Pennsylvania visit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I will be arriving in Philidelphia Sat afternoon (4 pm) headed to Paradise, PA. I'll be there all week but will have Sat evening and all day Sunday free. What should I do? Any suggestions? I'm open to any? Anyone want to make a pen? Sight seeing suggestions. I know the area is rich in history and this will be my first visit to that area.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

I've been wanting to go to Paradise for a long time. And while I'm there, I would like to find Easy Street!:biggrin::)

USAFVET98

But blue balls, not so much. I will be in phily on sat for my graduation at the temple university liacouras center. I here the Masonic temple is a site to see..

its_virgil

Congrats on your graduation. I'll pass on the masonic temple. I guess no one wants to play woodturning or pens. I may just drive up to see Darrell in NS. How far is it Darrell? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I will be in phily on sat for my graduation at the temple university liacouras center. I here the Masonic temple is a site to see..

ericw95

Having grown up there and if you have never visited - I would recommend the Independence Hall tour, visiting the Liberty Bell, visiting the Norman Rockwell Museum (right by Indy Hall). If you visit the waterfront either walking to it after doing the above or drive, there is a Dave and Busters or Chart House for a meal as well as a historical ship and sub you can tour.

Of course Penn State Ind is about 20 minutes north of downtown.

scotian12

Don....Paradise is just a hollywood myth. Tom Sellick who stars in the Jessie Stone series plays a sheriff in Paradise, Maine. (which does not exist) However, all the production takes place in Halifax, NS and the marine scenes just outside the City in Blue Rocks. Tom says he loves the area and enjoys working with the local crews. Especially enjoys those lobster suppers. So come on down Don, were just over the hill and down the road from where you are now and I've got the lobster pot boiling. Darrell

ericw95

If you are a baseball fan, the Phillie are playing the Cubs, Wilmington, DE has the Royals farm team the Blue Rocks, and there is a team in Camden, NJ. Also the Phillies have farm teams in Reading and Wilkes Barre. The Nationals MAY still have a team in Harrisburg.

JerrySambrook

About 4.5-5.5 hours north

Don,
If you want to comke up, I can treat you to that lobster dinner.
And I am fairly certain I can get wolftat to join us as well.

Jerry

Geppetto

Some local information

FYI, there's a Woodcraft store in Downingtown http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=537 in case you need something.

And there's a great Smörgåsbord restaurant called Shady Maple http://shady-maple.com/ in East Earl. They have great comfort food at reasonable prices. It's well run by Amish so you know you'll get good quality and the place is very clean. Ask the locals, they'll know the place. They have different things on the menu on different nights so call and find out when they have what you want. I recommend the roast beef night. They also have "Artist Events" there. You might check into possibly doing a show or something.

Timbo

Hey, if you decide not to do any of that other great stuff, I'll be free on Sunday after 2:00 pm if you want to turn a pen or 2. I'm pretty sure you wont learn anything from me, I'm equally sure I can learn a thing or two from you. PM me if interested.

Moosewatcher

Actually Don, your closer to Pittsburg than Philly. The Grizzly showroom is about 100 miles away in Muncy. Harrisburg has a great civil War museum (even though the Civil War never touched them). The Lackawana coal mine in Scranton is a great tour. And I think there is a lumber museum with mansion tours in Milton.

its_virgil

According to my map Philly is 60 miles away and Pittsburg is 230? I will be close to Lancaster. Since I've never been to Pennsylvania I think I should spend what free time I have taking in the rich history of the US in the area where I will be. I'm still looking at options. Baseball is out...I see the Rangers here in my area of Texas along with the Mavs....go mavs! Stay tuned for updates. Thaqnks for all of the excellent suggestions.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Actually Don, your closer to Pittsburg than Philly. The Grizzly showroom is about 100 miles away in Muncy. Harrisburg has a great civil War museum (even though the Civil War never touched them). The Lackawana coal mine in Scranton is a great tour. And I think there is a lumber museum with mansion tours in Milton.

randyrls

Don; If you are in Philly, You definitely want to go to Geno's or Pat's for some Philly cheese steaks. Bad neighborhood, but great cheese steaks! The Woodturning Center in south Philly is well worth the visit.
http://www.woodturningcenter.org If you get there, be sure to talk to Albert. He is a heck of a nice guy!!!

If you want to visit here, I am about 2 hours from Philly and about 1 hour from Lancaster.

The Gettysburg battle field is a good deal if History is your interest.

Last edited:

Moosewatcher

Your right. Google gave me a place called Paradise Rd in PA. Damn computers.

[According to my map Philly is 60 miles away and Pittsburg is 230? I will be close to Lancaster. Since I've never been to Pennsylvania I think I should spend what free time I have taking in the rich history of the US in the area where I will be. I'm still looking at options. Baseball is out...I see the Rangers here in my area of Texas along with the Mavs....go mavs! Stay tuned for updates. Thaqnks for all of the excellent suggestions.
Do a good turn daily!
Don]

its_virgil

Well, I've decided to take advantage of the rich history here in this area of PA and spend the day (sunday) taking in some of these wonderful historical places. Thanks for all of the suggestions and next time I'm up this way some visits with IAP members will be on the list.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom