Broken Clips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
06: Broken Clips
last post: 05- Sanding Tubes Quickly
f1.jpg
This is one of the very few true "slim" pens I made years ago that has survived without damage.

The Problem
As my confidence and enthusiasm for pen turning was on the rise I began making slimline pens for co-workers. But I began getting feedback that the clips were breaking with alarming frequency. The pens were getting heavy use: living in shirt and jacket pockets.
I thought perhaps the parts were defective or I was just "getting what I paid for" since the kits were budget friendly.

What I Eventually Realized
(Not rocket surgery.)
It took me dozens of pens to notice the only clips that failed were on extremely thin pen bodies.
f2.jpg

If the pen body was around 9mm in diameter or less, the clip needed to do a lot of work and the stress would almost certainly cause it to fail sooner rather than later.
If the pen's body was roughly 10mm or wider the clips held up well to regular use.
Once I figured this out I had no more problems.

Summary
A pen with a broken clip is an eyesore. It is sometimes repairable, but if it happened once it will likely happen again. IMHO it is better to design the pen with a slightly thicker body and hopefully avoid a broken clip altogether.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hokie

If the pen body was around 9mm in diameter or less, the clip needed to do a lot of work and the stress would almost certainly cause it to fail sooner rather than later.
If the pen's body was roughly 10mm or wider the clips held up well to regular use.
I'm not sure I understand the connection between diameter and clip integrity. Can you elaborate on that? If you lift the clip up, the force goes to the same place (the bend at the top) regardless of how much wood is underneath the length of the clip it, doesn't it?

Wmcullen

Hi Hokie:
I'm not an engineer so don't take this as anything more than my opinion based on observation and hunch.

I think when people dig their fingernail under the clip and pull it open, they don't pull it open a "set" amount. Instead they pull the clip open until it almost reaches maximum resistance. If the clip has a long way to swing, like with a thin body (small diameter) pen, that top piece gets stressed over and over again and begins to weaken until it breaks.

If the body is thicker, then the clip is already partially tensioned and doesn't swing open as far.

Thanks for the question... it gave me a reason to think it through. Again, your mileage may vary.
Cullen
1.jpg

Nanoqx

Hey how about this,
On the skinny pens the clip actually gets used because on the large pens the clip is too tight to easily slide over the shirt pocket, yes, no, maybe?
Just a thought...

Tgscinta

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
This is one of the very few true "slim" pens I made years ago that has survived without damage.

The Problem
As my confidence and enthusiasm for pen turning was on the rise I began making slimline pens for co-workers. But I began getting feedback that the clips were breaking with alarming frequency. The pens were getting heavy use: living in shirt and jacket pockets.
I thought perhaps the parts were defective or I was just "getting what I paid for" since the kits were budget friendly.

What I Eventually Realized
(Not rocket surgery.)
It took me dozens of pens to notice the only clips that failed were on extremely thin pen bodies.
View attachment 295052

Summary
A pen with a broken clip is an eyesore. It is sometimes repairable, but if it happened once it will likely happen again. IMHO it is better to design the pen with a slightly thicker body and hopefully avoid a broken clip altogether.
Thanks for this messag! I haven't had any of the few slimline pens I've made ha this problem but I'm eager to learn anything to look out for. Knowledge is Power right?
Best Wishe,
Tony

JWinIndiana

The majority of any broken clips is students that "clip" them to their jeans pockets. To thick of material. Since I have started cautioning them about this, greatly reduced broken clips.

PreacherJon

Interesting theory.

I consider them just decorative... I never use a clip... it goes in my pants pocket or stays on the desk.

Top Bottom