Penn State Industries Pen Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

Rather than keep adding to the previous related post, I thought I would make this new one as it is a bit more involved. While I really like the press for assembly, IMHO, I think it is only just OK for disassembly. However, I think it could be much better for disassembly with a minor addition. The one thing I would like to see improved is that when you convert it to disassembly, you are left with a "V" shaped top and bottom in the clamping area that you insert the barrel of the pen into (I hope I am explaining it OK). This creates pressure points when you clamp it down on the pen prior to pushing out a pen component. They do supply latex tubing to insert the pen into for better grip and a little cushion I guess. I usually only apply minimal clamping pressure and then push the lever and see if the pen moves or the component is removed. I then tighten it up a bit if the pen moves without component removal and repeat as necessary so I can avoid cracking the blank with the pressure points.

If one had a couple of plastic inserts that had on one side, a "V" shape and on the other side a half circular shape, then when you clamp down the press on the pen, it would distribute the pressure on the pen much more evenly than the above mentioned pressure points. Additionally, one could line the half circular side with a bit of the same latex tubing, or a rubber pad, etc. for better gripping. I could imagine ideally a couple or 3 sets of plastic inserts, for small, medium, and large pen diameters. Of course given the different pen profiles that people turn, there are many potential pen diameters, but I think 2-3 different diameter inserts would work much better than the above mentioned pressure points.

Unfortunately I don't own a 3-D printer, but I think this would be an ideal application for it. Does anyone else think this would be a good addition / modification for the pen press? If someone is willing to make these, I'd be willing to pay for a set. If someone has found another solution to the pressure points, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well. Thanks, David

jcimm2000

Rather than keep adding to the previous related post, I thought I would make this new one as it is a bit more involved. While I really like the press for assembly, IMHO, I think it is only just OK for disassembly. However, I think it could be much better for disassembly with a minor addition. The one thing I would like to see improved is that when you convert it to disassembly, you are left with a "V" shaped top and bottom in the clamping area that you insert the barrel of the pen into (I hope I am explaining it OK). This creates pressure points when you clamp it down on the pen prior to pushing out a pen component. They do supply latex tubing to insert the pen into for better grip and a little cushion I guess. I usually only apply minimal clamping pressure and then push the lever and see if the pen moves or the component is removed. I then tighten it up a bit if the pen moves without component removal and repeat as necessary so I can avoid cracking the blank with the pressure points.

If one had a couple of plastic inserts that had on one side, a "V" shape and on the other side a half circular shape, then when you clamp down the press on the pen, it would distribute the pressure on the pen much more evenly than the above mentioned pressure points. Additionally, one could line the half circular side with a bit of the same latex tubing, or a rubber pad, etc. for better gripping. I could imagine ideally a couple or 3 sets of plastic inserts, for small, medium, and large pen diameters. Of course given the different pen profiles that people turn, there are many potential pen diameters, but I think 2-3 different diameter inserts would work much better than the above mentioned pressure points.

Unfortunately I don't own a 3-D printer, but I think this would be an ideal application for it. Does anyone else think this would be a good addition / modification for the pen press? If someone is willing to make these, I'd be willing to pay for a set. If someone has found another solution to the pressure points, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well. Thanks, David
That might work. Of course, if you want to design it, I'll print it.

Mr Vic

Grab a piece of square UHMW plastic, drill a hole the appropriate diameter then cut in half corner to corner. . . VoilĂ !
Make them the size you need.

Top Bottom