Pen Styles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

When I started making pens I basically used slimline, euro and cigar kits. They all had wood down to the nib. Now I see pen kits with metal tips going down to the nib. Why the change? Or maybe I've been asleep and it's been done for some time. What are the advantages of the metal end, seems like it would be slippery to the hand.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You joined IAP in 2008. The three kits you mentioned are still around and popular. But, many many kit designs have been added since then. If you have not been active in penturning then these new designs have slipped up on you. What are the advantages of these designs? More choices I suppose. I think you are asking about the sierra and its many clones and similar designs. Personally, I like using some but not all os these styles.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

leehljp

Member Liaison
Why the changes? Different design, different esthetics, different appeal to different mindset, and more sales to a broader base of pen turners. 🙂

As Don mentioned, you have been around since 2008. The Sierra has been around and popular before 2008, but you just did not notice.

The pen below was originally made in late 2007, but with the upgrade to this forum it shows as 2008.

Last edited:

penicillin

I have observed that some pens require caps, such as rollerball pens. Those kits usually have long metal tips, which I assume is necessary for a good fit with the cap to discourage leaks. (Disclaimer: I have not made a rollerball pen myself.)

qquake

When I started making pens I basically used slimline, euro and cigar kits. They all had wood down to the nib. Now I see pen kits with metal tips going down to the nib. Why the change? Or maybe I've been asleep and it's been done for some time. What are the advantages of the metal end, seems like it would be slippery to the hand.
I'm confused. What do you mean by "wood down to the nib"? I started turning pens in 1999. My first was a slimline, and it had a metal nib. When I turned my first cigar pen in 1999, it also had a metal nib. Then you say "kits with metal tips going down to the nib". I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying.

The attached photos are of an oosik cigar pen I made in 2004. You can see it has a metal nib.

Attachments

• cigaroosik.jpg
    cigaroosik.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 75

leehljp

Member Liaison
The cigar has wood down to the nib. This one does not, it has metal down to the nib: https://www.exoticblanks.com/emperor-pen-kits/ This has metal between the wood and the nib.
That pen was around before you got started. You just did not notice it, or others like it that was also available. And that is also a feature of capped pens, both roller ball and fountain pens.

Or maybe I've been asleep and it's been done for some time.
Probably ↑. Today, there are so many pen component designs that I just can't keep up with them.

Top Bottom