Pen Finishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm new to pen turning and have a lot to learn. The one question I have is when I finish my pen I sand it to 600 and use EEE and than the CA and I last use Novus should that work for a nice finish that will last

THANKS for all your help

GPJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I can't imagine it working - or at least lasting - the CA won't penetrate the wax - EEE. I would sand, CA, Sand, MM, polish - in that order

Dan Masshardt

Since you are new to turning, do yourself a favor and get yourself some pens plus and skip the ca to start. I'm moving away from ca but it still have a venerable and valuable place.

Old Codger

Greg...I tooo HATE CA finishes! I've recently switched to General Finishes Wood Turners Finish and LOVE it! I've used it on several pens and think it's every bit as good as CA or any other finish I've used for pens... It takes a bit longer than CA but much faster than most other finishes... Check out the General Finish web site and give it a try, you'll love it I'm sure... Safe turning to you!

Dan

Thanks for the input i think it will help me alot as just getting started and its just want i'm looking for and will work GOOD for me and for any other looking for an easy way to finish peds check out the Doc

THANKS again Dan and all others that gave input

gpj

kovalcik

Just to summarize the 3 options for you:

CA FInish
Pros: Most durable of the three mentioned. Gives a very high gloss finish when polished. CA builds up, so you can fine tune the pen body to the hardware.
Cons: Application can be finicky with a bit of a learning curve. Sensitive to changes in temp and humidity and age of CA. Some people are sensitive to the fumes. Some people claim the pens have a plasic feel.
Other: Goes on clear and does not change the color of the wood.

Pens plus:
Pros: Probably the quickest finish of the three. Pen has more of a wood feel. No fumes.
Cons: This is a oil/shellac/wax based finish, so it is also the softest of the three. It does not build very much. Not as glossy as CA and it will dull with use.
Other: Walnut oil in finish will change the wood color slightly.

Woodturners Finish:
Pros: Basically a thinned water based poly. No fumes. Not as hard a finish as CA but harder than Pens plus. Pen feel is between CA and Pens plus.
Cons: Takes longer to apply (drying time between coats). Does not build up as well as CA. Shine is not as glossy as CA.

I personnally have used all three finishes. They each have there place IMO, but CA is still my go-to finish for pens. These finishes are all applied on the lathe. There are other options, but since I have not used them I will let someone else bring them up. Also, this is my opinion based on my personal experiences. Feel free to comment on what I said above if your views differ from mine.

keithbyrd

Just to summarize the 3 options for you:

CA FInish
Pros: Most durable of the three mentioned. Gives a very high gloss finish when polished. CA builds up, so you can fine tune the pen body to the hardware.
This is my favorite - took some practice but it is the go to finish for me. A fan blowing over my shoulder solves all the fume problems!
Cons: Application can be finicky with a bit of a learning curve. Sensitive to changes in temp and humidity and age of CA. Some people are sensitive to the fumes. Some people claim the pens have a plastic feel.

Pens plus:
Pros: Probably the quickest finish of the three. Pen has more of a wood feel. No fumes.
Cons: This is a oil/shellac/wax based finish, so it is also the softest of the three. It does not build very much. Not as glossy as CA and it will dull with use.
Other: Walnut oil in finish will change the wood color slightly.
Never used but need to give it a shot

Woodturners Finish:
Pros: Basically a thinned water based poly. No fumes. Not as hard a finish as CA but harder than Pens plus. Pen feel is between CA and Pens plus.
Cons: Takes longer to apply (drying time between coats). Does not build up as well as CA. Shine is not as glossy as CA.
Have tried this on 4 pens - do not like it. I have not been able to get a finish without a "crackle" look embedded. Thought I was applying coats to quick so slowed down etc etc - still haven't got a good finish with it.

I personnally have used all three finishes. They each have there place IMO, but CA is still my go-to finish for pens. These finishes are all applied on the lathe. There are other options, but since I have not used them I will let someone else bring them up. Also, this is my opinion based on my personal experiences. Feel free to comment on what I said above if your views differ from mine.

My thoughts in red above

raar25

Greg that is how I do it as well when I need a glass like finish. Just make sure you clean the bank with denatured alcohol after you use EEE.

Top Bottom