Pen Maker's Challenge-Week 1- Results Posted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I think it's something like hunks of wood or other materials, which may or may not be of different types and/or colors, glued together in a manner that either does or does not suggest a pattern; repeating, random or otherwise.

:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Gerry,

That's actually pretty accurate.

Merriam-Webster's definition of a segment is:

1 a. a portion cut off from a geometric figure by one or more points, lines, or planes: as a: the area of a circle bounded by a chord and an arc of that circle b: the part of a sphere cut off by a plane or included between two parallel planes c: the finite part of a line between two points in the line
2 a: a separate piece of something : bit fragment <chop the stalks into short segments> ...

Given that definition, a segment is simply a geometric part of an object.
Segmentation, for our purposes, is the technique of combining segments to produce a pen blank.
Note that segmentation does NOT require production of a pen per se.
A pen blank maker may produce a segmented pen blank for sale as their final product.
A segmented pen uses a blank containing segmentation.

Glad I did my pen before I thought about the lexicon.
;):D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by gerryr

I think it's something like hunks of wood or other materials, which may or may not be of different types and/or colors, glued together in a manner that either does or does not suggest a pattern; repeating, random or otherwise.

:D

I THINK this is good.

BUT, it means laminations ARE segmentations - is that OK??

And, I believe, it means segmentations ARE laminations - Is there a difference between the two???

<s>
Troublemakers</s> Inquiring minds want to know!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I suggest we change the contest to best mash-up, wherein a mash-up is defined as one piece of stuff mashed against any number of additional pieces of stuff such that the combined pieces, in part of in whole, can be used to make a pen. I also suggest that the judges not be allowed to view this thread. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Scary precision, eh Lou??????

We're on the road to discovering there is NO difference between a lamination and a segmentation. IF I'd have said that to begin with, think of the furor that would have developed.[:0][:0][:0]

ericw95

Originally posted by wudnhed

OH you guys have gotten me so confused I think we should just start all over with a whole new batch of pens..............NOT!!!!!!!!

Contest ends in about 4 minutes, no entries after 12:00 noon :(

Since the contest is over for this week, what is the next contest? PLEASE start a new thread so we can start another 6 page terminology debate :D and it won't be lost in this original thread.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Might be a good idea to start a new thread to post the pics from the segmentation-lamination-glue-up mash-up, too!!

I really AM looking forward to seeing them.[:p][:p][:p][:p]

Rmartin

btw...I like your questioning, Ed...frustrating as it may be to split hairs, it can be fun to really think through....

So, if we glue-up the split hairs, stay with me here, and then Dawn were to cast glued-up said hairs, would this be considered a segmented pen?

Really enjoyed reading this thread...LOL!

Rmartin

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

I think the concept of segmenting differs from laminating only in that segmenting must incorporate two or more different kinds of wood. If you just have one type of wood, it has to be considered laminating...

Segments are, by definition, repeating patterns...so if you have a segmented blank, you have a blank with patterns of differing woods....

At least, that's how I'd define it.

Could it not be the same type of wood at a different angle which would create the segmented look?
[:X]

NCWoodworker

Awesome!!! I am very honored to just be able to enter the contest with this pool of talent! Thank you very much and I am exceptionally thankful for Ernie at Beartoothwoods.com ...he is great to work with! (Suddenly, I feel like a NASCAR driver mentioning his sponsors :) ) Seriously, though, thank you very much!

Chris Mathes

Tea Clipper

[:0] I am shocked to see my name as honorable mention, thank you! The slimline I used for this contest was a prize I won from last years Birthday Bash! How lucky is that? :D Thank you Becca for your hard work in running this contest and congratulations to our first and second place winners Chris and Dean!

badger

That was a fun challenge, I'm looking forward to the next one. I've never done a segemented ANY thing before, so it was great fun to try my hand at it for this one. It's got me thinking of all kinds of new things to try.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow, there was some really wonderful pens there, please could we see some bigger pics? And well done to Chris, that looks fantastic:D

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow.. Thanks to all - I'm honored to have taken 2nd place. As for bigger pictures, I'll post in show us your pens. I really hope Chris does as well.. That way we can share a bit more about the pens.

alamocdc

Okay, time for another monkey wrench. [}:)] The following is what most WW's I know use for lamination.

lam·i·na·tion Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lam-uh-ney-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
â€"noun
1. act or process of laminating; the state of being laminated.
2. laminated structure; arrangement in thin layers.
3. a lamina.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
[Origin: 1670â€"80; laminate + -ion]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Notice the above word in blue.;)

alamocdc

Define "Thin"?

Your wish is my command. [}:)];)

thin Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thin] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, thin·ner, thin·nest, adverb, verb, thinned, thin·ning.
â€"adjective
1. having relatively little extent from one surface or side to the opposite; not thick: thin ice.
2. of small cross section in comparison with the length; slender: a thin wire.
3. having little flesh; spare; lean: a thin man.
4. composed of or containing objects, particles, etc., widely separated; sparse: thin vegetation.
5. scant; not abundant or plentiful.
6. of relatively slight consistency or viscosity: thin soup.
7. rarefied, as air.
8. without solidity or substance; flimsy: a very thin plot for such a long book.
9. lacking fullness or volume; weak and shrill: a thin voice.
10. without force or a sincere effort: a thin smile.
11. lacking body, richness, or strength: a thin wine.
12. lacking in chroma; of light tint.
13. Photography. (of a developed negative) lacking in density or contrast through underdevelopment or underexposure.
â€"adverb 14. in a thin manner.
15. sparsely; not densely.
16. so as to produce something thin: Slice the ham thin.
â€"verb (used with object) 17. to make thin or thinner (often fol. by down, out, etc.).
â€"verb (used without object) 18. to become thin or thinner; become reduced or diminished (often fol. by down, out, off, etc.): The crowd is thinning out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; (adj. and adv.) ME thyn(ne), OE thynne; c. D dun, G dünn, ON thunnr; (v.) ME thynnen, OE thynnian, deriv. of the adj.; cf. MD dunnen, ON thynna; akin to OIr tana, L tenuis thin, Gk tany- long]

I believe numbers 1 and 2 above hold best to what we seek concerning penturning.

Top Bottom