Pen disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussBerg

I have been turning pens for about four years. To disassemble a pen I have always used a punch set. Now that I am turning Majestic level pens I have fount a punch set won't disassemble them. I have decided to invest in a disassembler and would like to know which one I should buy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Possibly etch with ferric chloride? I haven't done it, but looks like you could spray paint the cap, use a laser to cut the design, etch, and then remove paint.

Kenny Durrant

I agree with Carl. The Penn State Press is one of the best investments I've made. When I used the punch set and a hammer I was bending nibs and ruining the plastic threads in rollerball caps. I still use the punch set but I use the press instead of the hammer. I have yet to ruin a pen part while using it. Since it also assembles pens there's only a need for the one tool.

mnerland

I made a lot of pens, with a bench vise for assembly, and punches and a hammer for disassembly. A few years ago, I got the pennstate press. Felt like a fool for not doing it sooner. Highly recommend: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESSXL.html
I will 2nd this! I too, did the vice press for awhile. This is a great tool to have for assembly and disassembly. There is a built in notch also, so you don't ruin your clips on disassembly. Just wish I could figure a way to disassemble a click pen with the plastic mechanism.

Jans husband

I will 2nd this! I too, did the vice press for awhile. This is a great tool to have for assembly and disassembly. There is a built in notch also, so you don't ruin your clips on disassembly. Just wish I could figure a way to disassemble a click pen with the plastic mechanism.
I have disassembled a click pen like this.

Unscrew the button at the end of the finial.
That allows the spring for the mechanism to fall out, and also the more flexible parts of the click assembly.
Use a rod which is a tight fit into the other end and tap gently onto the harder and more robust plastic click mechanism which is attached to the clip assembly. That knocks out the finial clip assembly.
I tried this method after suggestions from Mal and Curly in October 2020 and there is a thread about it on the forum.

Hope that helps-no guarantee but it worked on my pen, but there are different manufacturers as Mal said at the time.

Best of luck,

Mike

David350

I too really like the Penn State Industries Pen press. I use it always for assembly and disassembly. Quick funny note, when I first started making pens, I wondered why anyone would want to take a pen apart. Of course I found out why pretty quick :)

I mounted my pen press to a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, a couple of inches larger than the base of the pen press. I then drilled holes through the plywood on all four corners, with a countersink on the bottom side to accept a nut. I then inserted 4 small bolts (about 1 1/4 inch long) through the top of the plywood, and attached the nuts in the countersink in the bottom. I then placed the assembly on my worktable where I would be using it and tapped all 4 corners with my hammer. I then drilled the 4 dimples I made in my worktop with a drill bit the size of the bolts. This makes it quick and easy to securely hold your pen press without clamps while using, yet allows you to quickly pick it up and hang it on the wall while not in use.

TonyL

I have had 3 presses (including the one that begins with an M). The one I use is the penpressxl (referenced above). I only use it for disassembly. I paid for itself after 4 pens. It is not perfect, but neither was banging the parts out with a hammer :).

Good info here as I've been toying with the idea of getting this press. Right now my disassembly is done by launching the pen across the shop into the wall. I've ruined a few pens, this press might stop that.

jjjaworski

This is an interesting thread. I had no idea there was a dis-assembly pen press.
I have always held the barrel in my hand and used a punch and a hammer with short brisk taps like and inertia bullet puller. Never had one fly across the shop yet. I am too old for that kind of excitement I think . It's bad enough when I realize I have to take a pen apart.

Sounds like a good investment though since it is easier to control.

Top Bottom