Picture taking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Odinswoodshop

Odinswoodshop

I will say because of all of you. I am trying to learn to take better pictures. If anyone has any tips or tricks I would love to hear them. but here is a little before and after of picture taking. Mind I am only using a phone.

Attachments

• 20210429_114858.jpg
    20210429_114858.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210624_193357-01.jpeg
    20210624_193357-01.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

Lots of light and if using a phone, sometimes it's better to slightly zoom and back the phone away. Helps with the focus sometimes.

Kenny Durrant

I'm no expert and I have bad days and not so bad days with pictures. I agree with Kyle with the suggestions made. To add another, which you might have already figured out, I'd keep the background plain. I like using solid colored cloth with a contrasting color.

qquake

I just use my phone with LED lights above. A light background helps.

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 112

leehljp

Member Liaison
Black and very dark backgrounds seem nice - as pictures go, but they really don't accentuate pens very well. It is hard to find where the pen edges are and end up preventing a good view of the pen. The shadows under a pen reveal excellent colors, but with dark, the shadows are just sucked out.

On lighter backgrounds, use whiter lights. I use 5000K or 6000K bulbs in my shop. 3500K (soft white) doesn't emphasize the true colors enough and leaves the photo yellowish.

I will add in another suggestion: Busy backgrounds are very very iffy. The purpose is to showcase a pen. Too many background objects draw the eye away from the pen. These types of backgrounds make for nice pictures but when they do, the pen is no long the center of focus. Busy backgrounds do on a few occasion make a good story.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I mentioned this above but will be direct on one specific comment: What is the purpose of a picture? Here on IAP, it is to showcase a pen that we make!

Too many times, the photographer seems to be more interested in making a photograph and include a pen in it. IF one wants to show off a pen, it does not need to have lots of beautiful artifacts distracting from the point of the photo. IF one's goal is a beautiful picture and the layout in the picture, then attractive artifacts will help the photograph, but no one item attracts all of the attention, and if the attention is intended to be a pen, the attraction of the eye will be elsewhere other than the pen.

I love the photographs of different natures that people occasionally post on this forum, but when it comes to pens, let the focus be the pens and leave the extra's out. Small Props and uncluttered backgrounds accentuate and focus on the pen.

qquake

I mentioned this above but will be direct on one specific comment: What is the purpose of a picture? Here on IAP, it is to showcase a pen that we make!

Too many times, the photographer seems to be more interested in making a photograph and include a pen in it. IF one wants to show off a pen, it does not need to have lots of beautiful artifacts distracting from the point of the photo. IF one's goal is a beautiful picture and the layout in the picture, then attractive artifacts will help the photograph, but no one item attracts all of the attention, and if the attention is intended to be a pen, the attraction of the eye will be elsewhere other than the pen.

I love the photographs of different natures that people occasionally post on this forum, but when it comes to pens, let the focus be the pens and leave the extra's out. Small Props and uncluttered backgrounds accentuate and focus on the pen.
I totally agree. Some like to make their photographs "artsy fartsy", but to me it's distracting. I want to see the pen and all its design details.

Top Bottom