Pen Maker's Challenge-Week 1- Results Posted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year. Welcome to the 4th Annual Birthday Bash for IAP. We've got alot of fun scheduled for this month so lets get started.
I'm running the Pen Maker's Challenge contest. There will be four challenges this month, one each week. All entries will be judged anonymously and there will be a 1st and 2nd prize awarded for each contest. Winners and pictures of all entries will be posted at the end of each week. Here are some basic rules:

1. All pens MUST be made new, specifically for each contest. What you do with the pen after, is your business [8D].

2. All pens entered must be made to the specifications of each contest.

3. All pens must be entered in the alloted time.

Our 1st contest this week is a SEGMENTED SLIMLINE. Use any segmenting, materials and plating you wish. ALL the parts from the Slimline kit MUST be used. Pens should also have some shape please, no B2Bs. This contest will run from 12:00 noon Jan. 1st. to 12:00 noon Jan. 8th PST. You can send your entries along with your name and IAP name to:

2008BashChallenge@penturners.org

1st place winner will receive a $50.00 gift certificate from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods, way to go Ernie!!!!! 2nd place winner will receive a $25.00 gift certificate from Craft Supplies USA, yippee!!!! Now go get those pens started and lets have some fun!!!!!!!!

And the winners are:

1st Place - Chris Mathes aka NCWoodworker - $50 gift certificate from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods.

2nd Place - Dean Charlier aka Alphageek - $25 gift certificate from Craft Supplies USA.

Honorable mention - Ron Sullivan aka Tea Clipper - Box of Blanks from wudnhed.

Winners, please contact me with your mailing info. and please drop a line to thank our prize donors. Thanks and congratulations!

All these guys are to be congratulated for their great pens.

1st Place NCWoodworker
20081915500_mattt.jpg

2nd Place Alphageek
200819155536_lefttt.jpg

Honorable Mention Tea Clipper
200819155958_ronn.jpg

Chuck Key
20081916827_chuk.jpg

maxwell_smart007
20081917651_andd.jpg

ken69912001
20081917926_knn.jpg

Stevej82
200819171121_stv.jpg

Badger
20081962617_badger.jpg

GaryMGg
20081962732_gary.jpg

Sparhawk
200819171739_hgo.jpg

YoYoSpin
20081917197_yooyo.jpg

rmartin
200819172044_ric.jpg

fernhills
20081917223_crl.jpg

its_virgil

Whew! It's a good thing Ron Mc doesn't know how to turn a slimline! Hey ron, If you want to enter I'll send you a kit and a set of bushings.:D:D:D[}:)]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

byounghusband

Originally posted by its_virgil

Whew! It's a good thing Ron Mc doesn't know how to turn a slimline! Hey ron, If you want to enter I'll send you a kit and a set of bushings.:D:D:D[}:)]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hey I wanted it to be a Slimline turned with a SKEW to really challange Ron!!!!;);)[}:)]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Becca. OK, the first one is a stock segmented SL. Are we allowed to ask what the next ones will be as some guys may not be able to make a pen in time to enter. [:I] ( Pretty please[:eek:)])

I know I'm cheeky, but someone had to ask[8D]

rherrell

Pictures only? Anybody can doctor up a pen to look good in a photo. Who's to say that the first time you use it it won't fall apart?
Why don't we all just send them to you, Becca?:D:D:D

fuzzydog

Once again Becca knows how to get the party rolling.:)
Happy New Year to everybody and Good Luck to everyone to enteries a pen.
I can't join the contest because I do my turning outside and it's a bit cold right now.
Becca, do you need a judge.
David

Ron Mc

Don and Bob...I have a problem here don't I.
I have read the term "Slimline" over and over and can't seem to figure out exactly what it is!
Don....I'm afraid that if you send a kit and some bushings they may get lost in the envelope!;)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Ron, given the precision with which your pens are constructed, I'm sure we can all understand that you are

<center>UNABLE</center>

to make it small enough for a slimline

That's OK!!

Scott

Tick tock, time is running out on this challenge! I hope everyone is furiously segmenting away, and will get their pictures in before the deadline! Did we mention that there are some really great prizes for each of these Penmaker's Challenges?

Scott.

tseger

Ya'll take a bunch of pictures while your making these pens and maybe some of us segment-challenged people will learn a new trick or two.
Tim

GaryMGg

Two questions:
1. Are there any restrictions as to who can enter?
2. Are there any other intended or inferred rules or can we accept what's written literally?
Now, to sneak off to the segmentation dungeon.
[}:)]:D:D

wudnhed

I don't think their are any restrictions on who can enter except the judges. I think the rules are good and if you find a loophole, well I guess that's my fault.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After a conversation this afternoon, I have a question: Can someone DEFINE "segmentation" and tell me where the definition CAME from?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Segmentation as it applies to penmaking-I can find PLENTY on marketing, but I can't find a definition that applies to making pens.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Originally posted by ed4copies

After a conversation this afternoon, I have a question: Can someone DEFINE "segmentation" and tell me where the definition CAME from?

Sure, it comes from the name of the Roman style of armor composed of little pieces loosely stitched together to allow freedom of movement...if my memory serves me correctly, it's called Lorica Segmentata :D :D :D

(Now that shows where I spent my money before turning - took WAY too many university courses!

Andrew

GaryMGg

Ed,
Put the pen on the lathe, start turning with dull scrapers and when the blank blows up, part off the bad spot, glue on an oops band and presto-magico --&gt;&gt; a segmented pen. [}:)]:D
Or ask Andrew, he seems to know. [:p];)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by GaryMGg

Ed,
Put the pen on the lathe, start turning with dull scrapers and when the blank blows up, part off the bad spot, glue on an oops band and presto-magico --&gt;&gt; a segmented pen. [}:)]:D
Or ask Andrew, he seems to know. [:p];)

See, now by that definition, I am a MASTER segmenter. If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have said I have only made one or two, none worth bragging about.

Is Diamondwood segmented???

How about "crazy block"?

What about "doweling" ???

Just wondering!!!

Chuck Key

This subject came up about a year ago here at IAP and was discussed in some detail among what I would consider members that are fairly experienced segmenters. Here is a link to the discussion:

http://162.42.234.18/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19560&SearchTerms=segment

To me the rules in this challenge seem to be set up to encourage as many entries as possible. They are stated in terms of any segementing, any materials and any plating. Pretty broad in my eyes. I hope so. I have just spent most of my spare time this week in a very cold shop coming up with an entry. I hope it is not disqualified by rule changes or specific criteria implemented in the last minutes of the challenge.

Chuckie

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks, Chuck.

My question really was not based on this contest. Just wondered, as I was reviewing some of Eagle's work (toothpicks, pentarsia, waves, feathers, etc), what makes a "segment" and what is just amazing art without a name??

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Looks like your discussion in Dec 06 really did not find an answer, either.

I don't think the purpose of this contest is to eliminate ANYTHING, but I was curious (being a plastic guy, a segment of one color can be mixed with another while they are both still liquid, resulting in a "pretty blank". I'd call this "goo-mixing", but the result is ___________) Certainly NOT segmented. So, can we start with "Ya gotta use different PIECES"?? Then, can those pieces be ANY shape, or MUST they be flat? Do the sides have to be parallel?

So, I did a half hour search of the web - woodworking sites - really no definition - so I thought I would ask here. APART FROM the contest, any clues???

For the contest, since there seems to be a general agreement that its a bunch of wood pieces (size and shape undefined) put together in any order or disorder that can be turned (by someone, not necessarily everyone) to make the pen that is presented as an entry in the contest. I think this will do and could NOT eliminate much of anything. And, that's the intent.

But, I still would like to arrive at a REAL definition, IF POSSIBLE - maybe it's still evolving.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So, if I insert a bunch of dowels into a piece of wood, it doesn't meet ANY of your definitions, cause it's not flat. So, I call this _______________ (a round pen, made from round objects that I glued together) Seems like a long title - It IS made of segments.

Is it segmented?

GaryMGg

Wow Ed, you're kinda serious for a change [}:)]

To me, a segmentation is a glue-up comprised of different pieces that may run with or against the grain but are not primarily a lamination.

I think you can segment dymondwood but buying a dymondwood blank, turning it and calling it a segmentation is only fooling yourself -- I don't think it'd win anything.
On the other hand, making your own blank that looks like a dymondwood segmentation would be fine except that it's really (afaik) a lamination. ;)

To complicate matters, I personally don't think of drilling a hole and doweling as segmenting but others might.
And I believe most of us don't think an inlay is a segmentation even though an inlay is often more complex than segmented work.

The real question is:
Did the contest rule writer intend for segmentation to mean a "glue-up" which is the most generic term OR were they really thinkin' segmentation as it's been discussed here in the past?

I, for one, hope they meant the more generic term glue-up as that'll include more folks but they really need to operationalize the definition of a segmentation for this contest.

FWIW, I didn't take any chances -- no one would argue my forthcoming submission is not a segmented pen. :D

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Oh Boy, Ed's on a roll tonight!!!![}:)]

I would say no matter where you <s>stick</s> insert your dowels, it would be considered a segment, provided you use glue!!!![}:)]:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gary,

I have not, nor do I intend to, enter.

I am NOT trying to cause trouble (for a change).

But, I believe, from the definitions offered, Segmentation SHOULD include lamination - they don't HAVE to be mutually-exclusive, do they???

If it's using segments of wood, it's segmented.

This, of course, also makes OSB (oriented strand board) a segmentation, composed of MANY segments. Comments?????

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by skiprat

Oh Boy, Ed's on a roll tonight!!!![}:)]

I would say no matter where you <s>stick</s> insert your dowels, it would be considered a segment, provided you use glue!!!![}:)]:D

Maybe.

But, if I just insert ONE dowel, does it compose a segment? Or is it an INSERT? But, if I make a LAYER of dowels, they are certainly a segment of the pen, therefore, its segmented????

We are agreed, it IS a GLUE_UP, unless I duct tape it together, then, when I turn it, its a DISASTER!!! DAMHIKT

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The following discussion is based primarily on the words of Malcolm J. Tibbetts, a world-renowned segmented turning master. I don't say this is definitive, but I think it's a pretty fair statement.

"Segmented turning is turning on a lathe where the initial workpiece is composed of multiple glued-together parts. The process involves gluing up several pieces of wood to create patterns and visual effects in turned projects.

Segmented turning is also known as polychromatic turning.

In traditional wood turning, the template is a single piece of wood. The size, grain orientation and colors of the wood, will frame how it can be turned into an object like a bowl, platter, or vase. With segmented turning, the size and patterns are limited only by imagination, skill and patience.

While the vast majority of segmented turnings are vessels of one sort or another, strictly speaking, any turned object comprising multiple pieces of glued wood could be classified as a segmented turning. Examples include pens, salt and pepper mills, and rolling pins. By cutting and re-assembling pieces after they are turned, unique forms can be created, crossing over to pure art."

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DCBluesman

The following discussion is based primarily on the words of Malcolm J. Tibbetts, a world-renowned segmented turning master. I don't say this is definitive, but I think it's a pretty fair statement.

"Segmented turning is turning on a lathe where the initial workpiece is composed of multiple glued-together parts. The process involves gluing up several pieces of wood to create patterns and visual effects in turned projects.
Segmented turning is also known as polychromatic turning.

In traditional wood turning, the template is a single piece of wood. The size, grain orientation and colors of the wood, will frame how it can be turned into an object like a bowl, platter, or vase. With segmented turning, the size and patterns are limited only by imagination, skill and patience.

While the vast majority of segmented turnings are vessels of one sort or another, strictly speaking, any turned object comprising multiple pieces of glued wood could be classified as a segmented turning. Examples include pens, salt and pepper mills, and rolling pins. By cutting and re-assembling pieces after they are turned, unique forms can be created, crossing over to pure art."

Bu this definition, which I like in general by the way, Segmentation would include flat-piece lamination. OR OSB. I have no problem with this, just wondering if they ARE mutually-exclusive. (Lamination and segmentation, that is)

Oh, and Thanks, Lou - always come up with a well-researched answer.:D

GaryMGg

Originally posted by ed4copies

Gary,

I have not, nor do I intend to, enter.
Hmmmm. You knew I was tryin' to drive out the competition didn't you?!? [}:)][:eek:)]

I am NOT trying to cause trouble (for a change).
I knew that -- I think. ;)

But, I believe, from the definitions offered, Segmentation SHOULD include lamination - they don't HAVE to be mutually-exclusive, do they???
If it's using segments of wood, it's segmented.
This, of course, also makes OSB (oriented strand board) a segmentation, composed of MANY segments. Comments?????

I wonder if a lamination is a specific sub-type of segmentation??

I've got to head out to a meeting but I think the discussion last year with Skip, Ron and others [might have included Eagle & me] had merit. Gotta give it more thought. Where's my Single barrel bourbon???? :D;)

Top Bottom