Photo Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jashton

I am in need of help!!

I just tried my first PR casting. I used a Family photograph, But was disappointed this morning when pulling the casting from the mold. The PR bled the emoltion of the photograph rendering it useless. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the photo from being destroyed by the Chemicals in the PR. I really think the photo idea would make a great personalized pen.

Any help would be great!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Many here have done it. Print the photo onto a label and cast the label. I believe Bruce Robbins (BRobbins629)is the true pioneer of this technique on these forums.

Do a search for casting labels or label casting.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Avery 82xx labels. print onto them. stick the label onto the tube. Cast the tube in clear PR. Works great.

Sample from Stevers:
Patients%20Pen%20version%202%20700.jpg

GK

stevers

I used 8255's on that piece and all sense then. The better quality label holds up much better in solution. The PR doesn't seem to saturate the paper "as bad". It still does, just not nearly as bad. White is the toughest by far to work with. The tube will really want to show through the white paper. It becomes ness to paint or powder coat the tube.
The whole process is quite involved for what it is. The paper must be just right and adhered perfectly, the tubes must be sealed just right with the corks sealed perfectly, they need to be weighted down so they don't float up in the PR, if you cast to hot, the label glue softens too much, you have to let the finished tubes cure for a couple of days so the label glue can re-harden. And on and on. It's involved. I only cast special items this way.
Last I heard, Lee (FirefighterEMT) was working on casting tubes that were hand painted over a powder coated tube, actually, a couple of the guys were doing this. Then there is the latest trend of using wet transfer decals (model car decals) to apply images.
There is a lot of neat stuff going on right now. It's a great time to be a burgeoning pen crafter. Good luck to you and if you need any more help, please feel free to ask. You can also PM me if you need.
Oh, and thanks a lot Greg.[}:)]:D

andrewleeheck

I had the same problem with color bleed and pull-away with the 8263 labels. I am going to try the higher grade labels (825x) with a twist: I'm also going to wrap the label with a cut-to-size clear label to help prevent penetration. I'm not sure if the resin will creep under the point where the label/barrel meets the cork during submersion, but I think it's worth a shot. Will let you all know how it turns out. If anyone else decides to try this too, please share your results!

Andrew

Top Bottom