Penmaker's Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Everybody!

I just got an E-Mail from Becca saying she would like to run the Penmaker's Challenge Contest! She should be joining us here soon, so lets start discussing what we all want this Challenge to look like!

Thanks!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Hi guys, glad to be a part of the planning commission, LOL! Scott thru out some suggestions for this challenge and I think some of them are good ones. I feel there should be two categories, one for "experts" and one "beginning" turners. I don't want these challenges to be easy, I want the participants to be "challenged". If any of you have suggestions for these contest, I am all ears.

fiferb

Define beginner and expert? Not trying to be a stick in the mud here but that could be hard to define. Just saying more or less than 100 pens doesn't necessarily define expertise. I've seen some "first" pens that were segmented very well and much more complicated than anything I've ever tried. Any thoughts?

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Well, how about those of us who have made 10 or less pens get to try one contest, and the rest of you get the other one! :) That way I actually have a chance! :D

My thinking is that there's never going to be a good 'number' that defines expert or not...the only way that I can see it happening is if you let the penmaker's conscience guide him/her.

wudnhed

OK, how about newbie, oldie - unseasoned, seasoned - rookie - greenhorn or what have you, LOL!!!! There has to be a way to draw a line. On this forum, I am considered some sort of "expert" because I have turned well over 100 pens but my collection only consists of slimlines, streamlines, sierras, barons and bottle stoppers. Altho I am considered an "expert" my segmenting sucks :(. Some things just come easier to some and others have to work harder at it, I think thats what makes it a contest. It's all supposed to be in fun and learning. While I know we have to set things up and think things out, I know sometimes I can over think them. Am I wrong or what say you?

Scott

How about no definition. People will participate in a "challenge" if they are interested, and if they have what it takes to do so, meaning the kits, woods etc. We don't need to define for them whether they meet anybody's criteria of expert or beginner. But I do think we should have challenges that are more likely to attract those who have not been at this as long, as well as at least one real bugger of a challenge for those who have been around. Let them define for us what group they are in, and we might be surprised at the results!

Scott.

wudnhed

Cool, I think that makes my job easier! I'm going to thro out my 4 challenges and you guys can tell me what you think.

1. A segmented Slimline with straight angles to make designs out of any material. Must have shape, no B2Bs.

2. A modified Slimline made from wood. Any modification you choose.

3. Make a pen, any pen, from wood with cracks and voids. Fill with alternate materials not wood.

4. Make a pen from any material with a stand made from the same material. Pen and stand can be any shape but must be from the same material.

These aren't worded correctly but you get the idea. Too easy? Any suggestions? I'm all ears people

:D

fiferb

Becca, I'm not sure I understand #1. Straight angles when finished or before starting? I ask because a celtic knot starts out straight angled segments but after turning it round there are no straight angles to it. Maybe you should just say that the requirement is to use segments and let them define straight or curved or whether their design fits better in #2.

wudnhed

How about this:

1. Segmented Slimline, any material and any segmnet, no b2bs.

2. Modified Slimline of wood, i.e. closed end, replacement of metal parts with wood and so on.

Better?

byounghusband

I think we need to challenge Ron McIntire to turn a Slim Line with a Skew!!!![}:)][}:)];)

How about a combination of materials in a pen. Must have three different material used in the pen body. Any style, any kit, just 3 materials.....

wudnhed

OK Guys this is what I have in mind. The first 2 challenges are for slimlines. My thinking is that all or most penners start out with slims and still have kits around so the newbies have a chance to enter as well. The next 2 are more open to choice so the newbies can still enter and the more seasoned can use whatever kit they choose. If you think my guidelines are too loose or the challenges aren't challenging enough please chime in.

1st. week - Our first Penmaker's Challenge is a segmented Slimline. Use any segmenting you desire and any materials you want. The pen must have shape, no B2Bs please.

Please send your entries to blankityblank.org along with your name and IAP screen name. Good luck and Happy Turning!

2nd week - This week our challenge will be for you to make a modified Slimline from wood and or stabilized wood. Modify this pen any way you choose as long as its from wood. You can use the metal components from the kit or leave them out of your modification, your choice. Please send your entries to soonandsoforth.org

3rd. week - This week you can use any kit style you wish. I want you to make a pen from wood with cracks and voids. I want you to be imaginative and fill the cracks, voids with any material you choose but it CAN NOT be wood. Please send your entries to blahblahblah.org and happy turning.

4th week - Make a pen from any kit you wish but the catch is, you have to make a pen stand from matching materials. For example, if you make a pen from one, two or three different materials, thos same material MUST be present in the stand. As always, please send your entries to the bestplaceforpenlearningonthenet.org along with name IAP screen name and so on.

Too general guys or what do you think?

wudnhed

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

Have you decided how to award the prizes?

Is it the first one to complete the challenge, and post it? Or is it a random draw from all the persons who correctly complete the challenge in a given time limit (say 1 or 2 hours?)

I would say since the challenge is a week long the winner would be randomly picked or voted on by judges at the end of the week maybe???

Scott

Becca,

If we have enough prizes it would be nice to do two prizes per week, one for the best one, and one prize for a random drawing of all entries. You will need to arrange for judges. I would suggest you keep the judges confidential, and state that their decision is final. Pick anybody you want for the judge/judges, someone you could show the pictures to and get a quick decision.

Do you want to have them enter by E-Mail, or by posting on the forum? Each way has it's pluses and minuses.

For the second week, does it need to be ALL wood? Or will you accept one that is mostly wood with some other substance? How about stabilized blanks? How about wood/resin composits, such as the worthless wood? It might be easier to say "all wood, no resin allowed other than for a finish. But you cut out a lot of beautiful stabilized blanks that way. I'm not suggesting one way or the other, but you should have an exact specification because people will question you otherwise.

For week four, you could say "material or materials". That way more than one material could be used, but they would all have to be present in both the pen and the stand.

Scott.

DocStram

I think it's a good idea for the members to decide their level of expertise. It'll be an "honor code" kind of thing.

But, I do have another question. Is there a time frame for when the pen has (or had) to be made? What I'm getting at is this ... what if somebody enters a pen that they've had pictures of in their photo album... or a pen they made BEFORE the contest started?

Just wondering about the questions we'll run into. :)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I would say that it only qualifies for the contest if it's made after the challenge has been posted. And thus, it cannot have been photographed or posted online on this (or any) forum before...So starting from scratch from pen blank to drilling to glue up to turning to assembling...

That would be my thinking, anyway. Otherwise, it's a show-and-tell instead of a challenge.

Andrew

Scott

Hi Becca,

I think that looks great!

Having run a modified slimline contest before, you will have people who will challenge the concept of slimline, and will push you for clarification. I think that the minimum required to qualify as a slimline would be that it must use a Cross style "slimline" refill. When I ran my contest I specified it must use the refill and transmission, and must extend and retract like a slimline. Decide what you want to specify ahead of time, and it will be easier.

BTW, remember that my suggestions are just ideas, and by no means do you need to pay them any mind! This is your contest - do it your way!

As for Al's question, I think this should all be new work. Made after the challenge is issued. There is nothing we can do to police this aspect of it, but we shouldn't need to if it is stated right up front.

Scott.

wudnhed

Scott, You had a question about how I wanted to post this contest. I'm not computer savvy AT ALL, I'm barely pen savvy, LOL. What would be the easiest way for me to post, run contest?

Scott

Hi Becca,

That comment was just about how a person submits their entry for your contests. Do you envision them E-Mailing the pictures to you, or posting the pictures as a reply in the forum? If they E-Mail them to you, then they won't be visible until the end of the contest when you announce the winners. This would keep some people from getting intimidated and not entering. If they post the entries on the forum, everybody could see them during the contest. This could encourage some people to greater heights with their entry! Both ways have their good and bad points.

For the Ugly Pen Contest I have them post their entries on the forum for all to see. But then that's not a serious contest, and they're not trying to make better pens! To paraphrase, Ugly is in the eye of the beholder! The real fun of the UPC is the running comments on the forum as people post their entries, not who wins.

One thing to think about is if they E-Mail the entries to you, then you'd have to post the pictures when you announce the winners! That's really not bad. I would save the pictures to my computer, make sure they are all sized about the same, then just add them to your post about the winners.

What does everybody think? E-Mail or post on the forum?

Scott.

fiferb

I think the ugly pen contest needs to be posted on the forum. I enjoyed seeing it last year and the comments. It also encourages others to participate. However, I did give up early last year because I knew I couldn't rise (lower?) myself to the level achieved by most.:D

DocStram

I agree that this is not for pens made prior to the Bash. I think it's important that we make it very clear that these are pens made AFTER the contest has been announced.

Top Bottom