Pith 2009 photos go here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Hans

I received my pen from Hans Wunch (HeWunch) today , and I am embarrassed . I believe I got a better trade than Hans did on this one . Abeautiful brew of colors made by Hans himself , turned into a closed end with hidden clip . Hans also included some of his Delrin bushings for Cigar and Sierra pens . Thank you so much Hans ! :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 185

khogan16

My pith pen has arrived

I received my PITH pen today from my partner, Sam, I think he did an excellent job on this pen. The segmenting was Fantastic as well as the finish. I also got some great blanks that he sent with the pen. I have say that this was a great experience, I now have a good friend all the way across the US. It has been fun talking to Sam and getting to know him, It was uncanny how much we have in common. I would like to say thank you to Hunter-27 for pairing me with Sam.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 197

khogan16

Teaser photos

Here are some teaser photos for you Junosdad, See if you can guess what it is. Your pen will be in the mail in the AM. :biggrin: I'm not giving you much to go on.

Attachments

• close up 1.jpg
    close up 1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 475
  • close up 2.jpg
    close up 2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 177

hewunch

I received my pen from Hans Wunch (HeWunch) today , and I am embarrassed . I believe I got a better trade than Hans did on this one . Abeautiful brew of colors made by Hans himself , turned into a closed end with hidden clip . Hans also included some of his Delrin bushings for Cigar and Sierra pens . Thank you so much Hans ! :biggrin:

I am looking forward to seeing yours. I bet it is wonderful. BTW the acrylic is from Exotic blanks (The "seas" blank, I wish I could make something that pretty!) and the blue ring goes on your headstock behind a chuck to keep it from locking on. Enjoy!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am looking forward to seeing yours. I bet it is wonderful. BTW the acrylic is from Exotic blanks (The "seas" blank, I wish I could make something that pretty!) and the blue ring goes on your headstock behind a chuck to keep it from locking on. Enjoy!
Thanks for clearing that up for me Hans . I do make mistakes occasionally :biggrin: . The pen is beautiful . Thank you again !

timcbs

My PITH Pen has arrived

Chris,

Thank You sooooo much the pen you made just blew me away, I like the story about the Blank, I will let you tell the guy the story. and Thank you for the blanks, I have a friend who like Rosewood and I was going to make her a Rosewood Pen but could not find any blanks that I liked most of them were to dark, The one you send will be perfect, I am go to turn it right now.

Here are a couple of Photos of the PITH that Chris made for me.

Tim Hill

Attachments

• Chris1.jpg
    Chris1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 222
  • Chris2.jpg
    Chris2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 190
  • Chris3.jpg
    Chris3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 214

Stick Rounder

WOW! All of these pens are wonderful and creative. I posted mine to Cindy yesterday. I will wait to post photos after she receives it. How 'bout that for a tease.

stolicky

Okay, here is the story....

Just over a year ago, for the Secret Santa, I received a package from SuperDave. He sent me a nice cigar pen made from a home brew resin, a blank that matched the cigar pen, and also some other nice blanks.

Here is a little background:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40098

I thought it would be nice to not only send someone a pen I made, but also one made from a blank that another IAP member created. Its kind of a joint pen - without Dave knowing (I hope he's okay with it). Oh the little piece on the finial is from one of the Invisavue blanks.

So Dave - the blank turned beautifully. I did had some difficulty with the sanding, but that very well may have been me. My plastic sanding pads need a good cleaning...

Tim, I'm glad you are happy with it. I'm impressed that priority mail managed to go coast to coast, for both of us, in two days! Please, post a pic of the rosewood when you are done, I haven't turned any of it yet.

rjwolfe3

Wow your photos look a heckofa lot better then the ones I took of it. She spent a lot of time on that. She was going for the Christmas tree look with the green and pine.

JayDevin

My Pith With Jason

The Postman brought me a package, that was truly amazing!
Jason made a wonderfull pen and sent me many blanks too!

My Photos just dont do it justice!

Thanks Again Jason!

Attachments

• DSC01646.jpg
    DSC01646.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC01647.jpg
    DSC01647.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC01648.jpg
    DSC01648.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 197

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I've been enjoying the pics, I hope everyone enjoyed this years PITH. Thanks to all for putting up with me and my flaws (poor spelling of names, double postings, etc.)

altaciii

Landon,
I think you did a superb job setting this up. I believe it has been the largest PITH we have had and I thank you for taking the time. It will give all of us an opportunity to see some of aour fellow pen turners work. Merry Christmas
Alex

ZanderPommo

Landon I have to say at least for me there was no trouble but instead a very smoothly done extremely enjoyable event.
Well done.
3 for Landon folks!
Hip Hip!.......:biggrin:

ldb2000

I agree ....Horay!!! Great job Landon .
Great pens everyone , it was lots of fun .
Hey Jim , if I'm lucky maybe we will get paired again in the next PITH so you can make a pen for me :confused: The wife says "Thanks" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

TurnaPen

Pity my PITH friend

Earlier this year I was in a swap on the Eagle site, my swap partner then was Charlie aka NewLondon88.
I put my name in the hat for PITH(Pen In The Hat) on IAP, and guess who my partner was-- out of the hat he popped-Charlie!!! poor fellow, he really outdid me 100 to 1, I received this beautiful Casien Jnr. Emperor Fountain pen( I sent him a scrappy little slimline)(only joking).
However his pen outstrips my offering, always wanted a fountain pen! and one this beautiful just knocks the socks off! Thanks Charlie, and some blanks so I can make a better pen to send to him!!!.
I feel merrier today-good medicine, Amos
PS to make things more interesting the box arrived and soon after Fred appeared in the shop (BigShed), after twisting his hand off my Casien pen we had a general chat-each of us eyeing off the prize! I told him to bring the Bee pen in so i could get the bug out of it he wasn't listening--Amos

Attachments

• P1040410 (Medium).JPG
    P1040410 (Medium).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 206
  • P1040406 (Large).jpg
    P1040406 (Large).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 188
  • P1040403 (Large).jpg
    P1040403 (Large).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 162
  • P1040394 (Medium).JPG
    P1040394 (Medium).JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 187
  • P1040397 (Large).jpg
    P1040397 (Large).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 196
  • P1040408 (Medium).JPG
    P1040408 (Medium).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 176

Jim Smith

This a photo of the pen that I sent to PapaBear for the PITH pen exchange. It is a gold Zen pen with a green crushed velvet blank. I offered to post the photo for PapaBear since his camera is just about maxed out with his daughter's basketball tournaments. Thanks again for hosting the PITH pen exchange, it's a terrific way to help folks get to know each other better while promoting the "hobby/obsession.

013.jpg

Jim Smith

tim self

A little bleach!

Mine arrived from Charlestonpenworks today. I was real surprised when I opened my box today and saw this. I had never seen Bleached Wenge before and was stoked! Photo could be better but here ya go. Thanks Dennis.

Attachments

• Bleached Wenge Jr.1.jpg
    Bleached Wenge Jr.1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 250

OKLAHOMAN

Just received this today all wrapped in Christmas paper, but being the 68 year old child I am I couldn't wait until Christmas to unwrap it. From one of our newbees Don Pratt (donpratt).....sure looks like a old timers job to me.
IMG_1630-1Medium.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Finally got my pith pen finished today will send it out tomorrow. Ill save the pics for later.

Papa Bear

I loved the pen that Jim sent!Now if I can keep it away from my wife and daughter I can enjoy it!I think everyone went all out in the PITH exchange!Thanks again Jim for a wonderful pen!!!

SuperDave

Okay, here is the story....

Just over a year ago, for the Secret Santa, I received a package from SuperDave. He sent me a nice cigar pen made from a home brew resin, a blank that matched the cigar pen, and also some other nice blanks.

Here is a little background:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40098

I thought it would be nice to not only send someone a pen I made, but also one made from a blank that another IAP member created. Its kind of a joint pen - without Dave knowing (I hope he's okay with it). Oh the little piece on the finial is from one of the Invisavue blanks.

So Dave - the blank turned beautifully. I did had some difficulty with the sanding, but that very well may have been me. My plastic sanding pads need a good cleaning...

Chris,

I am glad you put the blank to good use! I always wonder how the final product turns out, as you never quite know what the home brew looks like as you start turning it away. I have a regular technique I use to make these blanks, but seldom get to see them finished.

I have my best sanding results by using wet/dry sanding paper, with soapy water, thru 600 grit then the full 1500-12000 MM with water, followed with plastic polish. Takes about 5-10 minutes.

Would love to see a bigger picture of the finished product!

Well done!

stolicky

Dave,

I did go up to 12000 and then plastic polish, but then I took it to the buffer with white diamond. I think that white diamond is actually a coarser grit than 12000 MM.

Here are two links to my Flickr site where I posted pics of the pen. You can get the original size if you really want to look it over closely! You can also see how out of focus the image really is....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33681182@N08/4196608918/in/set-72157616500156660/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33681182@N08/4196609012/in/set-72157616500156660/

I still need to get the tent set up again and snap a couple of pics of the pen Tim sent to me.

fiferb

Loofah

This pen was made for Rob Wolfe. It is red dyed loofah clear casted with Alumilite. The drilled hole was painted green with testors model paint. Thanks to Bruce119 for giving me the dyed loofah ages ago. I finally got up the nerve to try it.

Attachments

• Loofah.jpg
    Loofah.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 230

GoodTurns

Goodturns to TonyHamm

This is my pen sent to TonyHamm for the PITH exchange, Searched his old posts and noticed several comments about Koa...found me a nice piece in the box and then qualified it for the PITH with red acrylic and pickguard!

Attachments

• pith2009 final.jpg
    pith2009 final.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 227

darcisowers

I'm putting my pen in the mail today. Took some photos, and will post if my buddy (foamcapt40) doesn't.

Thanks again for this FUN opportunity. Merry Christmas EVERYONE!

Darci

Last edited:

tonyhamm

Thanks for posting the picture.....Haven't had chance to unpack my lightbox to get picture myself. Koa is one of my favorite woods and you did the piece proud with your workmanship and design.

Many Thanks!

Tony

rjwolfe3

Bruce, I love my pen. Already had a couple inmates try to walk off with it. Funny it's the first pen they have done that with. Must mean it is AWESOME and it's all mine, mine, mine! Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

ngeb528

With the new job taking up a lot of my time, I had to budget my time to get my PITH pal's pen done. Finally got it shipped yesterday. I hope it gets to Darrin before Christmas.

When I got home from sending out Darrins pen, I had a package waiting for me.

I got this amazing Maple burl and acrylic pen. I'm not sure what kit this is but it's amazingly light weight. I will enjoy it for years to come.

Great job, Darrin! I hope you'll like the pen I made for you. Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• PITH pen from Darrin Helton.jpg
    PITH pen from Darrin Helton.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 182
  • PITH pen from Darrin Helton 2.jpg
    PITH pen from Darrin Helton 2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 203

bmac

Recieved mine

Got my pen from bobskio2003 Friday. A very nice segmented cigar pen made with 35 different species of wood native to Hawaii. It sure sent some good vibes considering that is a little on the cold side this weekend. Nothing what the NE is getting, but I'm not a cold weather person. Thanks Bob for a great looking pen.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• DSCN0458.JPG
    DSCN0458.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 209

MarkHix

From Brian Gibbons

I was out of town when the mailman delivered my pen from Brian. He sent me a wonderful Rosewood Burl Baron. I am not much of a photographer so you have to make allowances for this. The shine on this is very deep and the fit is perfect. He also sent along some waterpipe, corian and maple blanks. I came out very much on top in this exchange.

Just in case you missed that thread, at the same time he was making my pen, he and his wife were having a baby.

Congratulations Brian and thank you very much!

Attachments

• PITH Dec09.jpg
    PITH Dec09.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 188

CaptG

Got my PITH pen from Brian (USAFVET98) yesterday. And I got a bonus pen with it. Both pens are beaut's, great fit and finish. Ya done good Brian, thank you very much.

Attachments

• pith 013.jpg
    pith 013.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 221

arjudy

I've been enjoying the pics, I hope everyone enjoyed this years PITH. Thanks to all for putting up with me and my flaws (poor spelling of names, double postings, etc.)

You are a brave man to taken on this challenge.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Thanks for being willing to make this happen for all of us.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Pen for hewunch

Hans has had a busy weekend , and I already had some photos of his pen . So , I told him I could post them for him . This is an aluminum pen , with the blanks coming from Johnnycnc . It is a Rhodium/Blk.Ti Jr. Statesman II Rollerball . I had it powder coated red , then sanded and polished on the lathe . I sent it with a leather case from Lou (DCbluesman)
It was great swapping with Hans !

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 155

Russianwolf

a quick tease....... I really didn't like the way the pattern came out in the third one.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 131

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I got these two beautiful PITH pens from Dion (dtrost) - the Sierra one given to me by the New Danville people. They are both so beautiful! And its the first fountain pen JUST FOR ME! I love it so much!

I feel bad that I don't have a picture of the one I sent Dion. Sure hopes he can post one. Thank you so very much.

Attachments

• DSCN1280web.JPG
    DSCN1280web.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 165
Top Bottom