Penmaker's Challenge - Week 3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

This week's challenge is going to be fun. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Here we go!

The challenge is for you to turn a pen with cracks and or voids. Fill those cracks and voids with a substance OTHER than wood. You can use any substance you wish to fill these cracks and voids. Your allowed to use any pen kit with any plating, your emphasis should be on the wood and whatever you use to fill the cracks and voids.

1. All pens MUST be made specifically for each contest. What you do with the pen after is your business.

2. All pens entered must be made to the specification of each contest.

3. All pens must be entered in the alloted time.

Please send your entry along with your name and IAP name to;

2008BashChallenge@penturners.org

This contest will end Tues. Jan. 22st at noon PDT.

Contestants will be judged anonymously and there will be a 1st and 2nd prize for each contest. Winners and pictures will be posted at the end of each contest along with the rest of the entrants. Thanks everyone, now go have some fun and get those pens going!!!!!

THIS CONTEST IS CLOSED

All these contestants should be congratulated. These are some beautiful pens and I can see it took some time to make them. Winners, please contact me with your mailing info. Congratulations everyone!!!!

NCWoodworker
1st Place - 2 sets of lathe tools - penturners set and miniature KMS set.

"This is a piece of sycamore that is spalted, curly, wormy and decayed. While sycamore is typically very light in color, this sample is full of color. To fill the voids, I took a piece of amethyst, put it in a cloth bag and broke it into pieces with a 3 pound hammer. I colored the tube to prevent the brass from reflecting in the purple gem. I used CA glue to hold the amethyst in the voids and turned it on the lathe".
200812313630_Amethyst%20Jr%20Statesman%20Display.jpg

JayDevin
2nd Place - $25 Gift certificate from Craft Supplies USA

"Manzanita Root Burl, its voids filled with Alumilite colored with Pearlex Powders".
Baron 10K Pen
200812314148_flynfox.jpg

Slinter99
Honorable Mention - Box of Blanks

"Briar Burls cut offs, and chunks with large voids, I put some of them in a mold and filled it with a burgundy colored polyresin, after the cast had cured I re-cut them into blanks. I added a segment of black dyed maple veneer and the leftover resin from the sides of the mold to each of the barrels. When I started to turn them another large void opened up so I filled that and all the other small voids with some coffee grounds".
200812314718_briarbaron1.jpg

Draken
"This is a Black Chrome Cigar in reclaimed Oak from the Rappahannock River Crib dam. The wood has been under water for over 150 years. As it dried out after being removed from the river in 2004, parts of it split and cracked, this is one of those pieces. It has been filled with Antique Gold colored Polyester Resin, for an elegant yet understated look. The darker stripe up the center of the pen in photo contest3.jpg is the PR, with additional PR in voids at both ends of the pen. The finish is Lacquer".
200812315353_contest3.jpg

Curtis O. Seebeck
"It is "Worthless Wood" mesquite with turquoise Alumilite resin with silver metal powder".
200812315610_MesquiteWW1.jpg

MLKWoodworking (Mrs.)
"Red River Gum Burl with Brown Ebony segments on the ends.
Segments were used as the inclusions were all the way into the edge of the blank as well as all the way to the tube.
Sleeping Beauty Turquoise fine powder was used to fill the voids".
20081232027_image002.jpg

Sparhawk
"This is a piece of cedar that the knothole fell out of. Filled with two blues of powdered glitter,pearl ex, and epoxy".
20081232222_carb2.jpg

Jon Piper
"DI Burl blank that blew out while turning. It is filled with crushed turquoise and CA glue, layer after layer after layer".
20081232520_di%20repair%202.jpg

alamocdc
Churchill with Buckeye Burl and I believe crushed stone. Input Billy?
20081232813_churchillUGrb_worthless_buckeyeburl-1.jpg

pssherman
"The wood is mesquite and contains heartwood, sapwood and bark in a single blank. The voids in the bark was filled with glitter and CA".
200812321124_view1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Originally posted by Jarheaded

I don't have any bad blanks. How do I make one?

If your serious, turn your blank to almost size. Take a knife, razor or what have you and safely cut, gouge out some of the wood. Fill it with whatever you want, just not wood. Turn to size and finish. This may not be right but it's what I would do.

IPD_Mrs

So . . . do you judges want to know any information about the pen? Ie: wood, fill, kit used, if there are any firsts about the pen... etc.

[:X] & the Mr.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Originally posted by Jarheaded

I don't have any bad blanks. How do I make one?

Give it to Ed or Cav. . .
200811903948_question.gif

LOL :D

Some other ways to make a 'bad' blank (for real, I've done all of these, honest!):

• Smash the bejeezus out of it with a hammer
  • Take a wood chisel on the long sides of it and split it in multiple directions
  • Put one end in a vise, grab the other end with a pipe wrench and splinter-crack it by twisting. You might have to put a little 'man' in it, and make sure your vise is attached to the bench really well. Make sure the wood is fibrous, like ironwood, or mahogany type stuff - burly wood won't work too well for this
  • Stick it in the microwave, pretending like you're trying to dry it without knowing what you're doing, and cook it on high until the smoke starts billowing out (been there, done this, only I really was trying to dry it, and really didn't[/] know what I was doing). You may have to buy the wife a new microwave, but it's a good way to get a shop nuker/superkiln!
    [*]Hire some really hard-working worms
    [*]Use a dremel or creative drilling for some DIY wormholes. I'd recommend this, those worm contractors are pretty flaky. [:p]

wudnhed

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

So . . . do you judges want to know any information about the pen? Ie: wood, fill, kit used, if there are any firsts about the pen... etc.

[:X] & the Mr.

Sure describe what you have done and what you have filled the voids with.

wudnhed

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, my internet was down yesterday afternoon.

Some people send 1 picture, some send 2 or 3 which is plenty.

NCWoodworker

Wow! ...uh... Wow! I'm so excited and honored!!! Thank you so much! The other pens are awesome! I love these contests because it pushes us to do something unique and that you probably wouldn't normally try (due to time). I have had that blank for about a year now and got it from an IAP member (Jeff from NC). I was saving it for when I got 'inspired' :) This was my first alternate media fill pen...what is the right name anyhow?

I think I'll celebrate with a donation to the IAP...I hear you get a digital picture of Ed holding a mug for a small donation of $50! :)

Cheers!
Chris

jhs494

Those are all awesome looking pens! I sure am glad I am not the judge, that would have been tough.
Beautiful work!
Congrats to the winners and great job to all that entered!:)

Top Bottom