154
  • web-PITH-Pen-2009---3.jpg
    web-PITH-Pen-2009---3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 163

Chief Hill

Well here is my PITH finally arrived from our young member Alex.
Aka, ZanderPommo
Gold Cigar on segmented Curly maple and Paduk. (hope I got it right) Bloodwood looks close too.
Either way.
Thanks Alex your well on your way buddy. Good job on the segmenting. Tight fit and good finish.

Well done and now I have a new daily writer for work.

Attachments

• 100_4300.jpg
    100_4300.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_4299.jpg
    100_4299.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 180

ZanderPommo

nope its bloodwood:wink:
glad it made the long journey in one piece, and before christmas!
i let the bloodwood dust contaminate the maple a bit, because i loved the look.:rolleyes:
well not on purpose but i still loved the look, so i let it get the nod of approval and sent it off

Im glad you liked it.
the bloodwood i have is similar to paduak grain wise, but its still got the color.
that finish ain't my best but keep in mind it was done in a 40 degree shop!

Seer

I recieved mine from Wolftat today and was shocked, the pen is beautiful and I will post pics later but also there were several gorgeous blanks. I hope to attain this level soon so I can send a better pen next time. Thank you Wolftat and Merry Christmas from a zoomie, (USAF Vet)
Jerry

DennisM

Here is the beautiful PITH pen I received from creative. I actualy received it last week but didnt have the camera to take the photo with.

This is also the first pic (well of a pen) with the new camera. This pen is amazing and I hope that he is pleased with the one he should be getting anyday now from me!

Attachments

• DSC_0211.jpg
    DSC_0211.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 256

ZanderPommo

by the way cheifhill i noticed the pen you sent me had a nice refill, i had none of those, so if that is going to be your daily writer, you may want to replace the refill

jthompson1995

I received my pen, and a few blanks, from Jay Devin yesterday. It is a nice red/white/green swirled poly resin balnk on an elegant beauty sierra. I'll take some photos as soon as I can get some time.

Buzzzz4

Received this pen from Randy a little while ago. I will enjoy this pen and have enjoyed participating. Thanks, Randy!

Here is three pics of what I have made. Parts are green, red, & white acrylic, diet coke can cut up, and white tubes in a chrome cigar kit.
will be sending it off next week!

1_PITH_PARTS_2009.jpg
1_PITH_BLANK_2009.jpg
1_PITH_09_Pen.jpg

Seer

Here are the pics of the pen from Neil (Wolftat) and loml and I were actually floored by it, It is gorgeous and I thank you so much for the extras also. This pen beats mine 100-1 and I feel guilty.

Attachments

• IMG_2775small.jpg
    IMG_2775small.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2771small.jpg
    IMG_2771small.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2776small.jpg
    IMG_2776small.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 198

Russianwolf

Got this from Bob Younghusband (and my wife want to change our last names now :eek: since she's older than me). I really like what he was able to do with the "criteria". But I'll have to let him describe it better, I'm still droolin'

Attachments

• Picture 063.jpg
    Picture 063.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 194
Hey Dennis I am glad it came. The family and I are up in Indiana this week so the suspense is killing me. I will be sure to get some photos up when we head back south. I am glad you like it.

ken69912001

Here is the pen I received from hehndc (Steve Hehn) Very nice looking pen. He even did the finial end with the same material. Also this is the first pictures I have taken with my new photo tent. My pen is on the way to him. Here is a tease for him.

Attachments

• DSC04822.JPG
    DSC04822.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC04823.JPG
    DSC04823.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC04816-1.JPG
    DSC04816-1.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 162

RIPPIN45

Received my pith!

Eric; Thanks for the PITH Herringbone. The picture is too light and is actually a darker green trustone with black veneer. The pen is outstanding and will be a permanent keeper for me as this has been a great experience.

1_PITH_2009.jpg

Buzzzz4

Eric; Thanks for the PITH Herringbone. The picture is too light and is actually a darker green trustone with black veneer. The pen is outstanding and will be a permanent keeper for me as this has been a great experience.

Thanks, Randy. I'm glad you like it. It's an Imperial Jade Trustone from Dawn and Ed with black wood veneer done by hand with scrollsaw cuts. This is my first attempt at a 180 Herringbone. (thanks Akbar!). Finished with CA.
Here are a couple of other pics for ya.

Attachments

• PC180181.jpg
    PC180181.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 208
  • PC180182.jpg
    PC180182.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

byounghusband

LOL!! My wife is older than me as well, so it is TRUE for me....:biggrin::biggrin:
The pen is Ironwood with Green and Red dyed Box Elder pieces wrapped in Coke Can aluminum in a Black Ti-gold Elegant Sierra kit. All the elements in this PITH, Gold, Silver, Green, and Red.

I have to give credit for the inspiration on how to come up with this to Jeff Powel (Workinforwood) His articles on scrollsaw pens got me thinking.

Thanks Jeff!!!

Mike sent me some really nice pens too!! Yes, I said Pens (plural). I will post pics later today.

To All,

Merry CHRISTmas!!!

Got this from Bob Younghusband (and my wife want to change our last names now :eek: since she's older than me). I really like what he was able to do with the "criteria". But I'll have to let him describe it better, I'm still droolin'

Last edited:

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
PITH from Mr Vic

I got this beauty today from Mr Vic. Redheart with Brass, Aluminum, and Green segmenting. Also got a plastic dead center for CA application and some neat blanks. Check out the finish. Super. Thanks Vic
1_Pith_from_Mr_Vic.jpg

Last edited:

RichB

My first PITH pen received

I received my PITH pen yesterday from Andy (Atsowers) and here it is. A beautiful pen with metal in it. It is a beauty with a lot of work behind it. Thanks Andy

Attachments

• PITH Pen Received.jpg
    PITH Pen Received.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 199

byounghusband

Look what I got from Russianwolf

Here is what arrived yesterday from Mike Shue. Boy was I suprised when I opened it up!! I guess I was a good boy this year :rolleyes:. A Cigar Pen and a Pen and Pencil set :bananen_smilies051:

attachment.jpg

Here is a very nice Black Ti-Chrome Cigar with a fansastic PR Princess blank. The pic doesn't do it justice!!

attachment.jpg

And on top of that, a home made Polymer Clay Pen and Pencil set. These came out GREAT!!

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Thanks Mike for these!! They are wonderful!!

Merry CHRISTmas to ALL!!!

Attachments

• DSC02166.jpg
    DSC02166.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC02170.jpg
    DSC02170.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC02167.jpg
    DSC02167.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC02161.JPG
    DSC02161.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 467

PenPal

Pith Exchange to Ed and Dawn

Two Pens.
A 3000 yr verified ancient stick of Australian River Red Gum recovered from 180 feet below a sand pit.
The design to set the pen in another era for Ed.
For Dawn cross cut Conkerberry from a tree found in the far north of Australia grown in an isolated tough region covered in thorns and attacked by termites who love this timber almost as much as I do.

Both Ed and Dawn have been very gracious in receiving these pens both of which gave me great pleasure to fashion.

Happy New Year Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0313.jpg
    DSCF0313.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCF0325.jpg
    DSCF0325.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF0387.JPG
    DSCF0387.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF0396.JPG
    DSCF0396.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 152

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Here are the pics of the pen from Neil (Wolftat) and loml and I were actually floored by it, It is gorgeous and I thank you so much for the extras also. This pen beats mine 100-1 and I feel guilty.
Jerry, the pen you sent to me was made of one of my favorite woods and is beautiful, it will proudly join my collection and will be on my display shelf along with pens from many other pen makers from around the world. Thank you for the kind words and I am happy that you like the pen I made.
Semper Fi

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
From Whaler

This beautiful pen arrived during a heavy travel/work time for me, so I am late posting it. Dick (Whaler) did a masterful job with this beautiful burl. It will be added to the rotation of special pens from special friends. Thank you, Dick, for a beautiful Christmas addition!

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0664.jpg
    _DSC0664.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 372

glycerine

my pen from Cajun Skeeter

Got my PITH pen from Larry Pickering (Cajun Skeeter). He also threw in a blank that looks like the same one he made the pen out of and one of those leather cases as well. This thing looks great, much "pearlier" in person...

Thanks Larry!!!!

Attachments

• PITH_pen.jpg
    PITH_pen.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 206

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I just want to put a thank you in here to Landon and who ever else helped with this year's PITH. What a great year and wonderful PITH event! I am amazed at all the wonderful talent shown in these pens. You did a great job organizing this! :good:

ngeb528

Got a PM from my PITH pal, Darrin (DAHelton) Christmas Eve to tell me that his PITH pen arrived. I was very glad that it made it there in time for Christmas.

I'll go ahead and post a pic of the pen I made for him.

Both parts are homebrew acrylics. The top is black with a little gold swirled in it and the bottom is green with gold swirls. The kit is the Executive from CSUSA. I really like the looks of the kit.

Attachments

• PITH 001.jpg
    PITH 001.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 163
  • PITH 007.jpg
    PITH 007.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 162

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I got a wonderful package from Australia today..

(don't worry Amos .. it arrived safe and sound :biggrin: )

I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, and it is cast in a green resin and
engraved. Hey.. now I have a fountain pen! :biggrin:
Also came with a form fitting velvet insert for the engraved box.

Thank you , Amos. I think I got the better side of this exchange.

Attachments

• PITH4.jpg
    PITH4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 169
  • PITH2.jpg
    PITH2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 185
  • PITH3.jpg
    PITH3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 167

tim self

My PITH to Charleston

Here's my offering do Dennis. Jr. State FP dressed in white turq. gold webbing. Also, thanks for putting this thing on. Some really beautiful stuff out there.

Attachments

• JrStatewhiteturq1.jpg
    JrStatewhiteturq1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 167

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
PITH from Airrat

This Sedona is wrapped in a great looking two tone black and red stabilized box elder burl. The form, fit and finish is first rate! Thanks Tom! :biggrin::good:

1_PITH_Fall_2009d.jpg
1_PITH_Fall_2009c.jpg

Last edited:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Landon and I swapped pens in the PITH, and he got cheated! :) So far he is still buying the story that his pen got lost in the Midwestern blizzard!

I received a Retro Jr Gent with an amazing red acrylic blank packed carefully with some killer blanks for protection! Naturally, I cannot show the depth of color that this beautiful pen has, but trust me, it is a fine piece of work that I will display proudly.

Thanks Landon, not just for the pen and all the hard work you put into the PITH, but for the spirit in which you did the work.

EDIT: Oops, I accidentally uploaded the photo of Landon shoveling snow in his Snow Fairy costume! Gee whiz, since I am an "older fella" :wink: I don't know how to delete the image.

Attachments

• PITH.jpg
    PITH.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 134
  • PITH 2.jpg
    PITH 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 177
  • ATT00002.jpg
    ATT00002.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I did not think anyone was watching me shovel this morning. :eek:
Thanks for the kind words. Thanks to ALL for going through this event with me in charge.(Scary thought).

Last edited:
Top Bottom