'Penturning Guild' FTL….

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Heh, no, Skye Maloney is my real name. Not as manly as Sue, but close. Johnny Cash, gotta love it.

Fried pickles, now youre talkin! There's a joint around the corner that has great ones. Super spicey. Dunk them in ranch dressing [^]

Doughboy

Skye, I agree with you. I would never join the Guild because I don't like jumping though hoops. Members of the Guild do turn out fine work but no better than some of the non Guild IAP members. I always thought that someone trying to get into the Guild was on an ego trip. So, I say leave them alone or if the Guild is your cup of tea, go for it....

All I have to say is - the only gripe about PTG I have is that I (again I) feel that the pen I am to submit must be superior and new. I really think I make some nice pens, but I do have never made anything NEW or DIFFERENT. But I have made some (not in my photo album) that have been pretty close to perfect (in my eyes); nice finish, every lines up and matches nicely - but again, it's nothing new. They have just been nice high quality pens - as every one of us should strive for. Do I make perfect pens on a continual basis? No. Do you? ...probably not. Do the members of the PTG? ...again, probably not.

Let's just pass the pickles and go back to our shops.

Have a GREAT day, folks!
Bill

Doughboy

Originally posted by penhead
<br />"...pass the pickles please..."

Try saying that three times real fast..
What did have to do with this post? Why take up space whis this kind of remark? If you don't like what is being talked about close the topic or say nothing...Thank you

JimGo

Originally posted by Doughboy
<br />
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Vlassic sells pickles with tambasco sauce. They real taste good.

Another one...This crap is why I don't come to this group much anymore...
And your insightful comments such as this and the one above it, along with the truly inspirational pen pictures which you have in your album, have been sorely missed.

<br />

The idea is to dirvert this thread so there is not a flame war.

Pass the pickles please!

Doughboy

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />
<br />

And your insightful comments such as this and the one above it, along with the truly inspirational pen pictures which you have in your album, have been sorely missed.
No, they will not be missed because this group is so clickish they would never be seen. Most groups like this have keep to the topic rules and for good reason. If you cannot keep to the topic don't post. A very simple and good rule....

Ron Mc

Gary,
Haven't tried that but I will!
BTW.....If I were you I would slowly back away from the left over cornbeef! I believe by now it looks like a pickle![;)]

gerryr

I didn't know I was a member of a click, [:0] just thought this was a place to talk about pens and other absurdities, like pickles.[:p]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
No, they will not be missed because this group is so clickish they would never be seen. Most groups like this have keep to the topic rules and for good reason. If you cannot keep to the topic don't post. A very simple and good rule....

Doughboy, you have obviously (in less than a month) managed to figure out that this is a clickish group that would not look at your work. So my question to you is... <b>WHY THE HECK ARE YOU HERE????????</b>
If we are the clickish group that you claim we are... why are all we all posting all the efforts we make to do a good pen and the way we do them... GEE, I would think that a truly clickish group would be secretive and only distribute their work via email or private messages..
I havae been involved in this group since 3/2004 and have found that no one hides the way they do things and are always open to new ideas and fairly critiques others works when asked..
If that is a cliqe... then I am proud to say that I am part of that clique.. on this and other sites that do the same...

Doughboy

<br />I think the trolls don't like pickles!
I am a troll now according to you. I point out a problem with this board and I am a troll...So funny. Well, my good man I am far from it. I can speak from experience about this group. If you are not in the click here you will get treated very bad sooner or later. You need to change your ways if you want IAP to last. This off topic crap because you don't like what is being said is not good policy. Keep it up and IAP has no future...

smoky10

Skye, if you ask a question on this forum a guild member may be the first to answer it. There are several guild members that are very active on this forum and several have helped me and a lot of other pen turners.
Gary, when you're up this way sometime we might go to Jennys Diner for some "frickled pickles and a "sweetdaddy burger".[;)]

Doughboy

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />

Doughboy, you have obviously (in less than a month) managed to figure out that this is a clickish group that would not look at your work. So my question to you is... <b>WHY THE HECK ARE YOU HERE????????</b>

I am here because this group taught me how to make some very nice pens. Turners here in my local area said that they never have seen anyone get to the level of penmaking that I am at so fast. I have seen members here raked of the coals by members of the click. Take my word for it there is a click here. I am surprized you are down here in the dirt with the click. You don't do that much. I do enjoy looking at you work and reading your posts....
If we are the clickish group that you claim we are... why are all we all posting all the efforts we make to do a good pen and the way we do them... GEE, I would think that a truly clickish group would be secretive and only distribute their work via email or private messages..
I havae been involved in this group since 3/2004 and have found that no one hides the way they do things and are always open to new ideas and fairly critiques others works when asked..
If that is a cliqe... then I am proud to say that I am part of that clique.. on this and other sites that do the same...

Doughboy

<br />

Tom, I am here because this group has taught me how to make some very nice pens. The local penturners said that they have never seen anyone get to the level that I am so fast. I have been reading here for over a year. I am surprized that you have came down here in the dirt as you don't do that much. I enjoy looking at your work and reading your posts...

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
If you are going to use big words, the least you can do is spell them correctly.

It is "clique" [}:)][}:)]
Definition:
"a group of people who have a like interest"

So what is wrong with that? It seems to me that is exactly what this IAP site is all about, a gethering of people with a "like interest".

Ron, pass the pickles, please.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I am "down here in the dirt" as you call it because I am proud to be a member of a group that freely shares it's ideas... as for people getting dragged over the coals that happens in all groups.. I have been dragged over the coals a few times myself... but I manage to clean myself off and get back to what I think I do well... turn pens and help other turners... not bash the group in general...

Doughboy

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />If you are going to use big words, the least you can do is spell them correctly.

Definition:

So what is wrong with that? It seems to me that is exactly what this IAP site is all about, a gethering of people with a "like interest".

Too "clickish " (meaning they only hang with
people from their group, No space for outsiders. IAP has a group within a group...

Doughboy

<br />I am "down here in the dirt" as you call it because I am proud to be a member of a group that freely shares it's ideas... as for people getting dragged over the coals that happens in all groups.. I have been dragged over the coals a few times myself... but I manage to clean myself off and get back to what I think I do well... turn pens and help other turners... not bash the group in general...

Yes, all groups do have this problem to a degree but as far as penturner groups go IAP has the most problems and it all stems from the click and the off topic posting. IAP could stop a lot of their problems with a rule that does not allow off topic posting such as what got me on my soapbox...

Ron Mc

I feel that this is the perfect opportunity to introduce my newest pen. I believe it is a first[:D] Next time I think I need to paint the tubes.[:(]
Gold Cigar with wood type of sweet pickle.
MVC-1223S.JPG

MVC-123S.JPG

As always comments and concerns welcome!

Under no circumstances are the above or any of the pictures that I upload to any forum to be copied and re published in anyway without my consent.

gerryr

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can come on a site and see something they don't like, but rather than just ignore it, they have to start bashing people about it and demanding that it fit their mold. If you don't like this site, try another one. I think you can find one where you can get at least one person to support you in bashing this site.

AirportFF

<br />
Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />If you are going to use big words, the least you can do is spell them correctly.

Definition:

Too "clickish " (meaning they only hang with
people from their group, No space for outsiders. IAP has a group within a group...

I've read this post with great interest. On one hand is Skye, saying that the PMG is to exclusive. That's his opinion and I have to respect that. I'm not a member and probably won't bother with it. That's MY choice to make.
On the other hand is Doughboy, basically saying the same thing about this group. And upset because people were trying to change the topic to something less argumentative. But he managed to change the topic to another argument about changing the topic.....confused yet.
I moderate on a motorcycle site. (www.shadowriders.net) and if you want to see threads get hijacked, go there. But go with a VERY thick skin. That's the very nature of an OPEN forum. Questions get asked, answered, and then the topic may change. That's the way this whole internet thing goes.
I find no indication of a clique here. Every question has been answered and the group for the most part is very knowledgable.

smoky10

jim, "frickled pickles" is just fried pickles and a sweetdaddy burger is three 3/4lb. patties and all the fixins. Gary knows where my blanks are, and he's contributed to my stash.

Ron did you submit the pickle pen to the guild?[:D][}:)]

JimGo

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />jim, "frickled pickles" is just fried pickles and a sweetdaddy burger is three 3/4lb. patties and all the fixins. Gary knows where my blanks are, and he's contributed to my stash.

Ron did you submit the pickle pen to the guild?[:D][}:)]

WOW, that's a heck of a burger! Sounds right up my alley.

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but if you ever get over to Famous Dave's Barbecue restaurant (chain that is rapidly spreading in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region), try the Ultimate Burger (may or may not be on the menu, but the waiters will know what it is) - barbecue pulled pork on a burger. One of the best hamburgers I've had in a LONG time! (also heart attack on a plate, so for those with heart conditions, beware!)

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />I feel that this is the perfect opportunity to introduce my newest pen. I believe it is a first[:D] Next time I think I need to paint the tubes.[:(]
Gold Cigar with wood type of sweet pickle.
As always comments and concerns welcome!

I think your pickle is a little proud of it's bushings Ron.

May West once said to WC Fields. "Is that a pickle in your pocket or are you glad to see me?"

This post gives that line a whole new meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom