Pen in the Hat 2006! Absolute final update.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I got mine from John (Deere41h) today and all I can say is WOW! It's a beautiful closed end Baron FP in Chocolate Mint lucite. A truly exquisite addition to my personal collection!

20062234239_baronCR_chocmintCE.jpg
<br />

bmac

Airrat, just wanted to let you know your pen is on the way. I hope you enjoy it. The pen in the hat has been a lot of fun and I hope we continue doing this. It's a great way to see other pen turners work and correspond with other turners across the country.

Bobby
Louisiana

Woodnknots

I actually got my pen last week from jssmith3, but have been remiss in posting about it. It's a painted cigar pen, and the craftsmanship (craftwomanship) is exquisite!! Here's a pic of what is now one of my favorite pens.

2006223202555_paintedcigar.jpg
<br />

airrat

Thanks Bobby will keep an excited eye out.
Wow Dave that is a beautiful pen you received. Janet did a nice job. What is it made of? Did she paint under or over the finish?

Deere41h

Billy....Thanks for posting a picture of my pen. I failed to get one taken before I sent it. Do you mind if I add it to my Photos? Thanks also for the nice comments.

Glad you son is home safe.

jwoodwright

My pen arrived from Michael (MDWINE) and it is so Beautiful! Didn't realize there was so much dust in the air, can't see to type...
It will have a place of Honor along with Paul's from last years Pen-In-The-Hat. Thank you Michael.

200622434024_2006%20Pen-in-Hat%20007.jpg
<br />

jssmith3

Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />I actually got my pen last week from jssmith3, but have been remiss in posting about it. It's a painted cigar pen, and the craftsmanship (craftwomanship) is exquisite!! Here's a pic of what is now one of my favorite pens.

2006223202555_paintedcigar.jpg
<br />

Hi guys, for those of you asking how I did this and what wood I used, its very light maple so the painting would show up, I finished the pen then used 5 coats of CA/BLO, sanded to 12000 with MM, painted on this surface, then put another 5 coats of CA/BLO then sanded again to 12000 with the MM. This is only the second one of the painted ones I have done. I like them and have some more ideas of paintings to put on them.
Have a great evening everyone.

Janet :)

jssmith3

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Janet, I think you better have a bushel basket of those if you plan to sell pens at a craft show. Those are really great.[:p]

Thanks Gerry, I looked at your profile and my dad lives in Billings, MT. Small world isn't it [:)]

Have a great night.
Janet

punkinn

Finally...... I took photos of Angboy's gift to me in the Pen In The Hat exchange. A fantastic turquoise gemstone executive pen, and diamondwood pill box and compact! [:)]

2006224233823_S2IS1716.jpg

2006224233844_S2IS1717.jpg

You did an awesome job, Angela, and thank you VERY MUCH again!

Nancy

Woodnknots

[/quote]

Hi guys, for those of you asking how I did this and what wood I used, its very light maple so the painting would show up, I finished the pen then used 5 coats of CA/BLO, sanded to 12000 with MM, painted on this surface, then put another 5 coats of CA/BLO then sanded again to 12000 with the MM. This is only the second one of the painted ones I have done. I like them and have some more ideas of paintings to put on them.
Have a great evening everyone.

Janet :)
[/quote]

Wow, and I was worried about using it that the paint would wear off!!. Not worried anymore! I didn't realize how much finishing actually went into this pen. It really is an amazing pen!

pete00

ITS CHRISTMAS TIME AGAIN!!!

This was in the mail today from Bryan (jbyrd24)
This picture doesnt do it justice. the wood and finish is Gorgeous.
Bryan said its Boise de Rose, i've never seen it before.

The whole pen is.......well my wife said
"wow!!, hun...when are you going to make one like that, its beautiful"

My plan before i received it was to put it aside as a trophy but now that i have it, i need to use it for a while. Now i know what one is supposed to look like up close.

thank you Bryan, its just great...pete

200622532539_jbryd24.jpg
<br />

angboy

I wanted to post pictures of the great pen I got from Chris Higdon (chigdon). It's a cigar pen in black and white ebony, that came with his laser engraving and limited edition numbering, along with a very nice leather case. I've already put it on my display box, because it's too pretty and special to use! [:p][:p]

200622564953_ChigdonPeninHat2006Asmall.jpg
<br />

200622565018_ChigdonPeninHat2006BSmall.jpg
<br />

Thanks Chris!!!

laserturner

Mudder,
I'll be sending this out to you in Monday's mail. The wood is Afzelia Xlay and the inlay is quilted Maple.The kit is a Jr. Gent II in Titanium. I've always wanted to try counterfeiting. Don't show this to anyone!!

200622622653_100dollarpen.jpg
<br />

wayneis

This is a photo of the pen that I made for Tomservo. It is a white and black ebony Churchill finished as always with Enduro. I will ship when I get back in town, either Tues. or Wed.

Wayne

2006226183934_DSCN5444peninhat.jpg
<br />

M

Mudder

gerryr;

Your pen and a few of my "private stash blanks are going out Monday.
I hope that you enjoy using this pen as much as I enjoyed making it.

20062272209_Image4.jpg

M

Mudder

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />[:p][:p][:p][:p]I'll start waiting by the mailbox.

Isn't it kind of cold out there?
Might I suggest you capm at the mailbox on Thursday.
Be a little hard to use the pen if your frozen stiff as a board. [;)]

&lt;EDIT&gt; The package was dropped at the Post office first thing this morning.

Murphy

I got my pen from Mark (melogic) tonight. It caused him a lot of problems getting it shipped into Canada but to me was worth it.
It is a beautiful rosewood JR. Gentlemen. I have never seen one up close before. It is my new favourite pen. When I can get it from the men in my house that it.
Thanks Mark, we all love it.
Dale

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Murphy
<br />Hey Mudder, Is that pen what I think it is?

Black Ti Cagar made with home cast Cobra Skin.

Is that what you were thinking? [:D]

olsenla

I received my pen today from George (Geo in Winnipeg). It is an exquisite Ligero rollerball. He turned it from myrtlewood burl. The finish is laquer and it is impeccable. Thanks a lot George. I know it was a lot of trouble to send this from Canada, and I really appreciate it. This pen has a place of honor on my desk.

Thanks again,
Larry

Murphy

Home cast cobra skin? Well Gollly! I'm just too Canadian for that eh? I thought it looked like the pine cone pen I sent to Wayne. That is very much what the pine cones looked like turned, but I am sure in person they would look very different!
I like it. Do you make those blanks to sell? Maybe for a european pen?

Travlr7

Thought I'd take a moment and show my offering. It was a first without using the normal centerband. The pen is a Slimline kit. From tip to center is: Rose Corian, Ebony, Redheart, and Wenge; reversed towards the clip.

0063132112_My%202006%20pen%20in%20the%20hat%20gift.jpg
<br />

Thanks for lookin'

Bruce[;)]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Murphy
<br />Home cast cobra skin? Well Gollly! I'm just too Canadian for that eh? I thought it looked like the pine cone pen I sent to Wayne. That is very much what the pine cones looked like turned, but I am sure in person they would look very different!
I like it. Do you make those blanks to sell? Maybe for a european pen?

I remember your pinecone pen and unfortunately I'm not talented enough to make one, YET!

As to the skins, right now the pen is a one of a kind but when it gets warmer I'm going to stsrt trying to cast some so look for them in the spring or summer.

I just heard from Larry (Olsenla) that he received the pen I sent him. He said he wanted to post a pic but couldn't so here it is. It's a Ligero RB made with myrtlewood burl and finished with lacquer and TSW. I'm glad he's pleased with the pen. I know I enjoyed making it.[:)]

20063133338_Ligero%20Rollerball.jpg
<br />

olsenla

Thanks George for posting the picture. I am totally excited to have this pen. George did an excellent job of turning and finishing it. Thanks again George.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom