Peppermill mech instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Makes sense to me, Ed. The only question I have is how tight is the tolerance? To me it looks like you cut off just below the red mark, then flatten the end a bit more. Will this ever cut it a hair short? Or is there some slack 'in the system'?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Makes sense to me, Ed. The only question I have is how tight is the tolerance? To me it looks like you cut off just below the red mark, then flatten the end a bit more. Will this ever cut it a hair short? Or is there some slack 'in the system'?

Dean,

Good question!! Because the top threads have lots of room (.3"+), this is not a critical cut. If you make it too long, it becomes impossible to make fine ground pepper. If you make it a little short, the top doesn't thread all the way down, which doesn't matter.

When I used to try to make the wood match the shaft length, sometimes you could just barely reach the threads and the mechanism was giving you fine ground--clearly not acceptable, since the grinding adjustment is one of the main advantages of this system over some of the "knobless" mechanisms.

Try this method a couple times, before you know it, you're "knocking out" a couple a night (well, if you have already drilled the suckers).

ALL questions invited!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Fred

Ed ... Since you included pictures I believe that even the most hardheaded of us can, well, should be able to understand what you posted. I think I said that correctly! ...walks off scratching head and butt at the same time, mumbling something reasonably incoherent.

Nice job all the way around!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed ... Since you included pictures I believe that even the most hardheaded of us can, well, should be able to understand what you posted. I think I said that correctly! ...walks off scratching head and butt at the same time, mumbling something reasonably incoherent.

Nice job all the way around!

Right up there with walking and chewing gum!!!

Congratulations!!

W.Y.

Nice little tutorial Ed .
I have made lots of pepper mills and must make more because I am sold out again.
Have never tried the shaftless ones but was thinking of trying them also.

For ones with the shaft like you showed I mark off the bottom length basically the same way to do only I just scribe a mark with a sharp scratch awl instead of a felt marker. .

Your tutorial will make it easy for ones that are just getting into making pepper mills.

Ed,
If you cut the bodies to the right length you don't have to mess around with the shaft...:wink::wink::biggrin:

primary reason I use the crush grind... I don't have to worry about the pepper mill length... I can just cut the shaft down to fit.... :cool:

BTW, good tutorial......

bitshird

Ed,
If you cut the bodies to the right length you don't have to mess around with the shaft...:wink::wink::biggrin:

primary reason I use the crush grind... I don't have to worry about the pepper mill length... I can just cut the shaft down to fit.... :cool:

BTW, good tutorial......

Chuck you have to start with a piece of wood the size of a telephone pole with those crush grind mechanisms, I bought the 3 Forstner bits and 2 kits, made a mistake I thought two inch blocks of wood would work since they were sitting right there with the pepper crushers (they wont) and I do like they idea of the shaft cutting off at the top, but how do you adjust the coarseness of the pepper? I gotta try Eds and see.

Top Bottom